Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/)
-   -   Replacement Keys at Walmart (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-owners-lounge-1605/replacement-keys-walmart-210799/)

miggity79 01-06-2012 08:50 PM

Replacement Keys at Walmart

Apparently Walmart now programs keys. Cost me $60 to get a replacement key with a transponder. No alarm, but you can probably just take the transponder out and do a DIY switchblade swap.

SquallLHeart 01-06-2012 08:55 PM

afaik.. it's not the key they need to program... it's the car's ECU..

so.. i don't know how that's gonna work..

miggity79 01-06-2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart (Post 3957740)
afaik.. it's not the key they need to program... it's the car's ECU..

so.. i don't know how that's gonna work..

i think that only happens if you lose ALL your keys. i took in my valet key and they copied the transponder code to a new key.

now i can work on losing my 3rd key. :crazy:

thendawg 01-06-2012 10:13 PM

yea supposedly they started rolling this out about a year ago. I dunno if any of the stores around here have it, but I was doing a remote start job for a guy in TX a little while back, and he had walmart "clone" a key for his Tundra for me to use for the remote start key box. Basically the dealership takes a key with a preset "code" on the chip in the key, they than program the car to recognize this new code as valid. Walmart's new machine somewhat reverse engineers the process, it reads the code from an existing, working key, than duplicates that code to another key, so when you use the new key, the car still thinks its the same one its used to. Works great if you just need another key, not so great if youve lost all your keys and dont have one to duplicate :) In that case, youd need the VIN and would have to go with your title to the Toyota dealership and have one cut and programmed to the car.

SquallLHeart 01-07-2012 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by thendawg (Post 3957764)
Walmart's new machine somewhat reverse engineers the process, it reads the code from an existing, working key, than duplicates that code to another key, so when you use the new key, the car still thinks its the same one its used to.

interesting... i can't say i've ever heard of such a process...

.. but that would be the only method where I can see making it possible.

ROCKLANDTOYOTA 01-07-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by thendawg (Post 3957764)
yea supposedly they started rolling this out about a year ago. I dunno if any of the stores around here have it, but I was doing a remote start job for a guy in TX a little while back, and he had walmart "clone" a key for his Tundra for me to use for the remote start key box. Basically the dealership takes a key with a preset "code" on the chip in the key, they than program the car to recognize this new code as valid. Walmart's new machine somewhat reverse engineers the process, it reads the code from an existing, working key, than duplicates that code to another key, so when you use the new key, the car still thinks its the same one its used to. Works great if you just need another key, not so great if youve lost all your keys and dont have one to duplicate :) In that case, youd need the VIN and would have to go with your title to the Toyota dealership and have one cut and programmed to the car.

we've been doing this for a couple of years now with new cars and aftermarket remote starts.....

jono06tc 01-07-2012 06:03 PM

I should look into this, ever since i switched to the switch blade key 've had problems with starting the car. Sometimes it takes my 5 tries until it recognizes the key and decides to start, or at least i think thats the problem

JahJosef 01-09-2012 05:22 AM

So now Walmart is going to put us little guys out of business. We've been doing "i" keys since '07, along with "P" keys and "A" keys. "I" keys are duplicates of the original, GM "P" keys have to be programmed to the vehicle and require nothing else, "A" keys force you to go out into the car to "burn" a code from the car onto the new key, then return to the computer programmer to complete programming obtained from a remote server.

Or this is what I follow form my 3 years of programming/selling chip keys. Not 100% sure. Only have had issues with Nissan/Infiniti for some odd reason, RMA the key and get back to business.

miggity79 01-09-2012 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a pix of the key.

def wont fit the transpoder spot in the stock key. probably wont fit in an aftermarket key either.

keyman 01-20-2013 07:25 AM

I can copy your key onto a transponder chip that's identical in size to the oem chip. Send me a message.

Dam262a 01-20-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by keyman (Post 4083153)
I can copy your key onto a transponder chip that's identical in size to the oem chip. Send me a message.

This thread is over a year old I doubt they need that.

Sent from Tapatalk HD

keyman 01-21-2013 09:24 PM

Just checking. Someone might find it while doing a search.