Notices

No Spare.....I didn't see one.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by woof
Are these run flats or do we have to pick of a can of flat flix for the storage area? No there was no mention of this by the sales guy and brochures were not available. So, how does one negotiate a flat?

you cant negotiate with a flat. its pretty dead stubborn.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
I'm confused, it cost you $200 for them to replace the tire using Scion Boost Roadside assistance?
There are reasons mine's maintained by thugs after hours in a Target parking lot. I get WAY better horse-sense service there than at the dealership.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by surfcitylocal
I'm confused, it cost you $200 for them to replace the tire using Scion Boost Roadside assistance?
Not sure I understand your confusion...

The Scion Boost Roadside had the car towed to the dealer for free.

Once at the dealer, the tire itself (installed and balanced) cost $196.44.

The high cost is one of the "benefits" of having a low rolling resistance tires on big rims.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM

yeah like hotbox said, the no spare thing is becoming more common, i work at autozone and you would be surprised the people that don't know how to do general maintance, people now days would rather call someone the fix a flat thereselves anyways, its sad to say people r just lazy!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 AM

We plan to acquire an additional rim with tire for use as a spare for out of town travel. On our smart, we have a Curt trailer hitch receiver, into which we mount a pedestal mount with a spare front rim and tire (smart front wheels can be used in a pinch on the rear as well - the tires are a different size but not so far apart as to matter). We have a jack and a puncture kit in the back end as well.

smart tires are hard to find when you're in the middle of nowhere, and we weren't planning to spend four or five days waiting for one to be air freighted in. With a spare, you at least have a chance of reaching an area where a tire can be found.

When mounted at the back of the smart, the tire sort of looks like a Continental kit (from back in the day), vis:

I've got the hitch receiver on order, but have to have a new mount fabricated, this to match the four stud wheel used on the Scion iQ.

One other thing: with the smart, everything is so tightly designed that adding that tire and wheel behind the back axle makes a difference as to how the car rides. We don't expect as big of a "back heavy" effect on the much more robust Scion.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think of it this way ... They don't make the cars but they have to sell them.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Cool IQ tire sealant

Went kayaking here in Arizona Monday, 164 miles to start point 15 miles on washboard gravel roads, kayaked class 3/4 whiter for 5 hrs, at take out saw Lt front tire was flat, took out bottle of sealant and compressor filled to 35 psi and off we went, you could see it white liquid straying out the hole as it rolled, stopped 10 miles later to check it still holding air, drove the other 144 mile home no problem, 75 mph here in AZ, today went out and still hold air... That crazy system works great!!!! Bought replacement seal bottle and now I know I'm good ...