Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Scion Is Floundering and It's About to Get Worse

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:48 PM

Default Scion Is Floundering and It's About to Get Worse

First, Scion's North American CEO wanted to turn the brand into a sub premium marque. Then they came out and said they also want to lower the age of the company’s average buyer. Now the company is adding two new vehicles designed to do neither of those things. Ugh.

Read the rest on the ScionLife homepage. >>
Old 01-17-2015, 07:31 AM
SL Member

The original lineup was about unique features/styling and a low price point. Still remember getting my xA for $13,500. Nowadays? Can't touch that.

Since Daihatsu is Toyota, why not dig deep and release the Mira es?
766,000 Yen or about $6,400 USD (at 120 Yen to $1)!!

Yes, $6,400 USD for a car that has more legroom than the original xA, has features like auto-collision stop, gas mileage that kills most compacts and beats the Prius (35.2 km/l which converts to 82mpg, but their test is different than the USA's. Since the Prius is 30-32 km/l, this means the es gets about 50~MPG)!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member

The camry and corolla are not "terrible" cars. Comparatively, Volkswagen is incredibly successful at selling hatchbacks and sedans to the "younger crowd" (ie: golf and jetta respectively). To say the brand is floundering just because they want to introduce new vehicles is unfair.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The real problem is the brand management doesn’t know what its market is; or what it’s reputed to offer. Of the latter, outstanding value and distinctive appearance in sporty and utility vehicles is it. They stand out in a crowd (or a least the xBs do). I bought because of the room, utility, exceptional value and after market customizability (so I can make it MY car, affordably). And it was fun to drive—something I still enjoy with 110k miles on the odometer.

The iM looks like every other hatchback wagon out there - particularly the Mazda 3. Nothing distinctive there. And taking another mark’s car and gussing it up and rebadging just blurs brand identity and kills the line. (Look at GM, Ford, Chrysler and the death of their car lines).

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-26-2015, 01:25 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and that's why they all drive chevy impalas
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have fired those guys back in 06-07. Discontinuing xB1 and continuing production of their least selling xA , re badging into xD. That stuff is so messed up...
Old 02-22-2015, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

I have a first gen RS2 XB, a second gen RS7 xB and was really hoping to get a RS 3rd gen xB. Now it looks like that won't happen. I think Scion has lost its direction and management hasn't a clue which way to go.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem with demographic specific marketing. Scion should have done more to market its reliability and fun, instead of just focusing on being young and hip. Problem with youth is you dont stay young forever. The kids who bought Scions in 06-2010 now drive Camry's...meh.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Flyfishfreak
Problem with demographic specific marketing. Scion should have done more to market its reliability and fun, instead of just focusing on being young and hip. Problem with youth is you dont stay young forever. The kids who bought Scions in 06-2010 now drive Camry's...meh.
That is the point, fish on!
Old 10-09-2015, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mpoulsen40
The camry and corolla are not "terrible" cars. Comparatively, Volkswagen is incredibly successful at selling hatchbacks and sedans to the "younger crowd" (ie: golf and jetta respectively). To say the brand is floundering just because they want to introduce new vehicles is unfair.

The Corolla is a nice looking car with weird options..
The Camry is a bland Buick with no frills, but they are both reliable people carriers nothing else..

Till about 1997 the corolla was a great car, since you could get it loaded, with every option and a manual transmission. You could also eventually buy a used one, and tune on it to make some decent horsepower.
The Camry V6 with a manual transmission was a poor mans BMW, it's now a rich man's Buick..

Unfortunately I think Toyota has fallen completely off..
and eventually Scion will be gone, because you can't maintain a car company with cars branded at the young crowd, and a young crowd that want's nothing to do with them..

The original xB, xA, and tC were cheap, well made, and funky.. Nothing else was like them on the road.. Look how well the knock off SOUL has sold.. If Toyota would have just released a new xB, based on the bB with a turbo 4, and some new tech, it would have sold like hot-cakes.. The xA could have been given the same drive train, and been based on the Yaris, with more JDM looking body modifications.. It too would have sold.. The tC, while i think the new one is nice looking.. the interior looks very cheap, and it is no longer a cheap car..

Personally,
If i had to choose between an iA and a Dodge Dart, i would take the Dart..
It's bigger, has more tech, is faster, comes with a better warranty, has a better safety test score, which means insurance will be less, and they will deal on the cars.. Not to mention to me anyway, it's better looking (IMO)..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-16-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2015, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
That is the point, fish on!
I would have bought a camry, if they offered the V6 and a stick shift.. and a dashboard that didn't start it's life in an 80's buick..
Old 10-09-2015, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota has flopped so bad. Not sure where their focus is. I get who they want to market to but atleast follow what the demographic is in to. Even a 17 yr old wants a luxury car now not a small compact. I feel like theyre still trying to market to what was the "tuner".

It would be nice to have a Supra the average Joe can afford. A turbo xB2/tC2 would have been nice. Hell even use the same engine from the tC2 in the xB2, 6spd and all.