Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

What the???? [Windshield Water Leak] HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default What the???? [Windshield Water Leak] HELP

So it rained pretty hard in pacific beach last night, no biggy. Until I went out to my xB thismorning. The entire inside of my car on the front is drenched!!!! I think a seal in the windshield is faulty or something, because the fabric on the inside of my car above the windshield all the way around to the front doors is stained a gross brown and drenched. I popped off the A-pillar covers, and there was water actually pooled inside of them.
Have any of you guys heard anything about this? My doors and windows were all closed, and I have no idea how this happened.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

We had a ton of rain over the weekend and our xB was outside for it all and stayed dry inside. There was even a point on Saturday night when I was sitting at a light and a truck came from the opposite direction and this huge tidal wave completely covered the front half of the car. I haven’t seen any staining, or felt any wetness, or for that matter smelled anything musty in the car. I would recommend taking it down to a Toyota dealership ASAP and let them sort it out.

Good Luck, I hope that it gets resolved quickly; it is only the start of the rainy season so our fingers are crossed for you and your ride.

Vicki
Old 11-12-2003, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: What the???? HELP

Originally Posted by DibujoB
So it rained pretty hard in pacific beach last night, no biggy. Until I went out to my xB thismorning. The entire inside of my car on the front is drenched!!!! I think a seal in the windshield is faulty or something, because the fabric on the inside of my var above the windshield all the way around to the front doors is stained a gross brown and drenched. I popped off the A-pillar covers, and there was water actually pooled inside of them.
Have any of you guys heard anything about this? My doors and windows were all closed, and I have no idea how this happened.
Sounds like a warranty issue to me! Not much question about the windshield seal leaking if you're getting water in above the pillers. IIRC, there was another big leak discovered a couple of years ago by someone else on this forum.

George
Old 11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Just put my car into service (it had to sit yesterday all damp and gross...i could have brought it in then but it was my first day off in too long and I had to go surfing (you know, HAD to :wink: ).
Anyway, the service advisors said they'd try to find the source of the leak and let me know. It looks like the roof is going to have to be re-upholstered, etc etc etc...aaaaaah! at least I'll get a rental car, because driving a 2002 focus is almost as nice as my xB.
I mentioned to our corporate rep today (he was down visiting) that my car had flooded, and he was shocked. I guess nobody else has had this problem. I was the lucky fluke.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if anyone that has put in a bike rack that had to be bolted in has had this problem... Reason I ask is I am thinking of installing one...
Old 11-13-2003, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just heard back from the service tech...here's the news:
The windshield was improperly sealed, and that's why I had fish and stuff swimming around in my car. They're fixing that for me today.
They had to order a new...whatever the heck you call it...roof carpet??? Head liner?? Whatever that felt stuff is that covers the entire roof of the car...that all has to be replaced because it's brown and moldy now.
I'm hoping no water got into the electronics and that my wires aren't rusting and shorting out as we speak.
arrrrgh
Old 11-13-2003, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Makes me think twice about having an aftermarket moonroof put in ...
Old 11-13-2003, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this wasn't an aftermarket moonroof or anything...in fact, the aftermarket roofs we've never had any problems with at all....this was my straight up factory windshield!
Old 11-13-2003, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionmag
I wonder if anyone that has put in a bike rack that had to be bolted in has had this problem... Reason I ask is I am thinking of installing one...
With anything that bolts throught the roof the key is sealing the fastener. You need a seal under the head of the fastener and between the rack mount and the roof.

You _don't_ want a seal on the inside of the roof because you want any tiny droplets of water that might get through to evaporate, not be held in place to cause corrosion.

I _really_ wish that Toyota had provided hard points on the roof for a rack. They had to weld a clip on each end for the plastic "drip rail" strips, so why couldn't they have added a threaded hole to each clip?

George
Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DibujoB
They had to order a new...whatever the heck you call it...roof carpet??? Head liner
Hey, while the headliner's out, could you get some pictures of the underside of the roof? I want to see what the structure under there is like before I start taking my xB apart!

George
Old 11-14-2003, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah, I'll try. As soon as the new one comes in, I'll ask the service dudes to page me when they yank the old one out. Then I'll steal someone's digital camera and get some shots.
drew
Old 11-14-2003, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Looks like I'm the only one with this problem...which is a good thing.
anyway, headliner on back order, but I don't mind driving around with a stained dirty one for a few days.
hopefully nothing like this will happen again...if it does, I'll be ____ed. I'd hate to have to re-seal my windshield every year
Old 11-14-2003, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

I hope this is not a problem with the scion. This is not the first time this problem has been posted. What does everone thing. I would like to see some pics.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is the first time it's been posted...I've just been posting it repeatedly to keep everyone updated on how it's getting resolved, and because i wanted to see if it had happened to anyone else.

No onther person on any of the forums complained of the same thing. also, Corporate is extremely up front and helpful about stuff like this, and they said so far I'm the only lucky person with the leaky windshield, and it was a fluke case.

As for pics, unfortunately my low-tech, non-computer owning, sorry azz doesn't have any. I tried to snap some of the dirty headliner with a guy at the dealership's digital camera, but it didn't come out too well. Sorry :(

Scion/Toyota makes an awesome quality product, I love my xB, and I'm sure that once they reseal the windshield/replace my dirty headliner (something that takes about 5 minutes once the part gets in) I'll be all good to go.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have both the roof rack and moonroof ... no issues at all, even through the rain we've gotten