Notices

No Spare.....I didn't see one.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No Spare.....I didn't see one.......

Are these run flats or do we have to pick of a can of flat flix for the storage area? No there was no mention of this by the sales guy and brochures were not available. So, how does one negotiate a flat?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I looked through the iQ at the local auto show, they said the car comes with a can of OEM tire sealant and an electronic air compressor, look through the entire car for that emergency kit.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a fix-a-flat can in the rear storage area. Or you can just call AAA if you have a membership. The iQ also comes with three years of roadside assistance.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Or you can just pick it up and carry it on your back to your local service station
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
Or you can just pick it up and carry it on your back to your local service station

Nice. LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much does that car cost again? Whatever it is or was it doesn't seem worth it to me ie not very good bang for your buck.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
I was thinking the same thing lol. Yeah my dealer said each iQ comes with a fix it kit.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by VENisME
How much does that car cost again? Whatever it is or was it doesn't seem worth it to me ie not very good bang for your buck.
Wait 4 years for the lease returns. You'll want one used. The rest of us drooling fools paid a premium to have the trendy toy mint-in-box. Everybody buying a new car does.

Worse, as a first year highly re-engineered product, we get stuck with the bulk of the non-recurring engineering. Later year models will be priced closer to production cost.

Even worse, (and now we're talking highway robbery), Toyota knows we're drooling. There's an additional "premium" we paid because of the demand. We actually paid a low premium. As the iQ becomes even more popular (maybe?) the premium will increase as the engineering costs diminish over time so the price of a new iQ will remain relatively constant for years.

Next time though: I'm buying a bone stock model. I was fool enough to buy every accessory so far at the dealer. THERE's where they make their real profits. Aftermarket forever from now on for me. Seriously, a $2000 stereo upgrade? I was wise enough to sidestep that one, but I've a buddy who got stung (bought the demo iQ off the showroom floor, got stuck with it).
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by marsrvr
Wait 4 years for the lease returns. You'll want one used. The rest of us drooling fools paid a premium to have the trendy toy mint-in-box. Everybody buying a new car does.

Worse, as a first year highly re-engineered product, we get stuck with the bulk of the non-recurring engineering. Later year models will be priced closer to production cost.

Even worse, (and now we're talking highway robbery), Toyota knows we're drooling. There's an additional "premium" we paid because of the demand. We actually paid a low premium. As the iQ becomes even more popular (maybe?) the premium will increase as the engineering costs diminish over time so the price of a new iQ will remain relatively constant for years.

Next time though: I'm buying a bone stock model. I was fool enough to buy every accessory so far at the dealer. THERE's where they make their real profits. Aftermarket forever from now on for me. Seriously, a $2000 stereo upgrade? I was wise enough to sidestep that one, but I've a buddy who got stung (bought the demo iQ off the showroom floor, got stuck with it).
I paid for the Navi upgrade and I'm extremely happy with it. I have used Eclipse aftermarket head units and like the navigation interface, this unit has the same interface. Pricey yes, but worth it in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the no spare is getting more and more common nowadays.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
the no spare is getting more and more common nowadays.
Yep even larger vehicles like mid size SUV's are not coming with a spare.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

dont use the fix-a-flat can that the car comes with unless it is an absolute emergency. you will have to replace things you wouldnt normally have to but just getting towed (use the 3 year road side assitance). if you use the can to fix your flat, you'll probably end up spending around $400 in fixing your wheel/tire. This is all why there is a 3 year road side assistance instead of just the normal 2 years that toyota/scion usually does.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brownsky
dont use the fix-a-flat can that the car comes with unless it is an absolute emergency. you will have to replace things you wouldnt normally have to but just getting towed (use the 3 year road side assitance). if you use the can to fix your flat, you'll probably end up spending around $400 in fixing your wheel/tire. This is all why there is a 3 year road side assistance instead of just the normal 2 years that toyota/scion usually does.
Excellent advice. I have AAA coverage too so I'm good to go.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by brownsky
dont use the fix-a-flat can that the car comes with unless it is an absolute emergency. you will have to replace things you wouldnt normally have to but just getting towed (use the 3 year road side assitance). if you use the can to fix your flat, you'll probably end up spending around $400 in fixing your wheel/tire. .
How can a fix-a-flat can cause that much in damage??? It's just a sealant, right?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Maybe the TPMS in the wheel?
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

Had a talk with Scion dealer yesterday. The OEM tire sealant can damage the TPMS sensor on the valve stem. $135.00 for a replacement. I thought of actually purchasing a spare steel wheel w/tire. If this spare tire has to be used in place of a flat tire. The dash low tire pressure idiot light will stay on till I have the original (flat) tire fixed. Even if the purchased spare tire/wheel comes with a TPMS sensor, the system can only monitor 4 sensors at a time and will pick up the flat tire sensor. If it's not in the vehicle at the time the "spare" is used, the dealer still has to do something to reset the system to read the new sensor. Dealer (in Texas) suggested this TPMS might become a State safety inspection item, forcing our autos to have this system. BTW, I went out that day and purchased a small 1 ton scissor jack and a tire plug kit to use with the supplied compressor. That's how I will fix any flats. No OEM slime for me.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

if i end up getting an iq this weekend, i plan on buying a roof rack to hold a full size 5th tire, even if i have to buy it from the dealership (the tire, not the roof rack).
Old 07-12-2012, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member

I park in an abandoned industrial lot at work. I picked up an old bolt in my driver's-side rear the other day. It clicked on the road and fortunately was a slow leak, slow enough to drive it to the shop and have it pulled, plugged, rebalanced and remounted ($29). A week later...I picked up another bolt, same tire, same story ($29). No bolts since, but I carry a small bike pump for slow leaks like that now. Its been enough to get me to the shop and way smaller than a spare.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM

Default The dealer doesn't even stock the tire.

We had a flat, on Sunday...
I called Scion service boost for assistance...
They asked if I had a spare...
I informed them the iQ doesn't come with a spare...
They explained they can't send any one to change the tire if I don't have a spare...then they arranged for a tow to the dealer...
The tow didn't arrive until AFTER THE DEALER CLOSED FOR THE DAY...
I had to let my boss know I would be late to work the next day...
I'm paid by the hour, late to work means smaller check on Friday...
The next morning the dealer didn't call when they opened...
I called them...
The said they would call back...
When they did, they said tire would have to be replaced and they didn't have the tire in stock...
"I'd be happy with with a used tire off any car on the showroom"...
"That's funny sir, it will be tomorrow before we have the tire...and it will be right at $200"
I hung up the phone then I sent an email to the sales manager "does SC in SCION stand for Stranded Customer?"
I found my old bus pass and got to work...
Later that day, they find a tire locally...and left message on my home answering machine...
I ride the bus back home from work...
I call them back..."Send the courtesy van and I'll pick it up now."
"We don't have anyone to come get you tonight, can we get you tomorrow?'
"That's Ok, I'll walk there"
So I walked there, and was told I looked tired...but wasn't even offered a bottle of water...
As I paid the $200 the service coordinator asked "Do you know about our roadside assistance?"
I said, "That's how I got it here, but you were closed..."
Then I drove my sweet little ride home.

I was told the rims on some old Mazda's are a close fit in terms of hole pattern and offset...I'm thinking about getting a used wheel and tire and keeping it in the left back seat (You know the seat that doesn't have room for anyone with legs). So when I call I call Scion Service Boost, I can tell them, "Yes, I have a spare, right here, wearing a seat belt."

All that said, I really do love the car, and all the service people were polite. It's just I would think Toyota/Scion dealers should stock tires for every new vehicle they sell, and why was no-one willing to step up and offer a solution before I got a manager involved? They could have stepped up and made it a much better customer experience. Instead they were happy to just do enough.

Last edited by hueybahr; 07-17-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hueybahr
We had a flat, on Sunday...
I called Scion service boost for assistance...
They asked if I had a spare...
I informed them the iQ doesn't come with a spare...
They explained they can't send any one to change the tire if I don't have a spare...then they arranged for a tow to the dealer...
The tow didn't arrive until AFTER THE DEALER CLOSED FOR THE DAY...
I had to let my boss know I would be late to work the next day...
I'm paid by the hour, late to work means smaller check on Friday...
The next morning the dealer didn't call when they opened...
I called them...
The said they would call back...
When they did, they said tire would have to be replaced and they didn't have the tire in stock...
"I'd be happy with with a used tire off any car on the showroom"...
"That's funny sir, it will be tomorrow before we have the tire...and it will be right at $200"
I hung up the phone then I sent an email to the sales manager "does SC in SCION stand for Stranded Customer?"
I found my old bus pass and got to work...
Later that day, they find a tire locally...and left message on my home answering machine...
I ride the bus back home from work...
I call them back..."Send the courtesy van and I'll pick it up now."
"We don't have anyone to come get you tonight, can we get you tomorrow?'
"That's Ok, I'll walk there"
So I walked there, and was told I looked tired...but wasn't even offered a bottle of water...
As I paid the $200 the service coordinator asked "Do you know about our roadside assistance?"
I said, "That's how I got it here, but you were closed..."
Then I drove my sweet little ride home.

I was told the rims on some old Mazda's are a close fit in terms of hole pattern and offset...I'm thinking about getting a used wheel and tire and keeping it in the left back seat (You know the seat that doesn't have room for anyone with legs). So when I call I call Scion Service Boost, I can tell them, "Yes, I have a spare, right here, wearing a seat belt."

All that said, I really do love the car, and all the service people were polite. It's just I would think Toyota/Scion dealers should stock tires for every new vehicle they sell, and why was no-one willing to step up and offer a solution before I got a manager involved? They could have stepped up and made it a much better customer experience. Instead they were happy to just do enough.

I'm confused, it cost you $200 for them to replace the tire using Scion Boost Roadside assistance?

Quick Reply: No Spare.....I didn't see one.......