Notices
Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge
Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

FR-S or BRZ I can't decide...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member

Question FR-S or BRZ I can't decide...

I never drove a Subaru, so not sure about buying an BRZ. I'm still bouncing back and forth on which one to buy after income tax. I may just upgrade from my tC to an FR-S...any suggestions?

I read in a car magazine that FRS has more options/features than the BRZ, also said about FR-S has Turbo and yet, the BRZ don't have Turbo (which is a deal breaker to me)
and also saying that BRZ's are a little expensive as well. So, guess that answered my question to which one to buy, lol.

However, on second thought...What are your thoughts about the FR-S vs BRZ?? (I assume there is another tread similar to this, if so (let me know what page, thx)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-24-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-22-2015, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When the FRS comes turbo'd, you let me know....
Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WRX1316_TcVicent
I never drove a Subaru, so not sure about buying an BRZ. I'm still bouncing back and forth on which one to buy after income tax. I may just upgrade from my Tc to an FRS...any suggestions?

I read in a car magazine that FRS has more options/features than the BRZ, also said about FRS has turbo and yet, the BRZ don't have turbo (which is a deal breaker to me) and also saying that Brz's are alittle expensive as well. So, guess that answered my question to which one to buy, lol.

However, on second thought...What are your thoughts about the FRS vs BRZ?? (I assume there is another tread similar to this, if so (let me know what page, thx)

They are the same exact car. Seriously. No motor difference, no power difference. Nothing.

If you want to make any power, and have a fun car - you need to boost it. Supercharger or turbo. I have a brand new Kraftwerks supercharger kit in the classifieds for both cars (since they are the same car).

If you dump money into bolt-on mods, you are throwing money away, when adding forced induction is the only way to really wake the FRS/BRZ up. My kit is $700 cheaper than kraftwerks sells it on the site, and its brand new in boxes.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need more power, in order for it to be a "fun" car.

If you know how to push the car to its limits (fine line) , above 4k rpm it does eat more gas as the direct injection kicks in, then it is very fun to drive. Keeping it below 4k rpm helps with mpg if it is your DD.

If you know the right bolt-ons to get, it isn't a waist of money. A good exhaust (can give 8-9 more HP) and provide good flow/back pressure also can give a bit more mpg. Most FRS/BRZ owners go with a TRD/ K&N drop in, as the stock air intake system is fairly efficient and well designed. If you go with a $350 CAI set up, then you need to get the car tuned (more $$ ) to utilize that, then you can get an extra 2-4 hp out of a system like that. A aftermarket header is pretty much the most increase out of all bolt ons.

Either way you cut it, bolt ons ($1000-1500), or turbo/supercharger ($4k+) = more money spent. Adding a turbo/supercharger will change the character of the car for sure (cannot say for better, or worse ... depends on the driver/owner), and if you're going to do it right you best tear open the engine and start upgrading and replacing internals to help the engine handle more compression/boost.

Also, stock cars retain value better, and sell faster for more money if/when you go to sell used.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhhhh, and cannot decide on FR-S or BRZ for '17 model year.... anyone.

Check the '17 BRZ , that is the one to get (cosmetics , options, etc) for this coming year.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-24-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo