Notices
Scion iQ ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Removing Rear Seat(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 AM
chk

Question Removing Rear Seat(s)

The Scion iQ is definitely my next car (right now I have a 9 year old Honda Element) I finally went to the dealer today and those front seats are nice and comfy. BUT, I have no use for the back seats at all. Need more cargo space though. Has anyone attempted to take out the back seats? I actually wish Scion would make this an option.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to cause a scene, but why are you buying a iQ if you want cargo space? lol

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2012, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you can fold them down. I've done that with my tC, and dont have a use for them. I might remove them for weight reduction
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thealexhernandez
maybe you can fold them down. I've done that with my tC, and dont have a use for them. I might remove them for weight reduction
You can definitely fold down the seats. But from what I have seen, the rear seats don't take up much space at all. You may want to just check one out at a dealership and check it out, especially if you need the cargo space because It definitely doesn't have more than your Element.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear seat is easily removed and provides quite a bit of space. Folding down the rear seat gives you a little more but the iQ was not really designed to haul a lot of stuff.

There are six bolts that hold the rear seat in place. Remove those bolts and the entire seat can be removed through the back window.

I removed my rear seat when I originally installed my Air-Runner air suspension. I have since moved the air kit under the iQ and re-installed the rear seat.

Name:  DSCN0678.jpg
Views: 3770
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0665.jpg
Views: 3166
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0702.jpg
Views: 3076
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  DSCN1463.jpg
Views: 3947
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1458.jpg
Views: 4359
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
chk

Originally Posted by eignub
Not to cause a scene, but why are you buying a iq if you want cargo space? lol
Well, I can see where you would think that! But I haul a lot of groceries (we are into eating our fresh fruit and veggies) and keep a big cooler in the back of the car to protect them from the south Florida heat. Also, I always have a bag with a bathing suit, beach towels and a change of clothes in the car--for stopping by the community pool for a swim after hitting the gym (usually with a cooler full of groceries in back)

BTW--The real reason I'll be trading in the Element for the IQ is that I desperately want some additional garage space so we can store our bicycles more conveniently. Right now we have to move stuff all around to just get the bikes out of the garage. The Element is 169 inches long--the IQ only 120 inches!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
chk

THANK YOU--for letting me know that the seat is bolted down and can be removed. I assume it comes out in one piece not two--correct?!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chk
THANK YOU--for letting me know that the seat is bolted down and can be removed. I assume it comes out in one piece not two--correct?!
Yes, one piece. You might want to put down painters tape on the side panels (where the rear cup holders are) to prevent scratching the plastic.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member

Default How To Remove the IQ's Rear Seats

OK, if you are not 18 and want to remove your IQ's rear seats here is how I did it.

First, some background, I bought the IQ to use for courier work so the extra space is valuable to me.

1: Remove the storage box and take out the emergency kit polystyrene tray. That exposes the rear 4 bolts you need to remove. Use a 12mm socket/wrench.
2: Slide Pax seat forward and maybe even drivers to give your self some room. Then lift each front corner firmly until it pops out of snap in clasp.
3: Remove one of the panels in what should be the first picture below right behind the drink holders. You only need to remove one I removed the one on Pax side. Use a flat head screwdriver to pop it out it has foam on the back so getting it out isn't necessarily smooth and easy but not difficult either! This will let you:
4: Pull that side of the seat forward (the backs have to be released="down") it will now come forward enough so you can now go to open hatch and lift the other side up and bring the whole unit out (yes, in one piece!) be careful about the bolt mounts on the hinge so they don't scrape your plastic interior.
5: You have the option to remove the U mounts that the seat backs latched into. Using that flat head screwdriver again pop of the panel that they come through and you will see the bolt you need to remove to get them off!

I am attaching pics of the panel that you need to remove before and after. The cargo space after seat removal (note: the white tabs are where the seat front clips into place) and a pic of the seat, storage box and emergency kit with the bolts and 12mm socket wrench I used to get it out!

That should be helpful I hope!

Peace,

~Phil Phree
Attached Thumbnails Removing Rear Seat(s)-panel-needs-removed.jpg   Removing Rear Seat(s)-sm-rear-panel-opened-seat-removal.jpg   Removing Rear Seat(s)-cargo-area-after-seat-removed.jpg   Removing Rear Seat(s)-rear-seat-storage-box-out.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 AM

Very interesting! Thank you so much. I have only had my iQ for 4 months but so far I have not found the storage to be a problem so may not take the seat out after all. But good to know for future reference. The back seats are folded forward --permanently as far as I'm concerned--and I tote my big cooler everywhere (good for lugging groceries in the Florida heat) The biggest thing I've carried so far was a 30"w x72"h x16"d cabinet, knocked down and unassembled of course!

Oh, and obviously I went ahead and got the iQ (gave my sister my Element)
Here's a photo:

Removing Rear Seat(s)-myscion.jpg

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-28-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: type
Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile

Originally Posted by PhilPhree
OK, if you are not 18 and want to remove your IQ's rear seats here is how I did it.
First, some background, I bought the IQ to use for courier work so the extra space is valuable to me.
1: Remove the storage box and take out the emergency kit polystyrene tray. That exposes the rear 4 bolts you need to remove. Use a 12mm socket/wrench.
2: slide Pax seat forward and maybe even drivers to give your self some room. Then lift each front corner firmly until it pops out of snap in clasp.
3: Remove one of the panels in what should be the first picture below right behind the drink holders. You only need to remove one I removed the one on Pax side. Use a flat head screwdriver to pop it out it has foam on the back so getting it out isn't necessarily smooth and easy but not difficult either! This will let you:
4: Pull that side of the seat forward (the backs have to be released="down") it will now come forward enough so you can now go to open hatch and lift the other side up and bring the whole unit out (yes, in one piece!) be carful about the bolt mounts on the hinge so they don't scrape your plastic interior.
5: You have the option to remove the U mounts that the seat backs latched into. Using that flat head screwdriver again pop of the panel that they come through and you will see the bolt you need to remove to get them off!
I am attaching pics of the panel that you need to remove before and after. The cargo space after seat removal (note: the white tabs are where the seat front clips into place) and a pic of the seat, storage box and emergency kit with the bolts and 12mm socket wrench I used to get it out!
That should be helpful I hope!
Peace,
~Phil Phree
Great instructions Thank you
Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up