Notices
Scion iQ Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

New iQ owner, question about window tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM

Default New iQ owner, question about window tint

Hi all - I'm new here. I just bought a new 2012 iQ this afternoon (silver) and I'll be picking it up next week.

Newbie question: I want to get the windows tinted, but unsure how dark I should go. If I get it done at Scion (in order to get the cost of the tinting worked into my monthly payments), is there a % of tint that they'll want to do?

Thoughts and advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Blair
Old 05-12-2013, 10:26 PM

A lot of the decision is dependent upon where you have the car licensed. Different states have different maximums of percentage that are permitted, and (I understand) some states have different levels permitted on rear windows, rear side windows, and front side windows.

Research what your state allows, and then proceed from there. Also, it's unlikely that the dealership will do anything other than what is absolutely permitted.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Sensha
Also, it's unlikely that the dealership will do anything other than what is absolutely permitted.
This is incorrect; as I have purchased two new vehicles in a three year time span and I had the option of choosing illegal/legal tint based on Arizona state law. The dealer will have multiple options of window tint; some options are legal, some options are illegal. I would advise you to go with what your state law entails regarding tint; however, it is your decision and your preference. The dealer should have no problem advising you what is legal vs. illegal in your state.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toeveryhour
This is incorrect; as I have purchased two new vehicles in a three year time span and I had the option of choosing illegal/legal tint based on Arizona state law. The dealer will have multiple options of window tint; some options are legal, some options are illegal. I would advise you to go with what your state law entails regarding tint; however, it is your decision and your preference. The dealer should have no problem advising you what is legal vs. illegal in your state.
Yup, every state is different. In California it is illegal to apply any tint to the windows. If it didn't come from the factory it's illegal. That being said, most CHP and Cops won't screw with you unless the front windows are very dark.

My buddy just got popped on the freeway by the CHP, the guy said it was dangerous. Let's not lie Mr. Officer, it's more an issue of revenue generation...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In PA as long as you have two outside mirrors you can do what you want behind the B pillar. NOTHING UP FRONT.