Notices

Scions at SEMA 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
I dont believe in building cars solely for show and not even driving them.

But obviously... those people who put a lot of time and money into those cars, do.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try the concept of buying expensive luxury and classic cars just to store in a warehouse for a collection.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just be glad that there were some fantastic Scions for SEMA. Can't say the same for the cousin Yaris side.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jasper Ash
But obviously... those people who wasted a lot of time and money into those cars, do.
fixed.

Originally Posted by jnaval
Try the concept of buying expensive luxury and classic cars just to store in a warehouse for a collection.
well thats a diff. story, classic cars INCREASE in value so i can understand that.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jasper Ash
But obviously... those people who put a lot of time and money into those cars, do.
yes...

see what people don't understand.. when people are into the SHOW world as deep as some of us are or WERE (lol).. there is just a diff. thrill.. just like racing.. your still competing, there is alot of time and energy and money invested... and hate to say it.. but the average show car has $45,000 invested with diff. mods. and thats not including hours of travel, hotels, detailing your car for hours, etc..

and sema is not a competing car show per say...
it's more for concept cars, and to show off vendor products...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can see how people would be so into the idea that they would dump so much money into it. Everyone has their own thing.

On the topic of classics.... can you not say that these are modern classics because they're one of a kind? And by never driving them they will be something amazing in 20 years.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

no...
some of the cars that go to a shows are dealer/manufactered cars... they are sold to people strictly to build.. no title, just a rolling billboard.

the only cars that will be worth anything one day will be anything thats classed in the muscle..
the new cameros, saleen mustangs, nothing in the import world.
you could buy any honda, scion, toyota off the show room floor take it home and park it for 20 years and not be worth anything...

if a car is modified like most of the cars at any show... they are worth pennies on the dollar.
the only way a car will be worth money if some famous built it/had it built or died in it..
but other than that..
paper weights
Old 11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by jnaval
Think of it like buying stocks. Those cars do nothing but increase in value, as long as the mileage isn't put on them and they're kept spotless and original. It's nothing at all like buying a cheap import, throwing a giant body kit on it and cutting the value of the car in half.

Originally Posted by game-over
no...
some of the cars that go to a shows are dealer/manufactered cars... they are sold to people strictly to build.. no title, just a rolling billboard.

the only cars that will be worth anything one day will be anything thats classed in the muscle..
the new cameros, saleen mustangs, nothing in the import world.
you could buy any honda, scion, toyota off the show room floor take it home and park it for 20 years and not be worth anything...

if a car is modified like most of the cars at any show... they are worth pennies on the dollar.
the only way a car will be worth money if some famous built it/had it built or died in it..
but other than that..
paper weights
I guarantee the S2K will be worth some money in 20 years.

And you're right on the no-title thing. Basically, people take ~$45,000 (your number), dump it into a car that can't be driven on the street, then it goes to the crusher. Could have spent that money on a classic car, let it sit/cared for it for 20 years, and you could very possibly have $450,000 sitting there.

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 01-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I guarantee the S2K will be worth some money in 20 years.

not like you think...
the honda s2000 is gonna be the 240 or a 87 corrola of today.. they hold their value alittle bit more but not much...
there is no way a s2000 will increase invalue over 20 years.

just to put this way the average s2000 is going for right around $24k used and most of them are 2004-2007 with 15,000-30,000 miles,
thats over $10,000 lost in 5-2 years.. just because it's a rear wheel drive honda and it was featured in fast and furious doesn't mean its gonna be the next supra/ 69 gto.. no way

don't get me wrong.. the s2000 will be worth money. but i don't see it holding it's value...
i think the s2000 will be another one of those cars that are gonna be a _____ to find when our kids want to rice it out..lol

And you're right on the no-title thing. Basically, people take ~$45,000 (your number), dump it into a car that can't be driven on the street, then it goes to the crusher. Could have spent that money on a classic car, let it sit/cared for it for 20 years, and you could very possibly have $450,000 sitting there.

that $450,000 number is no joke.
my father inlaw has a cuda fully restored all matching numbers with less than 20,000 miles and is looking at over $200,000

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 01-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The price is still dropping on them because they're still making new ones. The Supra did the exact same thing when they were being made. The S2K isn't going to be ridiculously high valued, but it will go back up in value.

And using a current example of a used S2K is like saying that back in the late 90's, a used Supra sold for twice the amount as a new one. Once the Supra was killed off and they became harder and harder to find, the value went up.

Originally Posted by game-over
that $450,000 number is no joke.
my father inlaw has a cuda fully restored all matching numbers with less than 20,000 miles and is looking at over $200,000
He should have got the convertible, because they sell for over $2 million. And if you don't think that $200k will be $400k in 20 years, you're sadly mistaken. In 20 years, you can cut the number of existing Cuda's in half, at least. ESPECIALLY considering the ICE will be killing off within the next 20 years.

Edit: Sorry, I read your post wrong, I thought you said that $450k was a joke, lol.

Last edited by SquallLHeart; 01-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I agree on that one!

well, as for throwing all that money into a car...I can see it if it will be used. But I'm a consumer and a utilizer of the product itself, I'm not building a car from scratch like the SEMA cars tend to be. There's a line where modification turns to alteration and these are no longer vehicles yet chassis in which vendors can display their new products upon....oh and they have way deeper pockets than the majority of us.

In short, I'm just glad Scion is still turning heads at SEMA, either way, we haven't been pushed aside for the next fad yet.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The price is still dropping on them because they're still making new ones. The Supra did the exact same thing when they were being made. The S2K isn't going to be ridiculously high valued, but it will go back up in value.

And using a current example of a used S2K is like saying that back in the late 90's, a used Supra sold for twice the amount as a new one. Once the Supra was killed off and they became harder and harder to find, the value went up.

your right i didn't think about that...
i think it would go thru the roof if they were boosted from stock...
Old 11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The S2K is a low produced, highly desired, sports car. The value will go back up. They won't anywhere near a late 60's muscle car, but it sure as hell isn't going to sink to the bottom like a '91 Camry. I mean just look at Mini Coopers. They're selling for $15-40k now...simply because it's what people want. The S2K is considered on the last true sports cars made. No frills, no electronic suspension, just a pure-bred, track made car.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I personally own 4 xB's, they will be worth tons of bacon in the future!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yea, Canadian bacon.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

blah blah blah . . . sick cars. thank you for investing your time and money for whoever built them to give me some ideas for the next mod. Im just grateful people are doing crazy mods with a 2nd gen, maybe we can get more parts on the market so we dont have to spend so much damn money on custom parts. those rides are dope!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

My wife and I had the only Scion xA at SEMA this year, I think. Thats kinda cool. The Scion Racing party was off the hook too. OPEN BAR!!!! Nuff said. lol
Old 11-19-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Your xA, I posted it up.

http://omgpancakes.wordpress.com/200...es-you-get-it/
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

1.) anyone know where i can get that camo vinyl?
2.) that vans truck does indeed have a small half pipe inside it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

lol none of those rides are dope. maybe one or two are so so

Quick Reply: Scions at SEMA 2009!