Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   2005 Scion xB with a really bad belt squeal. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/2005-scion-xb-really-bad-belt-squeal-188255/)

equalizir 06-10-2010 12:01 AM

2005 Scion xB with a really bad belt squeal.

Hi guys, i recently put a new water pump in my xB cuz the old one was leaking fluid. i also changed my belts. i kept getting a belt squeal when i use my a/c. it only did it when i used my a/c. i tried adjusting it to no avail. so i thought maybe i had a bad alternator belt. i replaced it today. now im getting the squeal with or without the ac being off. i dont know what im doing wrong. one of my buddies said maybe the ac compressor bearing was going out. if anyone has any advice id greatly appreciate it. i really dont want to take it to a shop. but cuz i live in Vegas i need my ac. thanks in advanced.

jnaval 06-10-2010 01:12 AM

FWIK, it could be misaligned pulleys, bad tensioner, or pulley bearings. Try belt dressing just to see what happens.

RedneckwithanxB 06-10-2010 02:52 AM

Make sure the belt is tight...

jamesfg49 06-10-2010 04:10 AM

You did loosen ALL the bolts for the compressor right? Cos your description doesn't sound like you did.

equalizir 06-10-2010 09:11 AM

hi guys, thanks for advice. To james no i havent even touched the compressor let alone the bolts for it. im starting to think im not tightening belt enough. i let the car idle for a few minutes and looked at the belt. the power steering belt is moving but looks tight but when i look at the alternator belt it looks like its flapping around. i thought maybe my eyes were playing a trick on me cuz its spinning pretty fast. im gonna try and tighten it more and see if that does anything. when i adjust belt im doing it from the alternator and i only pull the alternator back by hand and then tighten bolts. ive read in a couple forums to use a screwdriver to pull alternator back so it seems most likely im not putting enough tension on belt. ive also read though that if u tighten it too much itll mess up the waterpump and i dont want to do that since i just replaced it. i wont use belt dressing cuz its a new belt and is not a long term solution.

WhoKilledTheJAMs 06-10-2010 10:59 AM

In my experience, it was really hard to get the serpentine belt tight enough without an extra set of hands (one to pry the alternator into place, another to actually tighten it).

MadMike550 06-10-2010 02:16 PM

I think the belt dressing was suggested to help you narrow down your search for the noise

sounds like you just need to tighten your belt though

equalizir 06-10-2010 07:55 PM

update guys, i got home from work this morning nd adjusted the belt. i got it as tight as i could. i took it for a test drive and it didnt squeel at all. my wife took it to work and she text me that it did chirp a little but thats it. i can live with a little chirping since thats what its done the last three years we've owned it. thanks guys for all the help