Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

NEW TC HOOD PAINT PROBLEMS, CAR BRA!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default NEW TC HOOD PAINT PROBLEMS, CAR BRA!!

Well i washed my car and cleaned it off the previous weekend and decided to put the car bra i bought from mcgeorgeparts since i was worried about getting paint chips from the drive to sd. well i decided to take it off last night.. and i washed the front. Well today i looked at the front bumper and the hood and i found this.. how could 2 days with the factory car bra on.. do this to my hood.. my car is only a month old... i did clay my front bumper and hood before i put the car bra on.. but i made sure it was totally dry before i put it on.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

pics dont work?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

works for me try to refresh.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow....
Old 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how could just 2 days of having the car bra on, on a brand new tc do this.. grrr.. i'm gonna try to clay it later on and hope that does something.. grr.. i'm starting to hate the tc.. i've been having problems lately i just got a big ___ dent on the side of my passenger from somebody that hit the car hard with there door and ran.. grrr...
Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That's some real odd discoloration.... is it the clay, maybe?

I had the Front End Mask on my car for a week and then took it off..... no problem whatsoever.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually...it looks like something was there. I know if you put balogna on a car...the paint will look just like that....except perfect circles Well, so I heard

Is it possible some haters put something under the bra? Did you see or smell anything on the bra when you took it off?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope nothing on the bra i looked inside the bra and its perfectly white.. but i have to double check when i get home.. do guys think its permanent? and how could it happen in a two day period? it wasn't even really sunny this weekend in sd.. it was rainy and cloudy the whole time.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jay_jay_n
nope nothing on the bra i looked inside the bra and its perfectly white.. but i have to double check when i get home.. do guys think its permanent? and how could it happen in a two day period? it wasn't even really sunny this weekend in sd.. it was rainy and cloudy the whole time.
It really depends on what it was that caused it...wait about 10 minutes and I'll have my brother look at the pics. He owns a body shop here in St. Louis. I'll be right back.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

That is definately one of the stranger things I've seen happen... There must have been something on the body paint itself, or something on the underside of the bra to cause the discoloration to occur so quickly, possibly a solvent or such?

I'd definately have either the dealer, or a body shop look at it to see if they can determine if it's permanent or not.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK....here is the deal. I was explaining what is happening and he finished the story before I even got to it. He said the car paint was not fully cured and you should not have clay bar'd it or put the bra on yet. New car paint should be left alone for several months as they cure.

He said right now, the best thing to do is get some heat to it. For about $100, a body shop should be able to get it to flash back with heat.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, he's my bro but sometimes he is so dang sarcastic.

I said he clay bared it before he put the bra on.

bro: Why did he do that?

me: Well, to make sure it was clean.

bro: That's what soap and water is for

me: Well, it shouldn't have hurt anything...right?

bro: People need to understand to leave their factory paint alone for at least 2 months...no wax, no bra....just soap and water.

me: well, maybe if the friggin dealers would tell everyone.

bro: Then I wouldn't get all the extra business from dumb a$$es like you.

me: Hey, wasn't you the one that waxed your car so much the paint came off?

bro: Dude, that was 25 years ago....let it go.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what! i've heard plenty of people claying there car after they got it.. i thought its because the car has already been cured from the dealer compared to a new paint job. and if thats so why did the rest of my front bumper not have the same marks when i clayed it?

so it won't be covered under dealer warranty? if not i think i'm better off getting a $250 cf hood then.. grrr... this sucks...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jay_jay_n
what! i've heard plenty of people claying there car after they got it.. i thought its because the car has already been cured from the dealer compared to a new paint job. and if thats so why did the rest of my front bumper not have the same marks when i clayed it?

so it won't be covered under dealer warranty? if not i think i'm better off getting a $250 cf hood then.. grrr... this sucks...
He didn't think it was the clay bar, he was just commenting how people mess with the factory paint so soon after purchasing them. He thinks it was the paint and/or clear coat itself not fully cured. With the bra on, any water trapped under it and the paint not fully cured will cause that. He said it needs to breath.

I would take it to the dealer and ask what's up.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK NEVER MIND LOL.. i feel stupid i have no clue what happend but the car has been sitting in the sun outside and omg i'm happy

it looks like its fine now.. but the thing i don't understand where the mark came from and i did try to wipe it off and feel for the mark and it did not feel any different when the mark was there.. well i still want to figure out why this happened to make sure it doesn't happen again or become permanent..

and so i shouldn't clay the whole car until months pass?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sun provided the heat to clear it up....sweet

The clay bar is to remove contaminents stuck into and onto the clear coat. On a new car, this shouldn't be an issue yet. Soap and water should bring it back to new. Oh, and no bra, especially if it's going to rain and get water stuck under it.

He said the paint and clear coat need to breath until fully cured...which usually takes a few months. He also recommends not waxing it until after this time as well. He found out 25 years ago you can actually wax the paint off.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I've seen this before too. In the case I saw, water got under some painters tape that was on the paint, and sat for a few hours. It was enough to discolor it, like yours did, but a couple days later, the marks went away. And in my case, we weren't talking new paint.

I guess if you notice it raining, and you have your carbra on.. I'd check right away to make sure you don't have spots again.

Glad to see it cleared up for you.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Probably condensation.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i remember reading somewhere that using a bra sometimes causes the paint to haze for a bit--i think it was on this site somewhere..you may want to try a search. Just like what happened to you, it goes away in a bit...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Wow.... Add this to things I learned today.

Quick Reply: NEW TC HOOD PAINT PROBLEMS, CAR BRA!!