Notices
Scion iQ Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Megan coilovers :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 AM

Default Megan coilovers :)

Just received my megan coilovers today thanks.to jmautoracing they look good
Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM

Any install pictures yet?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I've talked to my buddy who has them. Meagan used his iQ for test fitment. He really likes them. Although he doesn't ride very low he says the performance is very well worth the price.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Do you know if there is a big difference between the Tanabe NF210s and these? I feel if he doesn't ride "low" then theres no point to spending $900 vs $300. Right?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jooshbag
Do you know if there is a big difference between the Tanabe NF210s and these? I feel if he doesn't ride "low" then theres no point to spending $900 vs $300. Right?
He rides a little higher by choice, his wife drives the iQ. It's nice to have the ability to lower it when you want/need to though.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 PM

That's true. You had the NF210s correct? Was there much wheel gap?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jooshbag
That's true. You had the NF210s correct? Was there much wheel gap?
I ran the NF210's for about a week. There was less wheel gap and the ride was nice. You'll have more of a drop with the Meagan's.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

how low can the coilovers go?

in for some installed pics! please!!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Megan coil overs

The question was asked how low will they go, the answer is all the way to the ground if you want. Only issue being you wouldn't be able to drive the car. I have mine lowered till I have about an inch of wheel well gap above the tire. With a factory circumference sized tire this gives you 2.5" of clearance under the car with nobody sitting inside. So basically this car sits on the ground. I will tell you this it rides like one fined tuned performance machine. I have driven acouple 100,000 cars that couldn't handle as good as my car lol. Don't know how to add pics on here or I would feel free to look me up
On the scion iq forum. My car goes by the name scrappy. Do a search and you will find plenty of pics
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

The Megan racing coilovers are a very good quality coil over for this car. You will be happy with them!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:30 AM

Are there any major issues with negative camber when lowering an inch or two on the megan coils.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crazywhitesileighty
Are there any major issues with negative camber when lowering an inch or two on the megan coils.
No, I lowered mine a hell of a lot more than an inch, and I still have my front chamber adjustment set neutral. I didn't have to add or subtract any chamber to keep everything correct. The rear of the car is a solid axle, so no matter how low you go the chamber will not be affected. I recently took my wife out for a ride in our IQ and just for fun I tested my alignment to see how good it was. I took my hands off the wheel, and it went for well over a 1/4 mile without drifting to one side or the other. The Megan Coil over kit is a good deal for its price, and it's construction is very good
Attached Thumbnails Megan coilovers :)-image.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 AM

Awesome. I am not familiar with solid rear axle. Out of 12 cars only three are solid. I am super excited about getting coils and sway bars.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Smile Suspension upgrades

Originally Posted by Crazywhitesileighty
Awesome. I am not familiar with solid rear axle. Out of 12 cars only three are solid. I am super excited about getting coils and sway bars.
You will benefit greatly from both the coil overs, and the sway bars. I added the rear TRD sway bar kit to my IQ that also comes with the upgraded polyurethane front sway bar bushings. I also took it one step further, because I felt that the front end was still giving me a bit of body roll under harsh cornering. What I discovered when analyzing the front end is that our factory front sway bar end links are made out of Thin Aluminum.( most likely in an effort to cut weight) the problem is that although they where fine for regular casual driving, once you started to really drive the IQ hard they where flexing, tiny amounts maybe, but as someone who has worked on, and driven cars since being 15 I could feel it. So the quest began to find an aftermarket company that made a stronger more well built set of front sway-bar end links. Not much to my surprise there was no such company, so I decided to design a set myself based off of heavy duty units used in racing and off roading applications. What I came up with is a 3/4" thick swaged shaft, with Fully Adjustable Heim joints at each end. I had to open up the hole on both the end of the sway bar, and the strut because the new attachment bolts are 1mm bigger than the factory openings. The factory openings measure in at 12mm and the new studs I used are 13mm which are just a little bit more robust, and easier to find than the 12mm studs that are on our factory front sway bar end links. There where other companies out there making sway bar end links that came in an adjustable size, and may have worked length wise, but all came with a 10mm stud size that just wasn't going to work. I took all the proper measurements needed, and sourced a company that would custom fabricate a set for me. I've added a picture so you can see the contrast between the weak factory sway bar end links, and my new and improved custom versions. Once I got these on the car, the difference was evident immediately!! The car now handles like a high end sports car. The short wheel base of our cars, combined with how wide they are, and a well designed suspension adds up to one serious fun to drive little car

Regards,
Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Megan coilovers :)-image.jpg  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM

I really need these... I'm going to replace mine soon as got a knocking when turning left/or when weight is on that wheel. Guessing it could be the front sway bar end links or droplinks as we call them here. I think the delivery was mega to ship here when I got in touch with Jim regarding the links
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know why the shipping would be so much, I ship things from Japan to the US all the time, and it isn't that much. Maybe, you may be better off to find a local machine shop to fabricate you a set, but if the shipping is about $100 or so I'd get them from Jim.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aaronfife
I really need these... I'm going to replace mine soon as got a knocking when turning left/or when weight is on that wheel. Guessing it could be the front sway bar end links or droplinks as we call them here. I think the delivery was mega to ship here when I got in touch with Jim regarding the links
Aaron, you may want to check the nut on the top of your strut assembly. I just remembered that your vehicle has had the factory springs swapped out. I had a similar sound happen when I installed my TRD lowering springs ( I had these before my coil overs) I installed them myself, and even though I torqued every bolt to factory specs, the shock bolt on one of mine came loose, and the car started making a similar sound under load, and hard turns. I literally pulled everything back apart, and started going through the entire job bolt by bolt, when I discovered the loose shock nut. I re tightened it, after putting a drop of thread locker on it, and the sound was gone
It's worth checking!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Interesting and I hope it might be something that simple! I'll try and have a look this week of what it is. I suspect it's the drop link but you never know until you remove the wheel and check things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk