Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/)
-   -   Best way to clean engine bay? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-owners-lounge-1768/best-way-clean-engine-bay-206223/)

AAG 08-09-2011 04:37 PM

Best way to clean engine bay?

Hey everyone, I want to get my engine bay looking "like new" again but I'm super paranoid about getting water on something that shouldn't get wet :redface:.

Any tips on what I should use, how much, and what I should cover when washing the engine bay? Should the vehicle be on when doing this?

In the past I've used a rag and some all purpose cleaner to clean as much as I can, but it doesn't clean it up like I want it. TIA

MeatRocket 08-09-2011 05:16 PM

i normally spray degreaser on everything and spray it down with the hose. whe they detail cars at the dealer i work at they do the same except the use a pressure washer.

i do it once a month normally and never have issues, just let it air dry.

ScionFred 08-09-2011 05:42 PM

If you have an exposed air filter (CAI, SRI, etc.) it's not a bad idea to tape a bag around it before de-greasing and washing the engine bay. Just remember to remove it afterward!

The engine should be off and preferably cold but many (incl myself) have washed hot engines at the local car wash without problems.

jnaval 08-09-2011 05:53 PM

I'm too chicken to hose the bay down so I opt to use a damp rag and light dressing.

09BCMxB 08-09-2011 08:50 PM

I use the same suds that I use for washing the car. Just before drying the exterior, I hit the engine bay with the sponge and just rinse it off. Like ScionFred said though - avoid the filter if you have a CAI.
fwiw - I use a soap that has a little bit of carnuba in it and everything dries up shiny.

eignub 08-09-2011 09:39 PM

i warm mine up a little, spray everything with simple green, let it soak, wipe off anything that is caked on and isn't going to just wash away, then hose it down. after that i do a quick drive around the neighborhood to dry it off and get out any pooled up water. then come home, spray it with engine detailer, take another spin around to get off the excess, then call it done. i know a lot of people worry about covering up electrical parts and things like that, but i was too lazy for that the first time, and since i didnt have a problem, havent worried about it since.

(btw, simple green imo is the best all purpose cleaner out there! i use it for tons of stuff.)

renegade4x4 08-10-2011 12:27 AM

Haha Fred I taped a bag around the filter in my jeep and forgot about it. When I started my jeep and tried to drive it it had no power. I thought something was wet so I continued. It squeezed my filter and crumpled it. Lol

Originally Posted by ScionFred (Post 3890908)
If you have an exposed air filter (CAI, SRI, etc.) it's not a bad idea to tape a bag around it before de-greasing and washing the engine bay. Just remember to remove it afterward!

The engine should be off and preferably cold but many (incl myself) have washed hot engines at the local car wash without problems.

ScionFred 08-10-2011 01:06 AM

LOL! I bet you never did that again!

BTW, does anyone know a safe way to remove that nasty white corrosion from the bare aluminum parts? I know muriatic acid works but it's not very safe for wiring, paint, plastic, etc.

RichBinAZ 08-11-2011 02:40 AM

Aluminum corrosion - in the old days I used to clean up the engine cases on my BSA with Solvol. That wouldn't last long, it took a lot of effort and in the end I just gave up. Most motorbike engines are painted aluminum, so that may be a fix?? Could be just as hard as anodizing them though

ScionFred 08-11-2011 02:55 AM

I may have to live with it. Removing and stripping the engine block and head to paint them isn't an option for me. What about engine dressings? I've never used any but imagine if it leaves a protective coating it could slow corrosion.

On my 99 Kawasaki the engine covers, etc. were clear coated. That lasted several years but now I have to re-polish at least once a year. I'd love to own a BSA. I'm selling my Kaw and looking for a classic motorcycle instead. I find the new cafe racer resurgence compelling.

eignub 08-11-2011 03:44 AM

this is what i spray on mine. it says it helps protect it, not sure if it does or not. but it makes it look pretty. you can get it almost anywhere that sells automotive stuff.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5

ScionFred 08-11-2011 05:05 AM

^^ Thanks! I'll look for it.

TheotherBMan 08-11-2011 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use WD-40. It cleans and protects and keeps the aluminum nice and shiny.

The under hood of an ex that I kept clean with wd40 (I don't have an under hood of the xB)
Attachment 52703

eignub 08-12-2011 04:02 AM

My only problem with wd40 is that it will actually end up drying stuff out.

ScionFred 08-12-2011 04:24 AM

I find it interesting that when I googled "Solvol" because I'd never of it before, I found that is an Australian soap product made by the same company that makes WD40. I also found British made Solvol metal polish.

This is funny:

http://youtu.be/fIOLQ9e8GVc

So maybe I need Solvol to clean my engine block and Solvol to clean my "busy hands" afterward?

TheotherBMan 08-13-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by eignub (Post 3892430)
My only problem with wd40 is that it will actually end up drying stuff out.

Yeah, I don't use it heavily on rubber hoses, just a spritz on a rag.
I prefer CRC 3-36 but it's not as easy to find.

SamCarroll 08-13-2011 03:13 PM

i use Adams. Actually thats all i use on my vehicle.

eignub 08-14-2011 04:50 AM

never heard of adams before

SamCarroll 08-14-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by eignub (Post 3893383)
never heard of adams before

i have a friend who works for them. AMAZING product. Literally works as it says it does.

id link it but it'd probably be edited.

RedDragons 08-16-2011 07:01 AM

I do a light spray with the hose before I start washing then take a microfiber cloth and scrub down any and all dirt I see (i live in a windy desert so it gets coated fairly fast) and then tackle any grease I see. On my old honda I used to use degreaser every couple of washes to get the oil and grime buildup off.