Notices

scion tc 2006 tires. good cheap ones?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default scion tc 2006 tires. good cheap ones?

any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:03 PM

I found some 225 45/17 kuhmo exsta for 85 a piece at tirerack.com
they usually ship to a dealer and tell you an estimate as to cost.
if you're arouND a discount tire though I'd go through them. The prices are cheaper. Got my set with extended warranty for 330. Totally happy with them
Old 07-25-2015, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
any suggestions?
Are you looking for tires for the original 17" wheels or for aftermarket wheels? What size tire?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alxm
Are you looking for tires for the original 17" wheels or for aftermarket wheels? What size tire?
original stock wheels for 2006 tc

i found these at costco. seems like a good deal with 7 year warranty.

Tires: Shop for Car, SUV & Truck Tires - Costco

$600 total installed through costco with $70 discount. not looking for performance, just long lasting and reliable.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

original stock wheels for 2006 tc

i found these at costco. seems like a good deal with 7 year warranty.

Tires: Shop for Car, SUV & Truck Tires - Costco

$600 total installed through costco with $70 discount. not looking for performance, just long lasting and reliable.
That's about average price. Looks like you're looking then for well known name brand cheap tires. When I hear cheap tires I default to lesser known generic brands such as Saffiro, Achilles or Federal. Which are very cheap but still good quality for the price. I have experience with all 3 brands and they have served me well.

I only see a 5 year warranty on the link you provided. Make sure you read the fine print. Tire warranties are usually Pro-rate warranties. Meaning you still have to pay a certain amount on a replacement tire. Depending on how much usable tread is left on the tire being replaced. So the more used up a tire is when it fails. The more of a percentage you have to pay for the new tire to replace it. Sometimes they may give you a certain number of years for a free replacement. Before the Pro-rate warranty kicks in so always read the warranty specifics.

My go to tire chain is American Tire Depot. Honest guys and great low prices. They carry generic and name brand tires. And offer alot of free services with a purchase of tires. I have included a link to them below. Input the tire size or by vehicle. They have Hankook and Falken with 45,000 and 60,000 mile warranties respectively installed at $460. Those are two well known brands that are cheap and still great quality.

American Tire Depot | Lowest Priced, Discount Tire Store
Old 07-27-2015, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alxm
That's about average price. Looks like you're looking then for well known name brand cheap tires. When I hear cheap tires I default to lesser known generic brands such as Saffiro, Achilles or Federal. Which are very cheap but still good quality for the price. I have experience with all 3 brands and they have served me well.

I only see a 5 year warranty on the link you provided. Make sure you read the fine print. Tire warranties are usually Pro-rate warranties. Meaning you still have to pay a certain amount on a replacement tire. Depending on how much usable tread is left on the tire being replaced. So the more used up a tire is when it fails. The more of a percentage you have to pay for the new tire to replace it. Sometimes they may give you a certain number of years for a free replacement. Before the Pro-rate warranty kicks in so always read the warranty specifics.

My go to tire chain is American Tire Depot. Honest guys and great low prices. They carry generic and name brand tires. And offer alot of free services with a purchase of tires. I have included a link to them below. Input the tire size or by vehicle. They have Hankook and Falken with 45,000 and 60,000 mile warranties respectively installed at $460. Those are two well known brands that are cheap and still great quality.

American Tire Depot | Lowest Priced, Discount Tire Store
wow thanks. i think youve changed my mind. this is what it says on those tires i was thinking about buying at costco.

"* Replacement tires will be provided in the form of credit toward purchase, determined by remaining tread analysis."

so there im guessing you were right, ill get some prorated credit towards replacement tires. also, ive read a lot of reviews on those tires and theyre mostly negative. its strange though because i trust costco. everything they sell is pretty much gold.

i clicked on link you provided and i think i might get those falken athenis pt722 tires with 60k warranty for $87 each. comes out to $440 total with $20 off coupon. includes tire rotation every 5k miles. fine print there though is replacement tires after 36 months or until 3/32 of tread.

anyhow, after reading their tire service agreement i think im sold. im read some reviews about it before i make my decision because ive never heard of american tire depot.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thanks. i think youve changed my mind. this is what it says on those tires i was thinking about buying at costco.

"* Replacement tires will be provided in the form of credit toward purchase, determined by remaining tread analysis."

so there im guessing you were right, ill get some prorated credit towards replacement tires. also, ive read a lot of reviews on those tires and theyre mostly negative. its strange though because i trust costco. everything they sell is pretty much gold.

i clicked on link you provided and i think i might get those falken athenis pt722 tires with 60k warranty for $87 each. comes out to $440 total with $20 off coupon. includes tire rotation every 5k miles. fine print there though is replacement tires after 36 months or until 3/32 of tread.

anyhow, after reading their tire service agreement i think im sold. im read some reviews about it before i make my decision because ive never heard of american tire depot.
No worries. And yep most tire warranties are usually pro-rate. Car battery warranties years ago used to be pro-rate warranty only as well. Now they will give you 1-3 year free replacement and then the pro-rate kicks in.

I've been going to American Tire Depot for years. They are honest and won't recommend work you don't need. And their prices are great. Just keep an eye on the mechanic working on your car. Not that they are being dishonest. But sometimes they are young guys working on your car and they horse around with each other. And can forget to do something you asked them to do.

Last time I went for an oil change and asked that they rotate my tires. Which is free with the oil change. I went out to check close to the car being done and asked about the rotation. And the kid said oops and apologized. They had been laughing alot and it was an honest oversight. So he rotated them right away. That was the only time something like that has happened. And I have been to many of their locations in Los Angeles.

So I'd say give them a shot. The Falken's are good tires. And free tire rotations!