Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Should I Fight This Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I Fight This Ticket?

I've never went to court before, so I don't know how the process works. But this ticket just ____ed me off...

So I have an '07 TC with the broken hatch handle. I haven't gotten it fixed yet, so in the meantime I keep it held up with tape (I know--stupid).

Last night it was raining, and the tape stopped sticking while I was driving. Immediately after I got onto the highway, I was pulled over. I hadn't done anything illegal nor was I speeding; the cop was just searching for some reason to pull me over/ticket me and noticed my car "falling apart." He ticketed me for obstructing the license plate. I understand it's slightly obstructed, but what about people who have bike racks mounted on the back of the car? That obstructs the license plate far more. Besides, it's obvious it wasn't intentional.
Attached Thumbnails Should I Fight This Ticket?-img_0518.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yep fight it. if anything it should be a warning but def not a ticket.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member

kinda seems a little overboard giving you a ticket.... you weren't getting snotty with the officer were you?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I Fight This Ticket?

If it was obstructing it was obstructing..., this is about you, not someone with bike racks.
I would honestly write it, if you took it to court good for you. Shouldn't have anything obstructing your plate.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 09-13-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

this should get tossed out rather easily. take pictures, lots and lots of pictures. take em with you.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
If it was obstructing it was obstructing..., this is about you, not someone with bike racks.
I would honestly write it, if you took it to court good for you. Shouldn't have anything obstructing your plate.
Did you look a the picture? And you consider that "obstructing?" The only thing you can't make out is whether the second letter is a "B" or an "R." And from the back, left side (which is where the cop was when he first saw me--in the passing lane), it is completely visible. Besides, it wasn't even intentional. As you may be able to make out, there is tape that didn't stick because it was raining that night.

As for me being "snotty," I told the officer "no" when he asked me to roll my window down all the way. It was raining, and I didn't want rain in my car. It was opened plenty (about 1/2 down), and I like to exercise my own rights when I can. Beyond that, I was polite and complied. Regardless, I think they were intent on ticketing me before they even talked to me. I wasn't speeding, driving aggressively, swerving; nothing. I hadn't even reached full speed on the highway when they turned on the lights.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

I deff say fight it! Just like the above comments, if anything maybe a warning but a ticket is a little overboard. It was a complete accident that you were not even aware of, its not like you put tape across your whole plate to hide something! Fight it and let us know how it goes or what you decide to do Good luck
Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just looked at picture, it's definitely probable cause to pull someone over. Missing/improper display is reason enough to pull you, then I would dig further to see if any things wrong with person or vehicle. If you only rolled window down a little I would get a bit angry albeit, how dark is your tint? Because if you have super black tint it's an officer safety issue if he can't see you and if your being snotty. Yeah. The pic looks like it would be thrown out, HOWEVER... You did did, indeed obstruct clear visible view of your plate in one shape or another, I follow the law and not my interpretation of it. The courts in alaska don't play either, if I wrote you that same ticket, they would simply say. "Was there tape on the license plate"? If you said yes, you would receive the ticket and court fees.

I use this type deal all day long to pull people over, but I don't cite them for it: mainly a reason for a stop to investigate further on other items.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just looked at picture, it's definitely probable cause to pull someone over. Missing/improper display is reason enough to pull you, then I would dig further to see if any things wrong with person or vehicle. If you only rolled window down a little I would get a bit angry albeit, how dark is your tint? Because if you have super black tint it's an officer safety issue if he can't see you and if your being snotty. Yeah. The pic looks like it would be thrown out, HOWEVER... You did did, indeed obstruct clear visible view of your plate in one shape or another, I follow the law and not my interpretation of it. The courts in alaska don't play either, if I wrote you that same ticket, they would simply say. "Was there tape on the license plate"? If you said yes, you would receive the ticket and court fees.

I use this type deal all day long to pull people over, but I don't cite them for it: mainly a reason for a stop to investigate further on other items.

I think you're seeing the picture wrong. There isn't any tape on the license plate. The tape you see is attached to the broken hatch handle, which is only hanging on by the cable. The tape failed because of the rain, thus it fell down while I was driving and without my knowledge. There is no tape whatsoever on the license plate. I will be taking more pictures in daylight, so I could post them here as well.

I rolled down my window plenty, as I said. He could see my entire face, and I kept my hands sitting on the steering wheel. My window tint is legal, as far as I know (the car was bought used from a dealership).
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on tapatalk:iphone so my text blows. But I understand a little better now. If it wasn't on your plate then he shouldn't of been such a jerk. Probably new guy or just someone who's a dick. Fight it, worst case is you lose, but probably would get tossed.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member

I have gotten 7 different tickets. Only 1 got marked on my record.

Simply change your court date delay delay delay or even just go to it and hope the cop does not come. A lot of the time it gets tossed out automatically just due to officer being busy or too lazy to make it to the court house.

The one thing I hate is cops who ticket people for non violent stuff to produce revenue, there was no reason not too give you just a warning. There are people driving drunk out there while he tickets you a law abiding tax paying citizen for some BS, it is wrong. It can not hurt to at the very least to change your court date.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would fight it, Also just to let you know I got a letter from toyota that the rear garnish has a 7 year warranty now so check with your dealer and it may get repaired for free.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member

With the way the economy is lately, and the lack of funds trickling down to local govt entities, some police forces have decided to do ticket campaigns, attempting to make up for lost revenue.

He has a point about obstructing your license plate. Your argument about bikeracks, although correct, is silly. I wouldn't bring that up in court, if I were you. It would make you look petty.

I don't know where you live, but where I am, (CA), local officers and CHP personnel get paid 4 yours of overtime to appear in court.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by learnem
With the way the economy is lately, and the lack of funds trickling down to local govt entities, some police forces have decided to do ticket campaigns, attempting to make up for lost revenue.

He has a point about obstructing your license plate. Your argument about bikeracks, although correct, is silly. I wouldn't bring that up in court, if I were you. It would make you look petty.

I don't know where you live, but where I am, (CA), local officers and CHP personnel get paid 4 yours of overtime to appear in court.

Good luck
4 hours must be nice, we only get 2 hours here. Takes 15 minutes for court though.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

4 hours must be nice, we only get 2 hours here. Takes 15 minutes for court though.

Here in CA, all the Non English speaking people that show up for court get to go first . Some days, that takes a couple of hours.

Because the # of locations to report for court for traffic fines has been drastically reduced here, court could take up to 6+ hours, depending on how many Non English people appear that day.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member

Unhappy Obstructed Plate for hatch failure.

I just had the exact same thing happen. I've been seating the hatch handle plate back into place ever since it broke in the winter. Until now it was only falling out when I open and shut the trunk but this time it fell out while driving. Got pulled over and ticketed for obstructed plate, the officer would not allow me to exit the car to fix it until after he wrote the ticket and drove away. I put tape on it now and I am going to fight the ticket. It cost me $80.00 + tax for the replacement the last time and it did not last very long. This last time it broke was when the gaskets on the hatch freeze in the winter, it takes a little more force to open the hatch. I am just wondering if Scion has any intentions of creating a permanent fix? I am probably going to the hardware store on my way home from work today to make a new hatch handle/badge holder out of wood. You would think the part of the car that holds their emblem(never mind opens the trunk) would be made out of gold plated stainless steel.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member

That's a BS ticket.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member

Default The car o pr-actor recommends lumber support.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member

Attitude is everything with tickets.