tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers

http://jalopnik.com/5633892/

Why It's Poserific: Looks okay, appeals to da youfs, and has little in the way of actual performance. the TC is a cynical marketing effort to make money on youth culture and get kids into the Toyota lifestyle. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think they have the tC partially nailed - as far as getting people into Toyota, but it only becomes a poser car when posers start buying it thinking that it is something it is not. It is not a race car. It is not a sports car. It is not a performance car. It is an econocar that is slightly sporty and can be fun to drive.... nothing more. Nothing less.

Thinking it is more than that is what makes it a poser car, IMO.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a stripped down, underpowered, wrong wheel drive G35. It's not the car's fault that it's made out to be a poser. That blame lies with a lot of the owners.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I just read that myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Hahaha, the Crossfire. Some tool in my town has one with fart cans, tinted tails, and blue HIDs. He says it's the SRT-6, but he ran a 15.1 in the 1/4 mile.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ Wow, that's almost as slow as my box.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never thought of the tC as a poser car when I purchased it. I purchased it because it thought it looked nice and knew it would be reliable since it was a Toyota.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
I just read that myself.
same here; i figured for a few others on there; and was just talking with someone the other day about prowlers and how mean they look but dont have too much pick up and go
Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 10gxiong
I never thought of the tC as a poser car when I purchased it. I purchased it because it thought it looked nice and knew it would be reliable since it was a Toyota.
I'm with you... but the trouble is (and the reason it shows up on this list) is because no everyone is doing the same thing. They buy it thinking it's a super car or something... or have outrageously high expectations of it. So they end up driving around trying to red-light-race everything on the streets.

Sadly those actions then filter down to the rest of the tC drivers and it makes us all look like douchebags... to a degree.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can honestly care less about someone's stupid list.....I still want a Prowler.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by DriverXa
I can honestly care less about someone's stupid list.....I still want a Prowler.
This.

It's a shame they're so overpriced and underpowered.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw a V8 swapped Prowler last Sunday. Well, I heard it. I didn't get a chance to see what motor it had since he was leaving.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I'm with you... but the trouble is (and the reason it shows up on this list) is because no everyone is doing the same thing. They buy it thinking it's a super car or something... or have outrageously high expectations of it. So they end up driving around trying to red-light-race everything on the streets.

Sadly those actions then filter down to the rest of the tC drivers and it makes us all look like douchebags... to a degree.

but thats exactly why I like it! I know its not fast I never thought it was, but everyone else doesn't! People who don't know much about cars look at it and are like whoa nice car! thinking its fast, when its really not!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

I think they have the tC partially nailed - as far as getting people into Toyota, but it only becomes a poser car when posers start buying it thinking that it is something it is not. It is not a race car. It is not a sports car. It is not a performance car. It is an econocar that is slightly sporty and can be fun to drive.... nothing more. Nothing less.

X2 ^^ I have to agree. I think most of us here that own tC's know exactly what it is...and what it is not. It's a decent looking 2-door coupe, Toyota quality/reliability factor, easy to modify into a DD that gets decent gas mileage and have enough "pep" to make you smile on your daily commute without costing an arm and both your legs to buy one.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
I think most of us here that own tC's know exactly what it is...and what it is not. It's a decent looking 2-door coupe, Toyota quality/reliability factor, easy to modify into a DD that gets decent gas mileage and have enough "pep" to make you smile on your daily commute without costing an arm and both your legs to buy one.
Word for word what I was thinking.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mouse
X2 ^^ I have to agree. I think most of us here that own tC's know exactly what it is...and what it is not. It's a decent looking 2-door coupe, Toyota quality/reliability factor, easy to modify into a DD that gets decent gas mileage and have enough "pep" to make you smile on your daily commute without costing an arm and both your legs to buy one.
Well put
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Before I bought my tC back in 2006, I only had so many choices. Either I buy a Civic EX, used Civic, Corolla, or the tC. I chose the tC as it out performed all my other choices.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Word for word what I was thinking.
Originally Posted by rexgo
Well put

^^ Great minds think alike... lol.

There's also a good reason why I have stuck with tC's as my DD's.... I'm an adrenaline junky... always have been. I've raced professionally (motorcycles) , skydived, etc. ... I've driven WRX STi's, EVO's, etc. I have a nature for wanting to Go Fast... and I know I'd have to set aside a separate account just for paying for speeding tickets. lol. Which is also the reason I've modified my tC but will not go F/I with it... I dont want my mod fund to have to pay for speeding tickets. lol
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rexgo
Well put
Also wanted to comment on your sig there... 107k on an 83 Supra? That's super low miles for that year. Sounds like you take it out of the garage as often as I do my tC. lol. I've got just over 9k on the odometer now... 2 1/2 years later after buying it brand new.

Oh and to stay on topic with tC's.... I've already seen accounts of tC owners hitting almost 200K miles on them with little or no mechanical issues at all. Other than reg. maintainence that is. So that's obviously a big plus in a lot of people's books of what they look for when investing in the purchase of a vehicle.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of the best looking econocar i've seen.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

What? The tC is a beast! Mine is a super bullet. Its got amazing hp. 161 to the flywheel and tq to match. I be taking on supra's R35's and vettes all day!! I no poser I da man yo! My car is totally bomb!

Quick Reply: tC Named One of the Worst Poser Cars ... by Jalopnik Readers