Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Should I keep it or sell it....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 PM

Default Should I keep it or sell it....

Hey everyone!
I have a one owner 06 scion XB 3.0 release with 185,000 miles.
its automatic and in awesome shape. I am kinda scared at this mileage
that the future holds transmission problems...
it hasn't acted up and it has the original fluid in it... so here's my questions for you expert scion lovers..

1- think I should change the fluid ? it has all those miles..will it hurt ?
have the local Toyota/ scion dealer do it?
2- I have several offers around $5,000 for it should I just sell it?

I am thinking I want to keep it and let my daughter drive it for her first car.

so let me know what you think... THANKS !!!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the deal with changing the fluid after that many miles, so many moving parts are worn and the current fluid has broken down to a point where the worn parts and the fluid work in perfect harmony. It's a transmission thing... Anyways, if you put fresh fluid in there, those worn parts are clink and clank and wear quicker, if not, have major issues. This is more-so with a manual transmission. Automatics generally react quite well with a fluid change, but with almost 200k miles, I'd say "hang it up". $5,000 is quite a chunk of change for that 9 year old box. But if you are needing a car for your daughter, then I'd definitely hang on to it, assuming your budget is limited to around that price. Assuming, since you're the only owner, you know everything about the car and took care of it so you know it's good. It's tough spending $5k on a car for your daughter that you don't know about. You'd rather hang on to it since you know everything about it. I'd hang on to it if your daughter will be driving soon, assuming you have your own cash to throw down on a new vehicle for yourself.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM

I have known the car since new. Was debating changing the transmission fluid or not too. I have other vehicles that I drive. Was thinking about keeping the car for my daughter since it is in super nice shape. Especially for a first car. Like you were saying I buy a different car the history will be a guess..
Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Here's the deal with changing the fluid after that many miles, so many moving parts are worn and the current fluid has broken down to a point where the worn parts and the fluid work in perfect harmony. It's a transmission thing... Anyways, if you put fresh fluid in there, those worn parts are clink and clank and wear quicker, if not, have major issues. This is more-so with a manual transmission. Automatics generally react quite well with a fluid change, but with almost 200k miles, I'd say "hang it up". $5,000 is quite a chunk of change for that 9 year old box. But if you are needing a car for your daughter, then I'd definitely hang on to it, assuming your budget is limited to around that price. Assuming, since you're the only owner, you know everything about the car and took care of it so you know it's good. It's tough spending $5k on a car for your daughter that you don't know about. You'd rather hang on to it since you know everything about it. I'd hang on to it if your daughter will be driving soon, assuming you have your own cash to throw down on a new vehicle for yourself.

Good to know, thanks. If I get a 42k 2012 automatic, it'd be good to change the trans fluid, and have the chance to keep changing it over the life of the car.