Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Rodeo Ride Handling

Old 10-17-2003, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Rodeo Ride Handling

Hey everyone,
Has anyone had any problems with suspension on the highway? A woman I sold an xB to was complaining of some steering shimmy at high speeds. I was guessing that maybe the wheels needed balancing, but figured it didn't matter since I was going to put some 17" alloys on the car the next day....when the new wheels were put on, the dude who swapped them for me told me that it was still doing it, even though they were balanced twice, and aligned too! I drove the car myself on the highway, and didn't notice any difference from my xB....then I went from the 8 onto the 805N, and all of a sudden it was like riding a rodeo bull, I thought I had a flat! This leads me to believe that it's not the wheels, but rather the suspension. Anyone have any similar problems, or heard of anything like this? I haven't had any problems with mine, and none of my other customers have had anything like this happen.
drew
Old 10-17-2003, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

never heard of such thing...

i think u're right...it's more than likely the suspension...either the shock is malfunctioning or something...

1st scion lemon? haha... probably not.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rough handling on certain freeways

I've noticed the rough bumpy ride on certain freeways only, if that is what you are talking about? It only happens on certain freeways that have the cookie cutter type slabs placed about 10 feet from each other.

My car had the strut bar when I bought it and it was even worse. Took the bar out and helped a lot. But still feel that bumpiness on certain older freeways in Southern California...
Old 10-17-2003, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think that it has a lot to do with the road (it didn't bump on the 8, but did like crazy on the 805), however, it's more than just bumps. I mean, it was bad enough where I thought I had a flat. The whole car shimmied like crazy. I actually talked to one of the guys from Scion corporate today, and he said he hadn't heard anything about it. I'm going to have her bring the car in again and see if the mechanics can't find out what the heck it is. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the road/freeway. My wife said it made her sick because it was so bouncy on certain freeways! I guess it is the rough suspension and the small size of the car which can make it more bouncy..good luck and let me know if you hear anything else..
Old 10-17-2003, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i have struts with 2" drop sway bars and a brace, and the ride is pretty damn bumpy? That is what you expect from a car that is so low to the ground. If you have never riden in a lowered car with good suspention, than you have no idea what Im talking about. You feel every bump in the road. Some, like me, like that. Other would rather drive a caddy, and float all over the place...
Old 10-17-2003, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default oh man..

oh man...a Cadillac is my favorite...can't beat the ride....but I still choose the Scion...
Old 10-18-2003, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

its normal, thats the stock suspension, very stiff
Old 07-24-2004, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had the strut tower tie bar put in knowing it might make the car a bit bouncy and stiff but boy it sure is great on the back road twisties! Highway ride is pretty compliant for a small car.