Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Thermometer/outside temperature gauge not accurate (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/thermometer-outside-temperature-gauge-not-accurate-125044/)

flyer172 01-15-2008 08:05 PM

Thermometer/outside temperature gauge not accurate

I just picked up my car 5 days ago and the first thing I noticed that did not work as should is the outside temperature gauge. I'ts 4 to 5 degree's off and while most people probably could'nt give a crap it annoys the hell out of me. Does anyone know if it can be adjusted? Also my widshield broke within 24hrs of owning the car. Maybe I should have kept the xA.

mcheng08 01-15-2008 08:09 PM

it should change when you drive around for awhile

PakanaHerruus 01-15-2008 08:10 PM

maybe the temp changes depending on what speeds your going..

flyer172 01-15-2008 08:17 PM

No, it's off trust me.

PakanaHerruus 01-15-2008 08:27 PM

k.. my car is a 1st gen.. didnt come with that.. but im also in california.. i can look outside and know how the weather is going to feel..

lvbitwiz 01-15-2008 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by flyer172
No, it's off trust me.

As the probe itself isn't really exposed to "outside" it is reading correctly. open your drivers door. About mid way up in front under the weather stripping it the probe, it sits under the stripping against the body. It's nothing special, just a thermocouple. You can't adjust it.

flyer172 01-15-2008 08:54 PM

When the car sits over night it is about 5 deg off just as it is while I am driving it, I would say it is not reading correctly but thanks for the heads up on the location of the sensor.

AAG 01-15-2008 09:09 PM

Not trying to bash you or anything but how do you know its off by that much? Do you have a thermometer with you and testing it?

Sucks your windshield broke......I had had mine hit by a rock 3 miles after driving off the lot. Oh btw Xb2 > Xa by a loooong shot

lvbitwiz 01-15-2008 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by AAG
Oh btw Xb2 > Xa by a loooong shot

X2

dgenem 01-16-2008 11:28 PM

If it is anything like my Corolla, it is not the sensor, but the location and differences in temp. My Corolla has the same thing, but the thermal variations are too great to really say what is accurate. It is a black car, so a few minutes in the sun and it will read over 100. On average, my Corolla tends to disagree about 5 degrees depending on the location of other thermometers. Five degrees is pretty small variation, I really wouldn't worry about it. Try a thermometer in the same location as the sensor and see what it reads.

BTW, if that five degrees and little things really do cause stress, look into OCD and hypertension. Catch it early before it ruins and controls your life. I had to make some slow changes in my life to get reduce it. There is a lot of anger and stress in your posts, lol.