Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

The Best Performing Rear Wing for the FRS/BRZ/FT86

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:42 PM
MRE

Default The Best Performing Rear Wing for the FRS/BRZ/FT86

Hey FT86 Owners and Enthusiasts!

I'm currently working on creating an aftermarket rear wing for the FRS/BRZ/FT86. Currently there are already many choices out there, but I want to stand out from the rest by producing one that has ultra high performance. I started out 2 years ago when I wanted improved lap times on the track through aero mods. After studying the subject and researching the many companies that sell performance aero parts, I've concluded that many of them wouldn't give me the performance gains I was looking for. My background is engineering from UBC, and I took full advantage of the resources and knowledge I have access to and started from scratch in designing my own rear wing.

After over 80 different iterations designs and CFD testing, this rear wing is the result.

S C I O N F R S Photos by lolersk8ter | Photobucket

Design for the wing elements and position is set.
The wing mount for the final product will adopt this look, with perhaps some adjustments. The base of the mount is also up for design changes.
So far, there are 3 different endplate designs:
  • #1 is the most conservative, cosmetically. Produces the least downforce. Best used at 0° to 15°
  • #2 produces more downforce much more efficiently, with higher downforce and less drag. This is the by-product of endplate #3. Designed to be used at 25°
  • #3 is the the direct by-product from the experimental wing in the simulation. Produces over more 10% downforce compared to the shorter endplate.
The only thing finalized so far are the wing element profiles and positioning with one another. I have suppliers and manufacturers ready. The only thing left for me now is to spread word of what I have and collecting interests. Creating a website is also desired too. I plan on expanding this wing to other car chassis with different mount designs. In the near future, I will also work on a diffuser, undertray, and diffuser for the FRS that will yield the highest downforce gain in the market.

I hope this doesn't go against this forum's rules as advertising. I decided to post this here instead of the dedicated FRS subforum because this has much more traffic, and the other doesn't have much activity at all. Please express your thoughts and opinions. Ask questions if you have any. Any feedback is appreciated.

I hope to get CFD results of the wing on the car soon.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member

It looks like some nice work. Congratulations on your project. It looks like your using Solid Works software and their CFD as you said. When I worked as an engineering I was doing Pro-engineer, but never did the CFD software.

Please excuse my ignorance, but does your wing move for different driving conditions? If the wing opens and rotates, what makes the wing move? Are there cables or pneumatics or hydraulics that move the wing?

Also, there appears to be a lot of the wing that extends farther then the boundaries of the width of the car, and it also looks like it extends beyond the rear of the car. Is your wing for regular driving, or is it for racing?

Is the construction made mostly of rolled, bent and sheared sheet metal? Perhaps some hemmed edges?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:55 AM
MRE

The CFD was done with Ansys Fluent and CFX. The wing's angle of attack is not dynamic while under operation.

This wing can be for both. I am creating a product and listing out the specs and what it can be done with it, but it is up to the customer's imagination to decide what to do with it, even if it's for cosmetic reasons.

The base of the mount will be bolted/welded aluminum most likely. The member will most likely be made from carbon fiber foam core sandwich. The wing ribs most likely made from machined aluminum. Endplates will be carbon fiber core sandwich. Wings will be 3 layer carbon fiber (Uni-Uni-2x2Twill) with 2lb polyurethane foam core.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member

No wing at all looks the best on the Hatchi. Reminds me of the Berlinetta from Maranello. my 0.02c