Notices
Scion iA Discussion Lounge
Scion iA Forum - The new stylish Scion sedan

This iA looks really bland..but it might be AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default This iA looks really bland..but it might be AWESOME!

First of all, I'm a Scion lover so I'm pretty biased. I'm on my 2nd xB and I've driven nothing but Scions for the last 10 years. I thought this iA looked like a joke when I first saw it. Actually, I still kinda think it looks like a joke on the outside but man it's one of those cars that does everything right in it's class(B segment) that there's nothing else that comes close in the sub 18k range--16.5k for the manual, 17.5 for the automatic.

Scion has done a lot to make this iA stand out. True, it's a light car(2400lbs) with only 106 HP(103lb torque) but the umbrella shape of the pistons give it a very strong 12-1 compression ratio. This car has a ton of get up and go for such low hp. Some of the reviews I've read say they're averaging over 40MPG which if true, is a rarity with any car not named Prius.

Plus, when you drive this car around corners they've done something where it takes those corners with very little roll and almost zero pitch. I don't know how they did it, I do know the transmission is a few steps above what a car like this normally gets and they connected the power steering system directly to the frame without any bushings..I guess to lower weight and it sure does seem to make a huge difference in driving dynamics. So far we've got a lot of pep and great driving up and down hills and around corners.

I'm not real big on how the car looks on the outside, the inside design by Derrick Jenkins is shockingly nice. The quality textures and shapes make you feel like you're driving a more expensive car that's for sure. Also, for the driver you've got everything right at your disposal - dash, touchscreen, climate controls, trans, and the **** in the middle console. Some of the colors are questionable but the car doesn't look bad in white(my 1st choice), red or that dark blue Scion calls Abyss.

Now what does bother me about this car is the bland outside design, the front grill being the worst part, and the fact there is no sunroof. However, I'm old enough to get over these weaknesses if I know I'm getting a kickass car that NOBODY will be impressed by but me!

The way I see it if you're looking for a quality new car for a decent price this is so many steps above any other car like it in it's class. I'm not sure who will buy it but when I see it on the road I'm going to think that both the owner and myself are in on a pretty big secret.

What do you think, am I crazy?

Last edited by BlingSlade; 09-20-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM

I agree on all points, except i love the no sunroof aspect, i have a 2002 camaro and i hate ttops, i had a 1987 300zx and the ttops leaked haha so a solid roof makes me very happy.

I didnt know the steering bolted right to the frame, i like that, you can feel the responce in the car.

If you know you're crazy, you're not crazy!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great I'm sure you love your new ride! Did you get it in graphite or Sterling?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:16 AM

I have no idea haha its a dark grey and apparently has a slight tint to the windows, that will be changed to florida limit lol maybe 5% darker than legal
Old 12-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Except the iA is based on a Mazda 2, which isnt available in North America. So how would you get the Mazda version?
Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Default So why bother

Originally Posted by krim
You miss the point. I quite simply have absolutely no interest in buying a Mazda.
So why are you wasting your and our time on this thread?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 AM

Default Power steering

I have a 08 XB and absolutely love it. I had this problem a few months after I bought it, we reset the epu and it has been fine since, until today. My husband went to the store and it happens again, we tried the reset by disconnecting the battery cable and not so lucky this time! So now after reading all the posts here I am worried because I don't have $600-$2000 to spend right now and we don't have warranty, we are over 135k miles