Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto Tranny Build Up Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Auto Tranny Build Up Guide

For those who bought an auto tC like I did, you might be interested in transmission upgrades. Reason? So you don't fry your transmission when you go turbo, nitrous, or supercharged. Hell.... even all motor.

First off.... easiest and cheapest mod.

-Transmission oil cooler. Lowers temp of the oil. not much to explain.
www.bmracing.com
www.trdusa.com (they don't make one for the tc but i think it can be fitted.)
hayden (don't know the website off the top of my head.)

ScionFred listed some stuff on page 9 of this thread. He does have a xB2 though. So keep in mind that it will be a little different than ours.

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I used the supplied brackets (painted black) to mount the cooler in front of the AC condensor. I used one existing threaded hole and drilled a second. I used the included foam tape to separate the unsecured bottom from the condensor. I'm not happy with it and plan to change it at some point but it works okay for now.

I screwed up the first time by mounting it with the inlet/outlet facing down then fixed it by mounting it sideways so the ATF goes in the bottom and out the top. There was no mention in the instructions but I've learned that it's important to mount "cold fluid bypass" style coolers either sideways with inlet bottom and outlet top or inlet/outlet both on top. With the inlet/outlet on the bottom the ATF can bypass most of the cooler through the cold fluid bypass orifices.

Sorry I don't have any pics.
Fortunately, I found a pic of a oil cooler installed on a tC. It is JL56TC from scikotics.

Next, is Valve body work. This controls the many aspects of how the tranny shifts. For instance, some domestics use a manual tranny valve body and slap it on a auto tranny. Result = something similar to a sequential. But that's not what we're aiming for. You can NOT do this on an import. (not that I know of at least.)

We're aiming for making the valve body stronger.
-http://www.levelten.com/
-ZPI (don't know the website. If someone can fill me in that'd be great)

Additional parts....use the same website, Level ten performance, as listed above.
-PTS kit
-Level ten hydrosystem
-torque converter
-Super pump

And there you have it. Probably the only sources (at least I could find when building my accord) for auto tranny builod ups. My 91 cb7 (accord) has the pts kit and the level ten torque converter. Of course I'm not running massive performance mods on my accord. Just cam, i/h/e, and swapped intake manifold.

Additional Info from ScionFred

I would just like to add that I've achieved very favorable results by replacing the Toyota WS ATF (Watered-down ____e) with Mobil One syn ATF. IPT uses Amsoil syn ATF (normal viscosity) in all their tranny builds and IMO Toyota's use of low-viscosity WS ATF is exclusively for improved fuel economy and reduced emmisions. My tranny not only shifts much firmer with M1, the torque convertor also locks up ~500rpm sooner.
I replaced the filter and did a complete ATF exchange by pumping the WS out the cooler return line while refilling with M1. I already had a B&M cooler installed. The switch to M1 exceeded my expectations.

This was something that I had not considered. Completely forgot about the ATF since my accord has long been using mobil 1. Thank you for the additional information.

Last edited by wlfpck; 07-09-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added more info from ScionFred and pic of oil cooler
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has been covered a couple times but thanks. oh and ZPI is outta business...so yeah.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah. well I did a search and checked the stickies. I didn't see anything. So I wrote up this guide. Didn't know ZPI went out of buisness. That's a shame.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont forget about http://www.ipttrans.com/ they also do valve body upgrades for the tc!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck
ah. well I did a search and checked the stickies. I didn't see anything. So I wrote up this guide. Didn't know ZPI went out of buisness. That's a shame.

WHAT?! When did ZPI go under? This is the first I've heard
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

.... a WHILE ago...
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone alwys talks about valve body upgrades all the time. I would like to get one but no one has acually gotten one and really gave any feedback. I only remember seaching one time and some guy said that he got a valve body upgrade from ZPI and he said he couldnt even really feel the difference. So does anyone have any feedback at all? Is it worth it for the price? The difference it makes while driving? Any kind of feedback would be great to hear!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend had his 97 accord's valve body redone when he swapped a h22 in.

It shifts SO much cleaner. It's like it's not even a slushbox anymore. it was pretty nice. I really liked it. He got his done from Level ten. They know their stuff pretty well.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

i have a valve body in my tc and some other things but when i just did the valve body i gained almost a sec in the 1/4 and yes i do feel a diff in letting it shift or just shifting it myself
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM
SL Member

hey 1slowtc where did you get yours done? and how much was it?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

got the parts from level ten did the build myself did everything from about a 1000 if you wait it i can see if i can find the list of everything then when you have the parts i can tell you a step by step process i do all my work myself.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

waiting for more responses.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since it was $1000 did you have more than just a valve body upgrade? Did you have more cluchs installed or something??
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

yes i installed diff clutches
Old 02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1slowtc
got the parts from level ten did the build myself did everything from about a 1000 if you wait it i can see if i can find the list of everything then when you have the parts i can tell you a step by step process i do all my work myself.
So basically you opened up the differential casing and replaced all/some of the clutch packs ie. Raybestos blue all by yourself + the internal springs for the valve body?? Wow, that's frickin amazing man

I was contemplating of sending my valve body to IPT for their mod... and reworked torque converter. But from the your post, I would reconsider and perhaps follow your style.

Did you require the U241E service manual to redo the box? I have the manual actually and with your guidance on the proper parts to get.... I think we auto guys can save some $$ and do it on our own, less the torque converter that is.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could an average person install the shift kit or does the valve body need to be sent out?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

if you get a valve body that is done yes i think that anyone can do it just when you drop the valve body take note to the springs that are going to fall out....sometimes they will stay and some times they fall... (sleeper) yes i did get a manual it isn't that hard to to eveyone thinks autos are so dam hard but if you clean a table take it apart and lay everything out take out the old and put in the new parts where they are laying on the table and start your reassably just in the rev order.. just so yous no i am a tech by trade so this isn't that hard for me.. but with the right tools you can do anything. as for saving $$ do it yourself . the are poeple here to help..... as for the torgue converter i have a guy here in delaware working on that for me i still have the stock converter knock on the wood i haven't had it fall yet..
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you get a valve body that is done yes i think that anyone can do it just when you drop the valve body take note to the springs that are going to fall out....sometimes they will stay and some times they fall... (sleeper) yes i did get a manual it isn't that hard to to eveyone thinks autos are so dam hard but if you clean a table take it apart and lay everything out take out the old and put in the new parts where they are laying on the table and start your reassably just in the rev order.. just so yous no i am a tech by trade so this isn't that hard for me.. but with the right tools you can do anything. as for saving $$ do it yourself . the are poeple here to help..... as for the torgue converter i have a guy here in delaware working on that for me i still have the stock converter knock on the wood i haven't had it fall yet..
Ya think you could compile a listing of all the internal clutches and whatnot that is needed to rebuild/strengthen our auto box?? That would be awesome and much appreciated

I'm feelin inspired right now..... Yeah, I'm quite technically inclined and since I have the service manual to guide me along, this should be doable, just have to devote a couple of days to do it right

Thanks 1slowtc if you could help us auto guys out on this mod phase.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

give me a week to get everything together my harddrive failed last week still trin to recover everything.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

give me a week to get everything together my harddrive failed last week still trin to recover everything.
Thanks man...... mod made possible by "1-bro-who-ain't-slowtc"

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Build Up Guide