ID, OR, WA

From AWD to RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default From AWD to RWD

So I converted my tC to AWD, that was fun. But I want to see what its like RWD as well.

I am in the process of buying all of the parts to do a RWD conversion on my tC.

The AWD subframes will still be around just in the garage, and can be reinstalled in the same day, I made them so they just drop out on dollies and can be easily stored and swapped.

When I get the proper RWD transmission I will post more..as of now i have a larger engine, harnesses, ECM, another RWD LSD differential, extra subframes.

Most of the parts I am picking are not bank breakers, so it should be easily duplicated with USDM parts as opposed to my AWD build that used primarily CDM, and JDM components.

So when I start i will post my progress, what parts I use and also what work is needed much like my AWD thread except much more in depth.

Why do this? I enjoy the build as much as the driving and since Scion is dying off I want to give ammo to the loyal owners that stuck around and love their cars to show the car world what we are capable of.

Thanks again.

AV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't wait to see the build thread! Keep it up! I see a RWD tC vs 2JZ-GTE Cressida track day!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
Can't wait to see the build thread! Keep it up! I see a rwd tc vs 2jzgte cressida track day!
Hell yeah man. That would be fun!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd love to move the engine to the rear for a rear drive mid-engine, but I'm stupid that way
Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
I'd love to move the engine to the rear for a rear drive mid-engine, but I'm stupid that way
Nah, that isn't stupid. the only caveat with doing it that route is adding a firewall, and than making the opening (or new engine bay) big enough and stiff enough to accept the motor. Realistically tube framing the rear or at least the opening it and reinforcing
it as you will lose a lot of frame rigidity cutting out the @ss end of the car. and than finding another xB2 front sub-frame and relocating the mounts in the rear and than mounting the extra front sub-frame in the rear would be the fastest and easiest option to
accommodate the motor and trans in the rear.. kind of like an MR2.

Speaking of an MR2 you could use the SW20 trans as well and the shifter cage, etc because the SW20 (MR2) has the shift cables facing forward instead of backwards like on our FWD setups.

You could do a mid engine, but the firewall will be so far forward you will basically have a truck cab.

But not a stupid idea just a lot of dedicated fab work involved.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could build a cover like in the old vans for the motor so you don't need a rear firewall. but man still a lot of work lol.

There are a lot of options a sea of them in fact. things to take into consideration if you have to deal with deq, emissions, ECT.

Using the same engine in a different configuration as long as that configuration utilizes all of the same sensors will usually not trip a CEL. and that is key to passing OBD-II emissions. if your exempt than great. if not than welcome to the club,
my AWD build was done as a major attempt to retain the ability to pass emissions. turns out I have another route I wont talk about here but this has given me the option of doing other motor swaps and still being "legal" lol

Luckily for you and your engine, you actually have a choice of components to adapt the 2AZ-FE to AWD, and RWD. like using a 3SG-TE RWD bellhousing on an R154 or a W58, or other trans. OR AWD so some of the E Series All Wheel Drive transmissions,
or the E Series rear engine RWD transmissions as long as they bolt to either the 2AZ-FE or 3SG-TE trans engine mounting patterns. The best part is our speedometers do not read from the trans. the only electrical connection to the manual trans is literally
the reverse sensor.

So really the options are limitless.
you could theoretically run an Allison tank transmission (it wont fit but for example) and as long as the ECU can read the teeth on the tone rings. Than the speedometer will register the speed from the axles, and not the transmission.

Also all of the transmission slip yokes between all of these are cross compatible. so any of the old Celica RWD driveshafts, any of the AWD Celica driveshafts will have the same yoke diameter and spline count.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

....or a Lotus Evora back half and keep the rear seats.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dreaming or trying to build a car. lol
Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I have left is the dream but, come on, how fun would a Lotus/2Gen xb be? Cayenne, Ha!
Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheotherBMan
All I have left is the dream but, come on, how fun would a Lotus/2Gen xb be? Cayenne, Ha!
Yeah man, if money weren't an issue than instead of the Lotus setup i would do the Koenigsegg Regera R Twin Turbo V8 with the electric assist lol So no worries

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many Evoras are totaled by rear end collision? I don't have the ability anymore. I gave my nephew my project 88 Prelude 4wsi and the f20-b to go in it Spinal cord damage doesn't stop the brain ;)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bummer man, keep positive.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still on track got a transmission and am gathering misc parts.

So far have a beefy transmission, Have a big motor, rear and front sub-frames, driveshaft gas tanks, knuckles and hubs, brakes calipers, LSD rear diff and the @$!SACK to tackle this. Lol

Waiting on the ACT clutch, and an adapter plate.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talking 4.08:1

Progress so far, I bought a used LS400 for 400 dollars. I would have felt bad cutting up a Lexus but this one was about finished...

By the time I pulled out all of its parts it looked like this... lol

Got to work and adapted the aluminum front sub-frame from the LS400.

Excuse the dumb graphics =D

And than I put in a 350Z sub-frame, with a 300ZX NA VLSD differential with a 4.08:1 final drive, and axles.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here it is with the stock coilovers adapted and on the ground. Unfortunately I have to find a 5x114.3 hub that will go into the tC knuckles in the front.
So the wheels are mismatched for now (just to set it on the ground and test the suspension rebound.)

And now I am adapting the 300ZX transmission to this sweet 1UZ-FE V8.

And that is where I am at, i hope to get the motor updated and install a new timing belt, water pump, etc before next week so I can chop the tunnel raise it and test fit this motor and trans for the first time.

I did however get all of my fuel system stuff in. not fancy but its what I can afford.

Well that's it for now.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well haven't forgotten or stopped this project, just had to do a ____ ton of work to get the motor in and settled. the 300ZX trans is fairly huge so making room (cutting the tunnel out and replacing it) had to be done.

The 1UZ-FE is in for good, the motor mounts have been finalized and fastened.

Now to weld in the new tunnel, finish the rest of the wiring. reinstall the dash and accessories. do the fuel system, driveshaft, and exhaust.

Bear in mind this is slow going due to work, motivation and time.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mad mad scientist skills dude. Although, I'd kill you if you lived in my neighborhood with all that shyte on the driveway lol

Actually, the HOA would be standing outside your joint with pitchforks and fire, like a Frankenstein hunt. :D

But man, what a freaking project.

Why are you not doing this as a business??!! You could def make bank doing 3-4 cars at the same time, with the same exact layout, same parts (It would streamline stuff versus doing 1 at a time).

What state are you in? If your close enough I'd love to check this out, you can drive my 400whp 8thgen Civic SI coupe (12psi, 8800rpm, 1k injectors, Alpha header, Q300 exhaust) lots of Mugen and HFP parts - AKA Black Widow. I work for myself, so a close road trip would be awesome.

Your making me want a AWD tC after getting away from Scions. Seriously, this is just plain awesome - and you def have skills. You do realize there are people that would pay you to have this done if you could crank them out, right???
Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
Mad mad scientist skills dude. Although, I'd kill you if you lived in my neighborhood with all that shyte on the driveway lol

Actually, the HOA would be standing outside your joint with pitchforks and fire, like a Frankenstein hunt. :D

But man, what a freaking project.

Why are you not doing this as a business??!! You could def make bank doing 3-4 cars at the same time, with the same exact layout, same parts (It would streamline stuff versus doing 1 at a time).

What State are you in? If your close enough I'd love to check this out, you can drive my 400whp 8thgen Civic SI coupe (12psi, 8800rpm, 1k injectors, Alpha header, Q300 exhaust) lots of Mugen and HFP parts -
AKA Black Widow. I work for myself, so a close road trip would be awesome.

Your making me want a AWD tC after getting away from Scions. Seriously, this is just plain awesome - and you def have skills. You do realize there are people that would pay you to have this done if you could crank them out, right???
Hey torque!

I really appreciate the positive response. I thought about it and even had a few people contact me about doing AWD conversions (one wanted me to relocate to Canada to work at a shop?).

I think to date about 50 people have asked me in depth questions about the AWD system, I think only 2 are actually seriously considering this work.

I try to help people as much as possible but, all in all I don't want my hobby to be ruined by it becoming work. I don't know but for some people life is OK

As a monotonous mess but in the end if you cant enjoy it what's the point. So I will continue answering peoples questions to the best of my knowledge.

The Honda sounds sweet, and I currently live in Portland, Oregon. And we don't have an HOA and are surrounded by Latino people that could care less lol.

The AWD setup was actually easier than the RWD setup by far. there was actually half the fab work involved and less wiring as well.

Although admittedly the cost of the RWD setup has been a fraction of the AWD setup I previously had finished.

Anyways thanks again and no worries =)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The motor is finalized and the rear transmission mount is finished. Did measurements on the distance from the seal on the trans to the flange on the NA 300ZX diff.

So the engine is all settled in and bolted up! V8 goodness!

So with those measurements I contacted ShaftMasters to have a 3.5od aluminum driveshaft fabricated.

When I get that i can start building the tunnel around the transmission, and than start running the fuel system (fuel cell, lines, regulator..etc)

After that its connecting the steering column to the LS400 rack, and finishing up the wiring in total and than building my exhaust system.

Here is a photo of the car without its tunnel jacked up, i am very surprised at the over all rigidity of this frame. Very good stuff. most cars would have drooped without the frame weakened as is.

This is the transmission brace from an LS400 with a Nismo transmission mount and an adapter I fabbed to mate them together.

And here it is, a supported 1UZ-FE V8. the motor mounts and trans mount have been installed and it no longer need jacks to hold it in place.

That's all folks, will post more when the driveshaft and tunnel are in place!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well been busy but did some minor work to the tC, got all of the engine bay wiring done. The driveshaft is in, the oil relocation kit is installed,
the steering column and power steering lines are all in, the clutch slave for the 300ZX trans has been bled and installed.

Did a lot of clean up and work on the bay and harness. So far very good, now i need to patch the floor pan and tunnel and install the non dbw throttle cable and pedal.

Coming along great.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-08-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: From AWD to RWD