Got an exhaust ticket? Sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Got an exhaust ticket? Sticky?

Have you gotten an exhaust violation ticket? Do you want to avoid getting one? If you do NOT have an aftermarket header, and have gotten a noise violation or other exhaust ticket her in southern california, call this number and get an appointment with the referee station closest to you to have your exhaust tested.
The number is: 1-800-622-7733
They will complete a smog test on your car as well as a decibel test on your car to see if you are still within Californias legal limit. The legal limit in California is 95 decibels and has a forgiveness range of 1.5 decibels. As long as your car passess smog and the exhaust tone is less than 96.5 decibels, you will pass and they will give you a paper that states that your exhaust system is legal in california. Axlebacks will most likely automatically pass without problems and most catbacks will pass also. If you have an aftermarket header, or have deleted any of your catalytic converters, or have an intake that doesn't have a CARB sticker (i recommend just removing your intake and then put it back on after the certification anyway)...you will not pass. You can keep this paper so that if you get pulled over and the officer says he/she wants to ticket you for exhaust, you can show them this paper and possibly be let go without a problem (that is if your ticketing officer is not a d!ck) And also, if you have a ticket, this could be presented to the court and you might not have to remove your exhaust at all and be good to go. Hope this helps

Possible sticky Mods?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I hope that people will see this instead of posting another...
"i got a ticket for my exhaust" thread
Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes very good post, i second the sticky request so that this is easy to find in the future!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

thank you
Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i don't remember for sure but i believe it's around 100 dollars
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just thought I would give some food for thought... As some might find this interesting.. I'll break it down for you..

There is a California law, stating that if you can be heard 50 feet or more, you can be cited for it. Most people receive this citation for their stereo being to loud, but the law doesn't state that it is stereo specific, so you can receive a citation for your exhaust as well.

27200. (a) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall not register on a dealer's report of sale a new motor vehicle, except an off-highway motor vehicle subject to identification as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000), which produces a maximum noise exceeding the applicable noise limit at a distance of 50 feet from the centerline of travel under test procedures established by the Department of the California Highway Patrol.
(b) The Department of Motor Vehicles may accept a dealer's certificate as proof of compliance with this article.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

wow, even i didn't know that, nice chris
Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also wanna share something bout this topic..when the cop pulls you over just hope its a correctible citation not a (non correctible) with the correctible citation you can call the referee and have the decibel checked pass or not . no fee, no smog.... if passed you only pay $10 in court. for the non correctible which i got for my tC back in 2006..you still have to make an appointment for the referee , they stamp a stupid sticker on the back of your citation stating that your not allowed to drive the vehicle until everything has been put to stock. or next time they'll tow it. the referee i got was a d*ck!! everything has to be stock all bolts have to be there and even your stupid heat shield or he'll send you back home, after all is complete you go to court and talk to the judge as long as you plea guilty he'll lower your bail amount..like mine was $1300 he lowered it to $1000, it still hurt tho..
Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1k..WTF!!! i just got one for being stopped at a light, i see the cop turn and then u-turn and get behind me i'm sitting there F'man he's gonna pull me over. i didn't even go pass 2k rpm's when i turned at the light and he puts his lights on me. walks to my car and saids license..blah..go F yourself..blah, and i ask him reason for pulling me over and he said loud exhaust..F-you man it's under 96 db's. so to make a long story short he put non-correctable..WTF!! i can't pay 1k just for this cr&p...the good thing is that he didn't ask me to pop my hood cause then i'll be really screwed.. atleast he didn't get my speeding
Old 05-18-2008, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AcidDrop
1k..WTF!!! i just got one for being stopped at a light, i see the cop turn and then u-turn and get behind me i'm sitting there F'man he's gonna pull me over. i didn't even go pass 2k rpm's when i turned at the light and he puts his lights on me. walks to my car and saids license..blah..go F yourself..blah, and i ask him reason for pulling me over and he said loud exhaust..F-you man it's under 96 db's. so to make a long story short he put non-correctable..WTF!! i can't pay 1k just for this cr&p...the good thing is that he didn't ask me to pop my hood cause then i'll be really screwed.. atleast he didn't get my speeding
Throw the stock stuff back on, it should only be $10.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well my exhaust is welded on but it's probably not as loud as the trd so i'm leaving that on. intake, headers, and s-pipe are coming off. it's $10 court and $15 shieff over here...and this is what we get for supporting our local cops by going to their show and donating..bastards
Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah just put the stock intake, s pipe and header back and take it to the ref to get certified then u can put the stuff back on after u take the certification to the courts on your court date
Old 05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some refs are **** about exhaust as well..
Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you should be cool..exhaust ticket only right? it wont reach to a grand, mine reached $1,000 cuz of other things.. so its non correctable? yeah that sux i doubt it will be neither $10 or $15. good luck!!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i'm gonna take it to a friend to measure the DB and i know it's not more than 96.5 so i'm gonna try to ask for a judge and i was doing 35 on a 35mph street so i hope he is really chill and lets me slide
Old 05-29-2008, 12:57 AM

Well it happened to me this weekend too. I got a ticket for tint and something about emmissions... he mentioned my exhaust and intake.
It says not correctable and put a sticker on the back of my citation saying to go to state ref.
How much would I expect to pay to just go to the ref? I could put the stock parts back no problem, Ive done this before but only had to pay a fix it ticket, so Im not sure what to expect.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ref will be $36 I believe, and as long as everything is stock and you ripped your tint off, it will be $10 per citation. Even if the cop writes non-correctable, the judge knows that it is.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got the ticket in the mail and it's $123, cheaper than what i was expecting.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM

have people gotten pulled over because of the TRD exhaust? im think about getting one, but i dont want to deal with situations like this. also, will my car have trouble passing smog with the TRD exhaust?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
Team Sushi
SL Member

exhaust wont hurt emmisions unless you start removing cats or installing a header then you wont pass cause there will be no cats to catch te excess exhaust fumes

Quick Reply: Got an exhaust ticket? Sticky?