Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

burning oil? or am I paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
sotty it took me so long to get back to you. all the pcv valve does us vent posotive crank case preassure. you wouldn't notice anything afaik. i'm getting large blow by on a stock car atm. i thought my old turbo blew my rings but a leak down test and it wasnt the rings paul with dezod suggested the pcv valve to me i just havent looked in to it yet.
I would totally go with this Pual at dezod knows his stuff.... Check the PCV Pz post back if it doesn't work....
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boosted Scion
I would totally go with this Pual at dezod knows his stuff.... Check the PCV Pz post back if it doesn't work....
I stopped at an autozone yesterday to pick up a pcv and a can of seafoam. I changed out the pcv and have been monitoring oil as much as possible. I hadn't change my pcv valve with 112k on the car. The only thing i noticed with the old one was it had a nasty layer of sludge on it, but seemed to be in working order. Im running seafoam in the oil to clean things up and changing oil today. I'll keep you guys posted! 390miles and the gas light just came on!

Last edited by typerhedlights; 06-07-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: early morning typo
Old 06-08-2011, 07:55 AM
SL Member

Thanks man! :D
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll just chime in here, I'm seeing similar issues they started at about 60K on my 07. How many folks here have swapped out their OEM crank pulley?
Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I have
Old 06-09-2011, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SilverCFtC
I'll just chime in here, I'm seeing similar issues they started at about 60K on my 07. How many folks here have swapped out their OEM crank pulley?
Crank pulley? How can that affect oil consumption?
Update everybody: seafoamed engine both through intake and crank case. Just changed oil from mobil 1 to pennzoil platinum. I have never seen my oil that dirty coming out so that's good results from the seafoaming. Pcv really no change so far. I'll keep you updated!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen this oil consumption problem happen a lot on the 2azfe's I've replaced 3 shortblocks myself on the 07 camrys with low mileage, I'm really shocked that toyota hasn't created a tsb on this issue yet as its becoming to be a persistant issue it seems now
Old 06-11-2011, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RyanstC
I've seen this oil consumption problem happen a lot on the 2azfe's I've replaced 3 shortblocks myself on the 07 camrys with low mileage, I'm really shocked that toyota hasn't created a tsb on this issue yet as its becoming to be a persistant issue it seems now
how do we go about rallying the troops and sticking it toyota?

i found this complaint on consumercomplaints.com

"I had my oil changed every 5,000 miles
after oil Change at 27,000 miles went to Amrillo Texas, didn't think anything of it to check oil before getting on the road, drove to Texas, then before we left went to check the oil in the car, there was hardly any ont the dipstick, had to add oil to car, called Toyota dealer in Kansas to see what we could do since we were in Texas, in the middle of nowhere, had to drive one hour to get a toyota dealer to look at it and tell us what was wrong. They notated on the recepet and told us on the last oil change the it looked like the oil was very old and dark, and low.... was 2,000 miles left before needing oil change, they said it looked like they didn't put oil back in the car from the last oil change.

Now I drove it back to Kansas took it a week later to change the oil and they put my car on survalance at 1,000 miles. Every thing checked out ok, so they said. Well Now I checked my oil again, after that closer to time to get Oil change and My car again doesn't have much oil on the dipstick and very low, dark. and I told my husband to take it back to same dealer for the problem and he took it to a diffrent Toyota dealer and it has again noted and now this dealer ship put my car on 2,000 mile survalance. NOW I am Frustrated, cause no one can tell me what is the problem! I am back to where I was in the first place! ! ! !
Car is Burning oil and I been taking Pictures of the dipstick. NOT sure what else to do! anyone can help let me know, or has had the same problem"

??

Last edited by typerhedlights; 06-11-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: edc lineup madness
Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It weird you are all having his issue. I have a 1 1/2yr old 2010 with 27k miles and I haven't had the oil issue, I've use royal purple 5w20 since the 2nd oil change when the retarded worker at the dealer said scions didn't get 2 complimentary oil changes and wanted to charge me $85. The biggest issue I had was that apparently my AC came broken, my car would never get cool and I live in vegas I need it. Took it in and they said a few parts were broken and was leaking so they fixed it. 4 months ago I washed my car and my passenger side headlight got filled with water. When I took it in the asked what I did to break it, told them I didn't do anything and they replaced it. 2 months ago my driver seat stopped locking, it kept folding and rolling. They said I broke it cuz they found 3 pennies in the track and it was $86 to fix it cuz it wasn't a manufacture defect. Seems toyota keeps f**kin us over with these cars

Last edited by c500129; 06-11-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by typerhedlights
Crank pulley? How can that affect oil consumption?
The pulley can affect the front seal on the crankshaft. From what people are saying the issue is ot limited to pulley swaped engines however.

-Sean
Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SilverCFtC
The pulley can affect the front seal on the crankshaft. From what people are saying the issue is ot limited to pulley swaped engines however.

-Sean
update: Pennzoil Platinum FTW i highly recommend this stuff. I'm using 5w20 and it seems to not be burning oil as fast or if at all. I'm checking the dipstick frequently being as paranoid as i am. I also recommend running the sea foam through the intake and in the oil (through the crankcase) for about 50 miles. Then change over to pennzoil platinum and see if you get the same results as i did! My oil has never been cleaner! I'm amazed honestly
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did my 55k oil change yesterday and 2 quarts of oil was gone. I'm running 5w20 Royal Purple and tried Amsoil for 10k but still went through 1.5 quarts every 5k miles. Also put in brand new PCV valve so we'll see if it does any good.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by typerhedlights
update: Pennzoil Platinum FTW i highly recommend this stuff. I'm using 5w20 and it seems to not be burning oil as fast or if at all. I'm checking the dipstick frequently being as paranoid as i am. I also recommend running the sea foam through the intake and in the oil (through the crankcase) for about 50 miles. Then change over to pennzoil platinum and see if you get the same results as i did! My oil has never been cleaner! I'm amazed honestly
Well F bomb to everything i said previously. Just in that short amount of time from my last post until now my oil level has dropped to the low level mark. Granted i did travel to vegas and back it still shouldnt drop that low, that fast. I guess i just have to accept the fact that every 500 miles i have to add a 1qt of oil. Pathetic.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update for all you oil burners out there. I have been trying multiple different oils each change and have found 4 qts of 10w30 high mileage with one bottle of marvel mystery oil has slowed the oil consumption greatly. I was below the low level mark before the maintenance light would come on usually. I drive a lot. About 400 miles a week so this was annoying. But it is still at the full mark 1k miles later. I still get great gas mileage so no change has been felt performance wise.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Did anyone even think to look in there owners manual...... Page 152-53 might help you guys. It states that more oil is consumed at high speed driving and frequent accel and decel. It also states that it may burn up to 1.1q every 600 miles. Hope this helps, we all have to remember it's an engine, it's going to burn oil, it's the natural process of a combustion engine.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is the 1g section but i have a 2g with 26,000 miles on it and dont have this problem... yet. but one thing ive noticed is toyota over fills my oil every time i get it changed so i was just wondering if that could possibly help cause the problems most of you are experiencing. my other 2 toyotas never once burned oil on me and they were 200,000 mile vehicles, and i would sometimes go 10,000 before changing my oil (granted that was only about 2 months of driving), and it still wasn't even black. i might just be the freak occurance but i just figured id add my 2 cents since the topic caught my eye.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dark_shadow
Did anyone even think to look in there owners manual...... Page 152-53 might help you guys. It states that more oil is consumed at high speed driving and frequent accel and decel. It also states that it may burn up to 1.1q every 600 miles. Hope this helps, we all have to remember it's an engine, it's going to burn oil, it's the natural process of a combustion engine.
Luckily you brought up a point that had been pointed out months ago since this thread is fairly old.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
I know this is the 1g section but i have a 2g with 26,000 miles on it and dont have this problem... yet. but one thing ive noticed is toyota over fills my oil every time i get it changed so i was just wondering if that could possibly help cause the problems most of you are experiencing. my other 2 toyotas never once burned oil on me and they were 200,000 mile vehicles, and i would sometimes go 10,000 before changing my oil (granted that was only about 2 months of driving), and it still wasn't even black. i might just be the freak occurance but i just figured id add my 2 cents since the topic caught my eye.
Not sure why I am bothering to comment but..on my tC I pretty my always changed the oil myself to the proper level..never over filled it and it still did it. Over filling the oil usually will just burn off the excess..it doesn't make the car burn off oil anymore dramatically then that..
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Scion XB burning oil

We own a 2008 Scion XB, and it started to burn oil. At first, we thought there was a leak or something, but no visible leaks on the floor. We took it in for an oil change, and then drove it for about 3,000 miles, checked the dipstick, and BAM… there was no more oil in the engine! WTF?! We bought this car brand new. I took it back to Scion because they had another recall on the coils, and asked them to take a look. They said it was burning oil, and that I might have to change the small block. WTF?! A 3 year old car and I need a new engine already? That was ridiculous! I did some research, and found someone posting that in several SCION AND TOYOTA models with the 2.4-liter 4-cylinderengine may be using too much oil. In T.S.B.’s SB002411 and SB009411 issued on Aug. 11, the companies said the problem was traced to the piston assembly. Replacing the pistons and rings should solve the problem. Affected models are the 2007-9 Scion tCs and the 2008-9 Scion xB as well as these Toyotas: 2006-8 RAV4, 2007-8 Solara, 2007-9 Camry, 2007-11 Camry Hybrid, 2009 Corolla and 2009 Matrix. After bringing this to the dealership’s and corporate’s attention, they agreed to pay for the parts, but not the labor. My problem with this is, if you know you have a piston assembly, be responsible and put out a recall to fix the issue. Growing up, Toyota was synonymous with quality. With this lack of action, the quality Toyota now puts out is very questionable. If I'm going to be getting crappy products that I thought were superior in quality, then I might as well buy American. I owned a 96 Ford Ranger, and put 250,000+ miles on it before I had to get rid of it. AND, the only reason I got rid of it was because someone rear-ended me. The insurance company totaled it because the cost of repair was worth more than the cost of the car. BUY FORD… great cars!
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every car maker will have their + and -, you may have been a few of those affected by this particular TSB, but don't be bashing them in. You will see on many forums, as well as real life, that Toyota's Camry and Corolla vehicles run truly strong.

Looks like you are some sort of spammer, instead of coming on here to re-iterate a known issue in a TC section instead of the XB2 section, you probably could go and trade in your XB2 for a Ford then.

Remember, Ford had some cars burn up in flames! ;) - Then you have some Toyota vehicles with failing brakes and stuck pedals. Soo..... How would you like to die? lol j/k

Quick Reply: burning oil? or am I paranoid?