Notices

17 Inch Sparco Assetto Gara

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 17 Inch Sparco Assetto Gara

Hey folks,

I didn't do a very good job chronicling the history of my tC, but I'm going to post everything i do to or learn about my iQ.

Just finished installing Sparco Assetto Gara (Graphite) rims with Toyo Proxes4 tires. Here are all the specs to that setup:

17x7 with 37 offset (thanks to Surfcity I know that 35-45 offset will work)
215/47/17 tires (8.4 in wide, 24.8 diameter, sidewall 3.8 inches)

With this setup the tires come all the way out to the fender. Maybe just a little beyond, but I did go with the lower offset and wider tire... A 40-42 offset with a 205/45/17 would probably be the best setup for lowering the car, but the look I have now has kind of grown on me.

I have 70mm clearance from tire to fender in the front and 90mm of clearance in the back. I'm considering the TRD springs. They give me some drop but not too much (I learned my lesson by slamming the tC - my wife used the body kit bumper as a snow plow and curb feeler for years). The TRD springs give you 1.2in/30.48mm of drop all around. So, I'll still have some clearance. I do believe that with a TRD set up a big bump/dip (or curb at full lock) will give me a little rub. Maybe?? Not sure what the camber does as the tires move up and down. If it pitches in negative at all, then I should be ok.

Wheels weights for those of you that are interested in minutiae:

Sparco - 19.8lbs
Steelies - 17.0lbs
Toyos - 22.2lbs
Stock GY - 17.0lbs
Hubcap - .4lbs

So, roughly 8lbs per tire increase.

Five days straight of rain and the tires have great wet traction. No slide parking for me.

I did add a set of Muteki lugs, but I didn't weigh them because my wife already thinks I'm ridiculous.

I've order mud guards because for this set up, but it's also occurred to me that this would be perfect for someone who's installing a widebody kit.

I have a resource to suggest for those of you doing tire/wheel research.

www.1010tires.com has a great calculator for figuring out tire dimensions.

Pics:
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  22.3 KB
Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  18.6 KBName:  sweetness.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  25.3 KBName:  Top.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  20.0 KBName:  over.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  27.4 KB
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great. I'll be watching your progress.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member

Is that tire size correct a 215/47? Or did you mean a 215/40 or 215/45?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member

Good information.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wrong offset and tire size. The correct offset for a scion iq on an aftermarket wheel should be 45 if you want to keep your speedo proper your tire size should be 205-45-17
A 37 offset will rub if you hit a hard enough dip in the road.
My iq is on Megan coil overs I sit extremely low. I run this combo and I have zero rubbing no mater what!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member

I am looking at some 18x7.5 XXR 002's with a 38mm backspacing. Will these fit without rubbing or hanging past the wheel well, and how about after I lower it 1.7 all the way around?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default Those look cool!

I guess I could have finished reading the thread before I replied. Surf City is obviously the go to guy for mods and lowering your IQ! I just gave my two cents because I know I lot more than the average tire guy! Nice pics gives me a good look at the way they fill the wheel wells too! When and if I change my wheels I might just go this wide too. Was going to stop at 205s as I don't need all that for my work car have a little "two seater" that gets 1.03 Gs on the skidpad! That is my play car!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PhilPhree
I guess I could have finished reading the thread before I replied. Surf City is obviously the go to guy for mods and lowering your IQ! I just gave my two cents because I know I lot more than the average tire guy! Nice pics gives me a good look at the way they fill the wheel wells too! When and if I change my wheels I might just go this wide too. Was going to stop at 205s as I don't need all that for my work car have a little "two seater" that gets 1.03 Gs on the skidpad! That is my play car!
Surfcitylocal knows a bit more than the average, but don't assume he knows it all when it comes to the IQ, I promise you I could answer questions about the IQ that far surpass the knowledge of most. I am the only person I currently know of running all wheel disk brakes, and still have a parking brake. I run a coilover suspension because it is far superior to an airbag setup when it comes to handling. I also will fill you in on one a bit of info, last time I checked surfcitylocal was running a 215-35-18 tire which throws off your speedo much more that a 205-40-18 which will fill in your wheel well and is narrower so will reduce your risk of rubbing on hard cornering or dips in the road. I don't post pics on here because I don't know how to so I'm sure I don't have the credibility that others may have, but ill promise you this, my IQ is one of a kind, and the level of detail I've put into it would take you hours to take it all in. I've literally changed as many bolts/nuts on the IQ as I could to Polished stainless steel.
I am a car builder, I do not have sponsors, and I only give opinions on a part that I have purchased and used myself, my opinions are blunt honest, and I only will encourage parts that I believe are safe for my use, or others.