Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/)
-   -   HELP - Strange Power Loss (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-drivetrain-power-1638/help-strange-power-loss-201471/)

Baine 04-05-2011 12:31 PM

HELP - Strange Power Loss

I have a 2005 xB with a manual transmission. I have been experiencing a strange
power loss that feels like the car is going into limp mode. It happens every time
I take a certain freeway cloverleaf ramp. It’s an up hill right turn at about 40 mph.
The car just looses all power and will barely hold 10 mph and wont go over
3000 rpm. After an hour it will sometimes run normal. I have replaced the fuel pump
and strainer. Checked the fuel tank for foreign matter/debris. I have replaced the MAF
sensor. If I park the car down hill and turned off, it has gone back to normal within
a few minutes on two occasions but not always (coincidence?). There are NO codes
or warning lights of any kind. I have about 110,000 miles on the car and it has always
run strong. My mechanic and I are out of ideas. I have driven it over a hundred miles
testing in every cornering condition I can find after the MAF replacement without
problems and then this morning it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

(and I don’t need the comment of “just don't take that off ramp”, it’s how I get to work)

ajcadoo 04-07-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Baine (Post 3814284)
I have a 2005 xB with a manual transmission. I have been experiencing a strange
power loss that feels like the car is going into limp mode. It happens every time
I take a certain freeway cloverleaf ramp. It’s an up hill right turn at about 40 mph.
The car just looses all power and will barely hold 10 mph and wont go over
3000 rpm. After an hour it will sometimes run normal. I have replaced the fuel pump
and strainer. Checked the fuel tank for foreign matter/debris. I have replaced the MAF
sensor. If I park the car down hill and turned off, it has gone back to normal within
a few minutes on two occasions but not always (coincidence?). There are NO codes
or warning lights of any kind. I have about 110,000 miles on the car and it has always
run strong. My mechanic and I are out of ideas. I have driven it over a hundred miles
testing in every cornering condition I can find after the MAF replacement without
problems and then this morning it died again.

ANY IDEAS?

(and I don’t need the comment of “just don't take that off ramp”, it’s how I get to work)

Yeah, dont take the offramp. Duh...

ajcadoo 04-07-2011 05:53 AM

hahahaha just kidding. It is weird that your are going into limp mode with no CEL lights of any sort. Maybe check for codes anyway? Or also check your intake and make sure it isnt blocked by anything. MAF was the problem when I last went into limp mode. 3000RPM limit is a pain. I had to buy a brand new one.

Keith 09-30-2011 10:23 PM

any other Idea, my 06Xa has the same prob... going on the ramp, all power lossed, its like beening in "N", I step on the gas and the eng just revs up... pull over to the side, trun off the car for few min, start it back up, all isfine... so far.

need Help..
Keith.

05sciko 10-01-2011 08:28 PM

the xa sounds like it may be low on trans fluid. if the engine is racing and the tranny is in gear then something is slipping

Keith 10-01-2011 09:06 PM

Thanks... I'll Look into the MAF and trans.. hopefuly it's one of them.

Keith..

TheUglyOne 10-11-2011 02:58 AM

I had an issue like this on my mustang once and it was my Throttle position sensor. I don't know if our scions have one of these but mine just needed to be cleaned and this problem stopped. Maybe you can check on this?