Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion iQ Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-drivetrain-power-1834/)
-   -   Changing the oil in your iQ...sort of... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-drivetrain-power-1834/changing-oil-your-iq-sort-214049/)

surfcitylocal 04-27-2012 03:03 PM

Changing the oil in your iQ...sort of...

27 Attachment(s)
A little DIY on changing the oil in your iQ. Let me point out at the start that I DID NOT read the directions and did the job old school. This is NOT the correct way to do it. I have not seen a canister type oil filter like the one on the iQ. If I had read the directions it would have been much easier and much less of a mess. That being said here is what to do (with corrections added as we go).

First off, be safe. Whether you use a floor jack or car ramps, set your parking brake. I use car ramps.

Attachment 40653

Here is what you'll need...

Four quarts of 0w-20w synthetic oil (that weight is always synthetic)
One oil filter (I use the Toyota brand)
14mm wrench
1/4" drive rachet
64mm oil filter removal tool
Drain pan
Rags or towels
Funnel

Attachment 40654

Attachment 40655

Attachment 40656

Attachment 40657

Here are the directions on the oil filter replacement (READ THEM AND SAVE YOURSELF A BIG MESS)

Attachment 40658

The oil drain plug and oil filter canister located under the motor on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Attachment 40659

Attachment 40660

Use the 14mm wrench to loosen the oil drain plug.

Attachment 40661

Allow the oil to drain from the iQ into a pan.

Attachment 40662

Clean the oil drain plug and threads.

Attachment 40663

Once the oil has stopped dripping you can remove the oil filter canister.

THIS IS WHERE IT WOULD BE EASIER TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. There is a small indentation on the end of the oil filter canister that allows you to connect a 1/4" ratchet and remove the small cap. Once this small cap is removed you place the plastic spout, with some force, into the opening and a valve inside opens to allow the oil from the canister to drain out cleanly into the pan. Once the oil has drained from the spout it is removed and you can move on to the next step, removing the oil filter canister.

Connect the 1/4" ratchet to the oil filter canister removal tool and place on the end of the canister.

Attachment 40664

Loosen the canister until you can remove it by hand. If done correctly (using the spout mentioned earlier) the job will not be this messy.

Attachment 40665

Now that you have the canister out, pour out the remaining oil and clean the housing.

Attachment 40666

Your parts from the Toyota oil filter. (notice the white plastic spout that would have made this job so much easier)

Attachment 40667

Remove the used oil filter element.

Attachment 40668

Compared to the new one.

Attachment 40669

There are two O-rings that need to be replaced. Do not reuse the old ones. This view is the small O-ring under the cap that is on the bottom of the canister. (the one that should have been removed while the canister was still on the vehicle)

Attachment 40670

Replace it with the new O-ring and apply motor oil to it to prevent leaks and sticking.

Replace the large O-ring with the new one and apply motor oil to it as well.

Attachment 40671

Now install the new oil filter element.

Attachment 40672

Reassemble the oil filter canister, the cap on the bottom and place it back on the vehicle in reverse order from removal.

Re-install the oil drain plug using the 14mm wrench.

Add 3.7 quarts of motor oil using a funnel. The oil intake is located on the passenger side of the motor.

Attachment 40673

Attachment 40674

The oil capacity information can be found in your iQ owners manual.

Attachment 40675

Attachment 40676

Once the oil has been added, check the dipstick (dip cable in the case of the iQ) and make sure your level is at the full mark.

The dipstick is located mid engine.

Attachment 40677

Attachment 40678

Replace the oil filler cap and start the iQ. Check for oil leaks under the vehicle.

As always dispose of your used oil in an appropriate container and disposal site. I'm lucky in Huntington Beach, they come to the door and pick it up.

Attachment 40679

The owners manual suggests changing the oil at 10,000 mile intervals but I'm a little old school. 5,000 miles is max for me.

I'll post up pictures of the correct way to do it at the next oil change.

r2d2michael 04-27-2012 11:05 PM

nice write up. its odd to me how the oil filter works. im used to changing the whole thing not just the paper part

Jesboyhere 05-03-2012 07:12 AM

nice write up taz ive seen those types of filters when i worked at the gm dealer they use them on the chevy eco tech engines and on some saturns but they were up in the engine bay area

surfcitylocal 05-03-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jesboyhere (Post 4009993)
nice write up taz ive seen those types of filters when i worked at the gm dealer they use them on the chevy eco tech engines and on some saturns but they were up in the engine bay area

I saw some of those type on line, seems so strange to have them mounted like they are.

jadeT 05-05-2012 03:38 AM

Is that a new standard for the oil filter?

GDog 09-16-2012 10:34 PM

surfcitylocal, if you do your own oil changes, do you get the oil filter at no charge during the "complimentary" oil change period?

surfcitylocal 09-17-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by GDog (Post 4055579)
surfcitylocal, if you do your own oil changes, do you get the oil filter at no charge during the "complimentary" oil change period?

No, I had to pay for it.

GDog 09-18-2012 10:46 PM

Thanks "surf". I picked up the filter today at Toyota. It was $10+ till I told him Pep Boys sold Fram filters for $7+ (albeit the Fram comes only with the large o-ring and not with that small plastic spout). Toyota parts then sold it to me for $7+. Thanks to your write-up things when smoothly.

pww_iq 05-12-2013 04:59 AM

Total 'newb' question here... on the iQ, if you do the oil change yourself, that doesn't void some sort of Scion/Toyota warranty? (I'm leasing my new iQ so I'm wondering if that's a different story?)

surfcitylocal 05-13-2013 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by pww_iq (Post 4108614)
Total 'newb' question here... on the iQ, if you do the oil change yourself, that doesn't void some sort of Scion/Toyota warranty? (I'm leasing my new iQ so I'm wondering if that's a different story?)

It does not void your warranty. Not changing your oil to the factory required time or mileage intervals will void your warranty.