Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bluetooth OBDII Reader

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

Default Bluetooth OBDII Reader

I've been doing some research lately on the cheap Bluetooth OBDII readers you can get on ebay or amazon that connects with your phone and uses an app to read data. Has anyone every used one of these on a tc? If so, what kind of data can you read? I know it will read codes, but supposedly, on "supported" cars, it will read all sorts of data. But i cant seem to find a list of "compatible" cars....
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pbullis
I've been doing some research lately on the cheap Bluetooth OBDII readers you can get on ebay or amazon that connects with your phone and uses an app to read data. Has anyone every used one of these on a tc? If so, what kind of data can you read? I know it will read codes, but supposedly, on "supported" cars, it will read all sorts of data. But i cant seem to find a list of "compatible" cars....
I use the app called "Torque" (5$ Pro version) and a Bluetooth reader from amazon that i picked up for 10 or 12 bucks I think, it was cheap. My experience has been so so, I have used it on tC, tacoma, and olds alero. The app says it can monitor all sorts of stuff real time, I'm not gonna list them you can go to their website and do some research like I did. What I will say is that the things that are monitored use the sensors in the vehicle that are mapped to the ECU. The problem I have found is that they don't really work all that well, they are laggy and to me don't seem like they read accurately. At this point I use it solely for diagnosing check engine codes for myself and my friends. This thing has paid for itself 10 times over in the gas I saved going to autozone every time I wanted a code read. Plus I can clear codes without unhooking the battery and losing my tagline on my head unit. "I run from cops"
Old 11-01-2014, 04:29 AM

^ i have the same app on my Android phone and a cheap reading from amazon and i like it alot.