Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Weird Issue with Headlights/Hi-Beam

Old 08-30-2014, 12:18 AM

Default Weird Issue with Headlights/Hi-Beam

Okay so last month I was driving one night and noticed my Hi-beam indicator on my gauge cluster wasn't working. I did some searches and came back with no solutions short of soldering a new led into it or a better option send it to ledmod for a center tach conversion and full color & face swap. Why not its less than half what the dealership wants for a new gauge cluster - $468 vs. under $200.
Anyway fast forward to yesterday. So as I'm getting into the car I notice on the wall that my high beams are on (indicators out) and the passenger side has an out bulb or ballast or both, idk at that point. Fortunately Ive had HID's since the week I got the car 5 years ago and am familiar with there sometimes finicky nature and I have spare ballasts and bulbs on hand for just such an event (thanks to eBay). So I grab the ballasts and bulbs I have thinking I have at least one Hi or a low that will work. Rather than fix it when I arrived I decided I'd replace it quick and I wouldn't have to dick with it over the weekend.
This is where I get annoyed. So I start to troubleshoot to determine if its the bulb or ballast. I tested the bulb with the Low ballast and discovered the bulb was shot. I had 2 new ones on hand w/ ballast so I change the bulb & no dice. Move on to the ballast. New one goes in and no dice again. So now I go to the fuse box. The Rh HL-Hi 10a fuse is shot. Replaced the fuse and checked the others for gits & shiggles and they were good. Flip the lights on again.... No f**kin dice. I then do some searches on here clubsciontc and club-tc and found that it could be a relay after coming across a diagram of the fuse box. I talked to the dealer and they cant get a relay until Tuesday. Advanced is going to have one tomorrow. Its a $25 relay and Im not sure this will work since I pulled it and to my untrained eye it wasn't burnt and looked fine. I put it back in and now suddenly my Hi indicator is working again after a month of nothing. I'm confused, has anyone else had this issue? Did I miss something in my search? Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 02:15 AM

Okay, so thanks for all the help... Anyway I got the relay yesterday and put it in to no avail. The bulb still wouldn't come on. While I was up north I was able to get my hands on a volt meter (didn't think to grab mine) and tested the drivers Hi and then the pas. Hi I wasn't getting any power at all testing it the way the plug indicates. Well as I'm looking at it I notice the the factory plug was installed backwards. I'd uploaded the picture to show you but its on clubsciontc. Anyway after I discover this I realize that when I finally mounted the ballasts with screws, I must have plugged it in as the locks on the plugs should be, but on my tC that isn't the case for the pas. Hi beams socket. So that is where that problem was, I was plugging in negative to positive. Doing that must have blown the fuse at some point there by causing the Hi indicator to go out (letting me know there's an issue). So lesson learned I guess. You would've thought I'd have discovered that by now but who knows, Michigan is a medical state after all *wink wink.
The dealership told me there wasn't a fix, ha anyway to anyone with there Hi-beam indicator out it means you have a blown fuse in your under hood fuse box.

Mods can lockup / delete this thread.