No RCA Jacks for Amp install..

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Default No RCA Jacks for Amp install..

There are NO RCA jacks on the OEM Head Unit like there were on previous model Scions. There are 2 open jacks for harnesses to plug in to that may indicate that future models with this Head Unit or other cars (tC or FR-S) may have a sub woofer option that a harness
plugs into on the Head Unit though. I need to do some more research. Here are some pictures for reference. The piano black piece just pops off (gently. I started from the corner by the passenger airbag light) and there are 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash.

Name:  IMG_2865_zpswm0sa9xw.jpg
Views: 22122
Size:  138.4 KB

There are two plugs that attach to the piano black piece (hazard switch and passenger airbag switch) that need to be disconnected before removing the trim bezel completely

Name:  IMG_2867_zpsm4h6nl3u.jpg
Views: 22186
Size:  156.8 KB

After the trim is out of the way you can removed the 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash and slide it out at an angle. There are multiple connectors to remove from the rear of the stereo, but as you can see there are no RCA jacks built into the Head Unit. This makes me sad. I really do not want to use line converters to make RCA jacks, I may look into the Bespoke NAV Head Unit, but before doing so I am going to read up more on the Toyota Auris, and Toyota Corolla Levin ZR then scavenge the rear interior of the vehicle, and under the seats to see if the car is pre-wired for any kind of sub woofer option we don't have yet here in the States.

Name:  IMG_2870_zpsrz8rsmiw.jpg
Views: 22120
Size:  151.7 KB

Here is the Model number / info from the stereo label:

Name:  IMG_2871_zpsf9grs3fu.jpg
Views: 22766
Size:  162.4 KB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-01-2021 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member

I have not seen RCA outputs in Scion radios since around 2013. Once they changed over to the Head Units with the large screen in the center they went away with it

It's a shame I really like the look of those Head Units but am not about to hack the wiring to make my sub work in my '10 xB.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-01-2021 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-30-2015, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by fatngs
i have not seen RCA outputs in scion radios since around 2013..... once they changed over to the head units with the large screen in the center they went away with it

its a shame i really like the look of those head units but am not about to hack the wiring to make my sub work in my '10 xb

Samesies... I am hoping that as the aftermarket for these cars picks up someone will create some sort of a plug / play harness creating a powered line out converter for the OEM harness. I could easily draw a schematic / and a how to with a PIN out, but I have no way to produce the actual design
Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could you yank that stock stereo out and replace it with something like a Pioneer AVHX5700BHS or something similar?
Old 10-04-2015, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlingSlade
Could you yank that stock stereo out and replace it with something like a Pioneer AVHX5700BHS or something similar?
I'm really not trying to lose the steering wheel controls (or pay out the ___ for a module), and I like the back up camera as well...
Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by prescottn
I'm really not trying to lose the steering wheel controls (or pay out the ___ for a module), and I like the back up camera as well...
You can probably have that Pioneer with the steering wheel controls, back up camera, bypass for just 400 bucks. I just can't stay with a stock stereo, it's never good enough.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by prescottn
There are NO RCA jacks on the OEM Head Unit like there were on previous model Scions. There are 2 open jacks for harnesses to plug in to that may indicate that future models with this Head Unit or other cars (tC or FR-S) may have a subwoofer option that a harness plugs into on the Head Unit though. I need to do some more research. Here are some pictures for reference. The piano black piece just pops off (gently... I started from the corner by the passenger airbag light) and there are 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash.

There are two plugs that attach to the piano black piece (hazard switch and passenger airbag switch) that need to be disconnected before removing the trim bezel completely

After the trim is out of the way you can removed the 4 x 10mm bolts that secure the radio to the dash and slide it out at an angle. There are multiple connectors to remove from the rear of the stereo, but as you can see there are no RCA jacks built into the Head Unit. This makes me sad. I really do not want to use line converters to make RCA jacks, I may look into the Bespoke NAV Head Unit, but before doing so I am going to read up more on the Toyota Auris, and Toyota Corolla Levin ZR then scavenge the rear interior of the vehicle, and under the seats to see if the car is pre-wired for any kind of sub woofer option we don't have yet here in the States.

Here is the Model number / info from the stereo label:

Tap the Rear speakers and use this:

Amazon.com : PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter : Power Converters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : PAC SNI-35 Variable LOC Line Out Converter : Power Converters : Car Electronics

It works very well, and have used it in the past 3 cars I have owned, without any need to hack anything apart, or jack up controls.. etc..

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-01-2021 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge