Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   lowering springs (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/lowering-springs-208069/)

ilovemysci 09-29-2011 08:41 PM

lowering springs

So i really want to lower my xd but i want to get some good springs and im not sure what kind to get. I like the drop from the trd springs but i hear it's a rough ride and i don't want that. I want some good springs that don't lower my ride to much because it's my daily driver and i don't want my tires to be rubbing. So if someone can give me some advice on some springs i would appreciate it! :icon_biggrin:

user 7208230 09-29-2011 09:30 PM

I don't know what people are talking about the TRD's being "rough." I had them for a while with the TRD struts and didn't think it was rough at all. Granted that was a tC but I guess it would be more noticeable on a tC than an xD

Domino 09-29-2011 11:48 PM

mine has the trd springs and 18" trd wheels....and yes, it's a rough ride.

ThisorThatxD 09-30-2011 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by ilovemysci (Post 3917434)
So i really want to lower my xd but i want to get some good springs and im not sure what kind to get. I like the drop from the trd springs but i hear it's a rough ride and i don't want that. I want some good springs that don't lower my ride to much because it's my daily driver and i don't want my tires to be rubbing. So if someone can give me some advice on some springs i would appreciate it! :icon_biggrin:

i daily my xD, and im on tein s-techs. lowest you can go with springs, and i still have tons of clearance. rub would depend on your wheel/tire combo. its the exact opposite of rough, but it does get bouncy at times lol.

mcbrew 09-30-2011 02:22 PM

It's all perspective...

Previous to the xD, I had a VW Golf. The ride quality was a great mix of sporty and comfortable. The xD, in my opinion, didn't do either of those well. I bought the car with the TRD struts and springs. Too rough for me. I commute about 70 miles a day, and it was harsh... even on the realatively smooth roads around here. I would hate to have driven it in Detroit or between LA and Vegas. I dumped the TRD setup for the stock struts and springs, and was happier... but it wasn't particularly smooth or sporty... somewhere in the middle, but not in a good place like the Golf.

Now I drive a Subaru Outback, which has about a mile of wheel travel, and fender gap that would give some of you guys a heart attack! However, Subaru seems to be better at stock suspensions than Scion/Toyota. More like the Golf, it is relatively nimble, and also smooth on the highway. It takes speed bumps like a champ! It ain't no Cadillac, but I'm not into the "floaty" ride.

Again, just my opinion. Some on here will say that their car is 1/2" off the ground and has 1/4" of wheel travel and rides smooth.

MonkeyMonsoon 09-30-2011 02:38 PM

I'm currently running sportlines on my xD and another of my cars...no complaints at all. I've taken the xD on three long road trips since its been lowered and daily drive it and it rides fine. A little stiffer than stock of course but nothing to gripe about.

ilovemysci 09-30-2011 08:24 PM

I was looking at the NF210s and those seem like a decent drop. Does anyone know if its a decent ride and if there good for the xd?

Domino 09-30-2011 09:31 PM

they give the xD a good look, but i don't know about the comfort of the ride.

CXTKRS1 10-02-2011 03:33 AM

One reason the TRD's are rough is that they are actually made for the car and are performance springs. A lot of people are running springs made for the Yaris which is several hundred pounds lighter.

Domino 10-05-2011 01:04 AM

i know the trd's are performance springs...but with the roads i drive on...it's a very rough ride.