ID, OR, WA

AWD Street tC..lol..No for Real

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hata
an with the ole' ST246W caldina, no such thing has to be modded? I already read a lot on this mod but, it almost sounds like the caldina is perfect swappage/use of parts.
with the exception of them all being expensive to source parts, and having automatic transmissions, and having no rear lsd you would be correct.

and i didnt realize anyone else had any real info on this "mod" if you can treat it like aCAI install or a cat back lol...... i had to do all of my own research..
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since some of you asked here's the best video i can do until i break in my motor fully and get a decent
ems to run.. shows the car driving and boosting a bit.. but best of all no wheel spin at all where it
would have been screeching around corners..

This has a song from "kill switch engage" "the end of heartache" in the background
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

phenomenal job with this conversion.. When I saw someone install the 2nd gen Mr2 transmission to a turbo TC I thought that was time consuming and expensive. You my friend are the only person that has a AWD setup besides World Racing but they are no longer around. Dedication and skill too a high degree.. Great job...
Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GUNNIST14
phenomenal job with this conversion.. When I saw someone install the 2nd gen Mr2 transmission to a turbo TC I thought that was time consuming and expensive. You my friend are the only person that has a AWD setup besides World Racing but they are no longer around. Dedication and skill too a high degree.. Great job...
hahaha thanks man, its really appreciated. right now im dealing with a clutch failure after doing some street tuning, and WOT pulls.. apparently the act stage 3 decided to take a crap under the stress lol.. which sucks because i just bought it..

also fiy if anyone here hasn't checked out the new features of the aem fic tuning software i would strongly recommend updating your fic firmware and tuning software.. it apparently can now do overboost protection and tps based acceleration enrichment..

i can honestly tell you that unless the pavement is wet and i kick the car sideways i cannot break traction.. dig launches are amazing and the car hauls super ___..lol
Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where were you sourcing st246w parts? i been hunting for this stuff for months.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

2nd GT transmission matted to a tC's 2az that I've seen, but first Privately built AWD tC done. My boy Nick is running the E153 trans in his tC. Currently put down 500+whp. He opted to do Driveshaft shop custom axles though instead of the any other axle. Nice work man. Really digging it. Really nice to see some Toyota parts being utilized on tC's. Giving me some additional ideas to look into.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
2nd GT transmission matted to a tC's 2az that I've seen, but first Privately built AWD tC done. My boy Nick is running the E153 trans in his tC. Currently put down 500+whp. He opted to do Driveshaft shop custom axles though instead of the any other axle. Nice work man. Really digging it. Really nice to see some Toyota parts being utilized on tC's. Giving me some additional ideas to look into.
mind pointing me to the first 2az mounted to a gt4 trans? and the e153 is the turbo mr2 transmission.. the 2azfe doesnt just slap to any of the all trac transmissions just fyi.. its a total !@#$%. the mr2 trans on the other hand doesn't have a center differential to get in the way so its easy. but not a gt4 trans.

thanks man i appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by alienvictim
mind pointing me to the first 2az mounted to a gt4 trans? and the e153 is the turbo mr2 transmission.. the 2azfe doesnt just slap to any of the all trac transmissions just fyi.. its a total !@#$%. the mr2 trans on the other hand doesn't have a center differential to get in the way so its easy. but not a gt4 trans.

thanks man i appreciate it.
Yea correct. I called them the same due to the 3sgte, but realize the layout is different and could possibly be a different trans.

So what all would you need to change if you were just going RWD route.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Yea correct. I called them the same due to the 3sgte, but realize the layout is different and could possibly be a different trans.

So what all would you need to change if you were just going RWD route.
well . the diff needs to be geared different. so probably something from a supra, a cressida, etc.. anything rwd. the celicas/caldinas are 2.928ish and the others (rwd) are around 3-4..

they actually have a bellhousing for the w58, r154, (maybe the v160 getrag) that was off of a car in europe that bolted to a 3sgte.. sometimes you find them on craigslist for about 300 bucks.
i talked to papadakis racing and they said they were using 350z transmissions with a special made bellhousing that they were going to see about mass producing. so maybe its available now? although i don't know.

but the front subframe may need modifications to allow the oil pan to clear it if you orient the motor longitude wise and the way the front subframe beam sits may be an issue. but i dont know for sure..

speedometer stuff as covered earlier is pretty much idiot proof as long as the rear subframe you install has real wheel speed sensors as newer toyotas use the tone rings on the axles to determine wheel speed and some abs stuff. basically you splice two wires on each sensor into your stock harness and there you go..

some people have talked on the gt4 forums about welding the center diff on the gt4 trans and plugging the sides but its mostly talk. otherwise you may have to widen the tunnel through the frame to fit the rwd trans.. kinda new territory unless you contact the teams who ran tcs in formula drift.

it will require as much work as doing this gt4 swap.

Originally Posted by roadrunnergt
where were you sourcing st246w parts? i been hunting for this stuff for months.
didnt source the st246 stuff, too expensive st this time. and a lot of it didnt fit my criteria..(manual trans, rear lsd, etc) we bsed on facebook before i checked this haha, hope it was adequate.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and you would need custom exhaust and intake manifolds. because they way they sit they would get in the way on the firewall. also either deleted/relocated coolant lines and hoses. motor mounts.. etc. taka aono's ae86 is like the holy!@# of mounting buisness.. he has done some amazing stuff with that car and motor..
Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alienvictim
oh and you would need custom exhaust and intake manifolds. because they way they sit they would get in the way on the firewall. also either deleted/relocated coolant lines and hoses. motor mounts.. etc. taka aono's ae86 is like the holy!@# of mounting buisness.. he has done some amazing stuff with that car and motor..
Do you have any newer videos or pics for us droolers?
Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tshock
Do you have any newer videos or pics for us droolers?
haha i will try to get some soon, i still havent fixed the clutch issue that its having since it blew out. will do as soon as my finances allow. sorry about not having anything new just no money for extra stuff lately
Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well looks like i have to replace the transmission and not the clutch. so i will have to save a little and get a better one from an st205 celica instead of from the st185 celica like mine is the st185 trans is not up to par with a built 2azfe.

will update when i get the trans to replace the other one. unless someone knows of a cheap st205 trans available in the seattle portland area that i can buy sooner. otherwise it will have to be imported.

i really want to get this out to a track soon, especially with the hx40 turbo i just got.

anyways wanted to let people know it hasn't died, just a setback.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 AM
SL Member

Default gt4 brakes

Are the gt4 big brakes direct bolt on to the tc, or did you have to modify anything?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trackedtc
Are the gt4 big brakes direct bolt on to the tc, or did you have to modify anything?
theres a few routes to do this, you can buy the superstrut banana control arms knuckles and struts from an st205 used and modify the struts to fit (they are too tall to use as is. the lower arms actually bolt in directly and sit perfectly with the knuckle from the st205. buuut the strut is some weird ___ design that basically is too tall and compresses the strut completely so a custom setup would need to be made.

make knuckle adapters that will allow the calipers and rotors to fit your existing knuckles the bolt pattern (easier option) and hub bore are identical as well as the spline pattern for the axles. (although the nub depth on the splines is different.) so again a custom setup would need to be made.

for me im just going to modify the knuckles to work around the celicas brakes and rotors because i have them already and its overall cheaper for me. but for anyone who hasnt purchased these items and or doesnt have fabrication experience i would just recommend buying the willwood kit or another big brake option..

so its 60% compatible i would guess.

also sorry about no updates. trying to save the cash to get the new st205 trans but stuff keeps coming up.. if anyone has one for sale it would greatly help me get this project back on its feet faster.

but thats will be an all else fails situation as i really would like to keep the all trac system intact. i may also just rwd it which is the easiest option of all with a r154 or 350z trans or something similar and stupid easy in comparrison to what i just went through lol. either way i would rather have a driving fast car than an expensive thing i cant upkeep due to lack of parts availability.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't posted here in awhile, but must say this is pretty good work.. I always knew a awd tc with celica all trac components was possible. Quick question did you ever look into using the rear awd components from the toyota matrix/pontiac vibe?

I had looked into this a few years back, and was just about to start the conversion process when my tc was rear ended by a semi...
Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gtfourtc
I haven't posted here in awhile, but must say this is pretty good work.. I always knew a awd tc with celica all trac components was possible. Quick question did you ever look into using the rear awd components from the toyota matrix/pontiac vibe?

I had looked into this a few years back, and was just about to start the conversion process when my tc was rear ended by a semi...
well this was brought up to me by a friend on facebook, we decided it actually wouldnt line up after we did the homework.. but considering at that point its about the same amount of work to adapt either..makes me glad i chose the subframe that had the lsd attached to it lol

who knows it may actually line up, but im probably not going to try since mines basically done.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh forgot to post up and mention i finally got the newer st205 transmission, luckily found that for 600 bucks. also got some parts in to make my rear suspension a bit better. and than found out my gas tank has developed a leak. so i have to pull it again and see if i can braze the hole shut (after cleaning it out with water of course lol)

anyways should be back up and running soon.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This doesn't surprise me as Pete is one smart guy and I am fortunate to have him as a friend
Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyC
This doesn't surprise me as Pete is one smart guy and I am fortunate to have him as a friend
thanks anthony

Quick Reply: AWD Street tC..lol..No for Real