Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/)
-   -   Brakes too tight after new brake pads! (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-suspension-handling-1615/brakes-too-tight-after-new-brake-pads-153376/)

ricexizxgood 12-30-2008 01:38 AM

Brakes too tight after new brake pads!

Hi,
I just got some Hawk HPS brake pads for my Wilwood calipers. I tried to install them right away, but only managed to install one new pad on each side. Both pads wouldn't fit cause they were too thick, so I'm waiting for them to wear down more to install the last two.
But anyways my brakes are really tight on the rotors right now even when I'm not on the brake pedal (The car wouldn't move unless accelerate on the gas pedal). Is there anything I can do to fix that?

EAmon 12-30-2008 01:44 AM

umm u r supposed to
how do i say this
"push" out the
ummm
piston?
idk
but u push it out untill u can fit both pads in
i had teh same problem when i changed my pads

ricexizxgood 12-30-2008 02:24 AM

Yep tried that. The pistons won't compress any farther =/

datdude1119 12-30-2008 02:27 AM

did u take the cap off the brake fuild reservoir when trying to push in the pistons

ricexizxgood 12-30-2008 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by datdude1119
did u take the cap off the brake fuild reservoir when trying to push in the pistons

Yep.

EAmon 12-30-2008 02:37 AM

u sure u got teh right pads?

kuhchow 12-30-2008 02:44 AM

did you try pushing the piston back with pliers?? if so, go to autozone and rent their piston caliper tool, it works ten times better than pliers

silverstreaktc 12-30-2008 02:47 AM

wait so you can use stock brake pads with big brake pads?

O5_TRD_tC 12-30-2008 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by silverstreaktc
wait so you can use stock brake pads with big brake pads?

wth... did u even read?

digndoug 12-30-2008 01:28 PM

Try getting a C-clamp. That's What I have always used when doing brakes.

limptc 12-30-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by digndoug

+1

ricexizxgood 12-31-2008 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by digndoug

Yep, i even tried using c-clamps at the same time.
But either way is there anyway to adjust the brake pressure cause they get pretty hot when i drive now.

sonofabeoitch 12-31-2008 04:35 AM

open the brake reservoir cap, use the old brake pads to put on pistons and use c-clamp to compress them in. it usually take a while, but it works. there's also another thing also, idk if the wilwoods are designed this way. if you look at the pistons, is there an "X" or + cut across them? if yes ur gonna need that piston tool to turn those pistons back in.

Go4shoped 12-31-2008 05:30 AM

if you compressed the pistons correctly and both pads do not fit with room to spare then YOU HAVE THE WRONG PADS. "If it doesn't fit, don't force it."

kevywevy 01-03-2009 03:20 AM

YOU HAVE THE WRONG PADS. "If it doesn't fit, don't force it."

+1on that.I garuntee you have the wrong pads. thats the fastest way to kill your rotors and the rest of your brake system not to mention that is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS/STUPID TO DRIVE ON

ricexizxgood 01-03-2009 08:24 AM

Just got replies from both Hawk and Wilwood. Both confirmed that the pads are direct replacements. And I was told that the thickness issue is common. However the tightness issue along with the heat issue is going away.

kevywevy 01-03-2009 09:49 PM

take the pads back out and use some sandpaper and send them down till they arent soo snug and will fit in right. that or go to a wide open parking light and get goin about 15 mph or so and slam on the brakes a few times to seat them and c if that makes it any better

silverstreaktc 01-04-2009 03:40 AM

05trdtc he said he's using the pads with his WILWOOD calipers....i'm asking if you can use stock pads (meaning the HAWK HPS) with big brake calipers....

gqdabien 03-16-2010 06:53 AM

Sorry, but I am reviving this thread from over a year ago! I was installing wilwood replacement pads today on my front BBK. The outter pads fit tight but went in OK, the inner pads however are definetly too thick for the space i'm given. I had the pistons fully compressed and its still too thick by a 1-2mm (i'm guessing). Is there a solution to this problem?

I am currently driving around with just the outter front pads replaced. Inner front pads are in dire need of replacement soon :(