Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Where did Scion go wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Where did Scion go wrong?

Just wondering how or what exactly went wrong to cause Scion to lose it's youth oriented market?
Did Toyota turn it's back on the youth market?
It seems this way to me.

I'm very sad to see Scion pass away!
Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO when they came up with 2nd gen design. Yeah, it had a bigger motor, but the look just ruined it for me. It was so plain. I miss my 1st gen RS4 xB.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

While these cars may have appealed to the Japanese youth market, that never happened here. The xB is a good example, appealing more to 50+ market. The FR-S is another, appealing to mostly male 50+, yet they were trying to sell it to female under-30's, with little success. At least now that Toyota is selling it, they are aiming at the correct demographic.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonathan
IMO when they came up with 2nd gen design. Yeah, it had a bigger motor, but the look just ruined it for me. It was so plain. I miss my 1st gen RS4 xB.
You nailed it completely.

The xA was kinda something that wasn't stellar, but they should of kept making it, it was a great hypermiler vehicle, really affordable, and a great entry car.

The first gen xB was a hit. 2nd gen was awful.

The first tC was fresh, but they really should of made one of the RS series, the actual "real" tC for the last 2-3 years (ie: ALL of them should of came with all the color options, and maybe a 10hp bump in the refresh). The tC2 never did it for me, it's really "odd" looking for a 2dr coupe for me. It's proportions are a little off.

The xD wasn't my cup of tea.

The FR-S was/is a great car. Just a little pricey, for low HP.

I think the TRD S/C led to the demise of any enjoyment I had in Scion. It blew my motor at 14k miles. Then blew another motor. Scion flew lead techs in to check my car out. My car went through 3 cat converters. So many other little things. There was a reason TRD discontinued that S/C so freaking quick. And really, the car COULD handle boost. Look at the turbo kits.

A "warrantied" aftermarket OEM (TRD) upgrade like the S/C, destroying tons of peoples motors, and eating itself (**** bearings, non oiled shaft) was a real flustercluck. I would of been **** out of luck if I was not in warranty range, so I can only imagine others being left out in the cold, or thinking they screwed up the installs (they could of, but it was a legit defective issue(s)).