Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   Mileage range when gas light blinks (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/mileage-range-when-gas-light-blinks-206176/)

htheduck 08-08-2011 03:58 AM

Mileage range when gas light blinks

Folks,

Just wondering how many mile you push the car after the gas light starts to blink?

ALSO: I flip the mode display to range/remaining miles (once the gas light blinks) and have been able to drive a few miles at 0. I think that range number is a calculation based on average MPG. Notes: refill of last recent tank was approximately 10.39 gallons/miles driven was approximately 291.

Curious as to others' experiences.

draxcaliber 08-08-2011 04:06 AM

in the tC, when i fill up, it is usually takes 11.5 gallons to fill up, and it has a 14.5 gallon tank. my BMW does it based on a combination of how much gas is left, and what your avg MPG has been for the last 18 miles.

Nateson 08-08-2011 04:06 AM

Depends on how hard you drive it. I think when the miles per tank reaches 0 you should have about a gallon of gas left. I've been getting 33-35mpg around town (suburban driving). So I only push it to around 20 miles after the miles per tank zeros out.

htheduck 08-08-2011 04:46 AM

thanks for the posts. just looked up the xD capacity: 11.1 gallon tank...i can do some quick calculations.

drax, i will keep that in mind for my bimmer...

nate, that's good to know even though the miles zero out...

mikem53 08-08-2011 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by htheduck (Post 3890085)
thanks for the posts. just looked up the xD capacity: 11.1 gallon tank...i can do some quick calculations.

Not a good idea to run the tank so low.. The fuel pump is submerged in the tank. It is cooled and lubricated by the fuel in the tank. You run the risk of burning out the pump and also sucking up any loose debris in the tank..
Best not to go to far past a 1/4 tank.

midnight_king 08-08-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikem53 (Post 3890201)
Not a good idea to run the tank so low.. The fuel pump is submerged in the tank. It is cooled and lubricated by the fuel in the tank. You run the risk of burning out the pump and also sucking up any loose debris in the tank..
Best not to go to far past a 1/4 tank.

not only that, but when you take it down that low, you also run the risk of sucking air if you hit a slope or a steep hill. just another heads up.

htheduck 08-08-2011 03:37 PM

^ copy that. good info. Thank you.

draxcaliber 08-09-2011 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by htheduck (Post 3890085)

yeah, i normally drive just two and from work, so my average mpg is like 20, but on my trip to king's dominion, when i started out, it goes 110 miles to destination, 150 miles to empty, but once i was on the interstate and just cruising, i got there and still had like 100 miles to empty.

Bobielon 08-12-2011 04:55 AM

I have driven over 30 miles on "0 miles left" Not on purpose. In MT rural gas stations are few and far between. I was pumped when I finally saw a station, and even more excited when it had a CC machine. (Sunday night in nowheresville MT)