Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   Changing belts easy? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/changing-belts-easy-166087/)

dgenem 07-05-2009 02:56 PM

Changing belts easy?

I've seen the procedure for changing the belts on the 06 XB. It seems simple, and I have two Gator belts ready to go in. Stealership wants $165 for the job.

I need an opinion on how difficult this is from somebody who has done this. Do I remove the bottom cover and go underneath to remove the power steering belt? Top one looks easy, but I am worried about the bottom one. I couldn't locate the information on what I needed to remove to access the bottom one from the online book. It says "REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER RH - SEE 19-3" But I cannot find 19-3 it is referring to.

Any advice or warnings would be appreciated. I've done endless searches but have not read anything that relates their experience doing this.

Thank you in advance.

xBHAWK 07-06-2009 02:48 AM

It's easy...

I did this myself several times, they needed to come off when I installed the Perrin lightweight pully. Top belt is very easy. First search the maintenance section for 'belt replacement' and see the diagram. Mark, with a flair pen the position of the alternator tightening arm so you can see if you get it tightened to the same spot at end of process. Loosen the hinge or lower bolt first and then loosten the top bolt. Slide the alternator in and belt slides right off. If you can not loosten the lower hinge bolt, that is O.K., the alternator will still slide, it just takes more pressure.
Lower belt is loostened by the bolt found in between the spokes of the power steering pully. Turn pully until you can see and reach bolt and loosten. Again if you can not reach, or can not loosten the hinge bolt, it is O.K., and understandable...I couldn't get it either. Do inside belt first, use a pry bar to get the tention on the belt and tighten. A second STRONG person will help under there. Once power steering (inner) belt is tight, ( real tight, too tight to twist belt) then do the outer belt.
Use that prybar on the alternator to line up the line you drew with your flair and tighten. I could not get it tight enough the last time I did this so a shop tightened it up for me for $45. Not too bad for the pro's to do the part I couldn't do.

RedneckwithanxB 07-06-2009 07:39 PM

+1 to above post...

but to be clear, its about as easy as a fwd car with a small engine bay can be

Sciond 07-08-2009 04:54 AM

I might need to do mine soon....I gotta find some local help

hyperwhitetc 07-08-2009 05:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a close enough diagram i could find. changed my gf serpentine belt in 15 min tops. pic from a 5th gen camry. engine setup should be somewhat the same.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=210042
Attachment 118806

cherry-8 07-08-2009 05:16 PM

It's not at all like the Camry for the Gen 1.

There are two belts and no tensioner. The bolts, particularly the lower Alternator bolt and the vane pump (power steering) bolts are hard to get out because space is tight. I've rolled the vane pump belt on in the past without too much trouble, and it has yet to complain. As mentioned earlier, loosening the top bolt for the alternator is sufficient to get the part to move. Watch out for the oil control valve when you use a bar or lever to tighten the alternator/ac compressor belt. The manual suggests doing so from the fender side.

Cheers,

MD

dgenem 07-08-2009 07:06 PM

I was going to say, I wished there was a simple tensioner to remove the belts, would only take a few minutes. I have read the book, and the tops one I am confident I can do in minutes (I have changed belts on cars without tensioners before).

Do we go from underneath for the lower belt to loosen the power steering pump? Everything I've seen suggests we do.

I've been waiting for my schedule and the weather to cooperate so I can do this job.

xBHAWK 07-09-2009 01:43 AM

Sure you read the right page? See diagram at link below...

Disregaurd that CAMRY photo. XB motor is not even close to that.
Yes, you go from undernith to reach power steering belt. Remove splash gaurd to reach it.
Hit the link below to see the SCION XB Gen1 Drive Belt page from the TECH section's repair manual. (I can not copy the page.)
Print it out and save it so you don't need to ask next time.

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/manua.../xb04_0978.gif

This information should answer any questions....

kewlbox 07-09-2009 03:13 AM

The first time i changed mine i was surprised that it was not as easy to change as my hondas that i used to have. But is is still not that difficult to do it yourself.

WhoKilledTheJAMs 07-19-2009 12:46 PM

I changed my alternator belt not that long ago, and the worst part was un-seizing the lower alternator bolt. Once I got that done, it was a ten minute job. I found it helps to have a second set of hands (it's a quicker job if someone is routing the belt underneath the car), but it's not entirely necessary.

CMJAnew 06-20-2010 10:23 AM

Do any of you have the link to the ROUTING DIAGRAM? My belt is off (laying on the road actually). A quick perusal under the hood did not lead me to the diagram.
I'm just hoping the 6 mile drive didn't overheat the engine.

cingham 06-20-2010 08:41 PM

what about the water pump?

CMJAnew 06-21-2010 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by CMJAnew (Post 3603442)
Do any of you have the link to the ROUTING DIAGRAM? My belt is off (laying on the road actually). A quick perusal under the hood did not lead me to the diagram.
I'm just hoping the 6 mile drive didn't overheat the engine.

FOUND IT!

dgenem 09-19-2010 11:38 PM

OMG, that ONE BOLT was a major PAIN. I just now finished the job. I kept putting it off, getting different tools to reach that bolt. Then I just settled on a ratchet with a 14mm that was just the right heigth to squeeze in there. You move the bolt a tiny notch, then spend next 1-3 minutes trying to get the ratchet back on there. It killed an adapter and ratchet in the process.

The top bolt is not in the same position anymore, but the guy at O'reilly's told me that one of the belts was slightly different size, but was within range. So I assume that's why the alternator is not oriented exactly the same as it was with the factory belt. Tension is good, and there is no slippage, for now at least.:nails:Hopefully it is set right and will last another 80k miles.

BTW, took me two darn hours to do this from putting it on the ramps to closing the hood, once I finally had the time and tools to do it. Most of it was because of that cursed 14mm bolt on the underside of the alternator. Maybe that bolt was cursed or something.

Originally Posted by WhoKilledTheJAMs (Post 3223008)
I changed my alternator belt not that long ago, and the worst part was un-seizing the lower alternator bolt. Once I got that done, it was a ten minute job. I found it helps to have a second set of hands (it's a quicker job if someone is routing the belt underneath the car), but it's not entirely necessary.