Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

The Truth about Voiding your Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew

Alright so this is sorta like what the "Scion guy" at the dealership told me, except he told me if i were to have even the TRD intake that it would void the warranty
because then the computer would suck in more air hence make the motor work harder. He said a intake can suck in water and things and if proven will void your warranty.

My question would be if I installed headers and per se my motor kicks the bucket, couldn't i just put the stock headers back on. Hence they never saw it and can't prove it.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-11-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

The point to this whole post is you don't even have to take them of, at least to some degree. the dealership has to prove that your aftermarket part is the cause for the failure.
And all I can say is your legal representative would be HORRIBLE if he let your warranty get voided when the situation is a blown engine because of an intake.

You have dealt with the classic ____ salesman that loves intimidating us 20 year old kids coming in looking to mod. my guess is this guy has not caught on to what Scion is trying to do.

The basic Cliff notes version to sum it all up...

ANY PART YOU ADD IS NOT COVERED BY YOUR FACTORY WARRANTY. You add and Injen intake, and it snaps, Toyota is not buying you a new one

IF YOUR ENGINE (or any Toyota part for that matter) FAILS, YOUR DEALERSHIP MUST PROVE IT IS CAUSED BY IMPROPER MODIFICATION OR DRIVER ABUSE. if you install a ZPI turbo, and your tranny overheats,
you have a fight on your hands. If you install a pulley, and your electric system starts acting up, you have a fight on your hands. you install a Big Brake Kit, and your engine blows, then you have an EASY fight on your hands.

I apologize for the giant type, but this cannot be stressed enough to our new modding members. they want to void your warranty, tell them to prove it you paid for it! They better bring some lawyers to tell me why they are taking it away

<----law student

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-11-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-22-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

/\ he's on my side
Old 09-23-2006, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

haha, thanks... i think?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the dealer told me i can mod the car and not void anything but they will not replace worn out parts if the mod shows its obvious abuse to the car
Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

exactly... that is a good dealership... like i was saying, if you add an alternator pulley and your electrical system starts acting up, your dealership can tell you u r sol, as you r causing strain on the car (argueably)... your dealer is also obviously not liable of any part you installed yourself... no brainer, just had to put it out there...
Old 10-04-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Holy bajeezers Batman! You're my hero! I will never have another question about my warranty again! You deserve a trophy!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

SkaTG2k3, can I hire you when sue for blowing up my entire car by adding a decal to the rear windshield?

Would be my luck...LOL

Thanx all, for this most pertinent info.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by thegermangemini
SkaTG2k3, can I hire you when sue for blowing up my entire car by adding a decal to the rear windshield?

Would be my luck...LOL

Thanx all, for this most pertinent info.
sure im there... but first i must for blowing up your xa in the first place... that takes dedication and talent!
Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew

I was speaking with the Scion guy at the dealership i bought my car from and i wanted to see if his answer is the trust so tell me what you guys think. I told him i was going to have a header installed and he said just make sure I don't trigger a CEL (i.e. the CEL shutoff bunge fails) because if that happens the comp will keep it in memory and when i come to have it inspected they will fail me instantly. Does this sound right? He says the NYS computer scans are very sensitive and will notice things like that and throw a red light and not allow them to give me an inspection sticker.

My local garage on the other hand said that if I had it inspected through them and per say my O2 sensor was unplugged and in plain sight, as long as their isn't a CEL right on when they check it they would give me a sticker.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

really?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got my car back from repairs after a car accident on the highway. The insurance bill was about $6,0000. Now, I notice that one of my rims is messed up. I don't know if it was done by them accidently while fixing it or not cause it like a long peel of metal coming off the edge of the rim.

Does the warranty replace something like the rim?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice thread. My friend need this info
Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

So does installing TRD parts not void your warranty? From reading the act, it sounds like it still would.

e.g. I install TRD springs and something messes up and is shown to be caused by the new springs. Will Toyota fix whatever under warranty or not
Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i find his very interesting.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion

(a) Full (statement of duration) or limited warranty
Any warrantor warranting a consumer product by means of a written warranty shall clearly and conspicuously designate such warranty in the following manner, unless exempted from doing so by the Commission pursuant to subsection (c) of this section:

(1) If the written warranty meets the Federal minimum standards for warranty set forth in section 2304 of this title, then it shall be conspicuously designated a ''full (statement of duration) warranty''.

(2) If the written warranty does not meet the Federal minimum standards for warranty set forth in section 2304 of this title, then it shall be conspicuously designated a "limited warranty".

(b) Applicability of requirements, standards, etc., to representations or statements of customer satisfaction
This section and sections 2302 and 2304 of this title shall not apply to statements or representations which are similar to expressions of general policy concerning customer satisfaction and which are not subject to any specific limitations.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-11-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member

I just recently bought a Scion tC so im new to all this. So to play it safe I should just stick to OEM and TRD parts?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An easy way around this is to pull your after market parts off before you take it in for warranty work... it is amazing what the dealer will cover if they don't see any mods.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Revoluscion

Warranty voiding is a byproduct of the things geeks like to do most: tinker, tweak, and personalize. There are a 1,001 ways to void your warranty including modding your game console, jail breaking your iPhone, rooting your Android phone, upgrading your router with DD-WRT, and other tricks that customize, tweak, and liberate your geek gear. Whether it’s because the product ships missing functionality and you have to reclaim it by hacking it or because you just can’t stand to let your gear stay stock, we want to hear about your warranty voiding adventures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-11-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member

One thing that every car owner must know about the fact that they should have a appropriate choice. While buying a car from a dealer it doesn’t follow that he also use the same people for his car maintenance and repairs. What if he don’t like their services?
Do you still have to deal with them? The truth is that he can always go to an independent repair and maintenance facility. However, there are car manufacturers that offer free services while buying their cars like in the case of BMW.
You can save more if you avail such services straight from the dealers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-11-2019 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge

Quick Reply: The Truth about Voiding your Warranty