Go Back   Scionlife.com » Scion tC First Gen » Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge » Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Happy Birthday!

Question bad oil drain plug?

Hi... new member. 08 tC, about 75K miles. Always get oil changes at the dealer (Cobb County Toyota in Kennesaw, GA) and when I went there for an oil change last week they told me if they took the drain plug out they wouldn't be able to get it back in and it would cost $375 to fix.

I asked a friend about it and he said they probably want to replace the oil pan and gasket -- but they didn't tell me what parts they needed to replace (I can ask again later). But he also said if the oil drain plug is bad and the dealer is the only ones who have changed the oil, they are ones who messed it up by tightening the bolt too much.

I searched and couldn't find any other threads with people reporting the same problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Or is the dealer trying to rip me off?

My friend took a picture of the oil pan and plug and it looks fine, no evidence of damage or leaking.

Click the image to open in full size.
flipper_atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Jon
Administrator
Premium Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Icebergg Slimm
Send a message via AIM to Jon

Sounds like bs. Change it yourself and save money and the trouble of going to the stealership.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, BS.
They might have cross threaded the bolt, but thatís on their heads and they should pay for it. I would ask exactly whatís wrong and why you need a new set up.
Lex-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
5 Year Member
SL Member

plain old BS..........take 15 mins to do youself

Powered by Dezod S1 Turbo Kit w/dumptube ....Teins H Springs...TWM Stage 2 SS w/Cage bushings and Tranny Bushings...Megans Racing Exhaust....6k Hids..%20 Windows tint....APT Fog lights......Blox Counterweight shift ****....P1 Side Skirts.......Mobile 1 motor oil..Eneos Racing Tranny Oil...OBX Racing pedals....ACT Street clutch w/heavy Duty pressure plate...Compeitition Clutch 12lb Flywheel..General HP Tires.......Walbro 255 Fuel pump...
my06tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Happy Birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex-M View Post
Yep, BS.
They might have cross threaded the bolt, but thatís on their heads and they should pay for it. I would ask exactly whatís wrong and why you need a new set up.
Thanks, will go back to the same dealer and get more specifics. If I don't like it will report to Toyota consumer affairs and go somewhere else for the oil change.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok.. maybe it's too early in the morning.. but.. if it was stripped, how would they ever get the bolt to tighten against the drain plug washer? and why isn't it leaking? plus.. the bolt if the threads are gone, should be very loose. definitely sounds like a scam, wow.. just lies everywhere you turn lately! Definitely report them and have someone else check it out.
sciontc_mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might just be barely holding on if they cross threaded it on purpose to get it to hold ( once they realized they screwed up the pan) If this is the case then the next time you pull the plug out would be the last, so be prepared.......
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
Happy Birthday!

I took it back to the same dealer for an oil change and played dumb. They changed the oil and didn't say anything about the drain plug. So I guess it was just an overzealous oil change tech the first time -- do they get compensated for finding more problems? On the second visit they noticed the battery was about to die, needs rear brakes, and tires....
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
SL Member

Yes. All dealerships or auto repair shops look for stuff that need to be replaces according to the mileage etc..... That's how they up sell and stay in business. Just say no unless you are not mechanically inclined to do it yourself.
dsimp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2008, bad, change, drain, hex, kennesaw, location, oil, oilplug, plug, scion, tc, toyota, tv, xb