Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Scion tC Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so based on my readings I'm either going to get Injen CAI or K&N Typhoon CAI. Can anyone tell me which of these will give me more HP increase?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Get the fujita!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Injen will net the most HP gain. It's been the clear winner in most HP results. K&N is one of the worst performers despite it's quality and reputation. If you're installing yourself, AEM and TRD will be a good deal easier due to the smaller diameter piping used, and they yield HP gains almost the same as Injen, perhaps minus 2HP... an amount that won't make a real difference, regardless. Plus AEM and TRD probably have better warranties. AEM is CARB exemption pending if that's an issue for you. I would go with AEM or Injen if I were you, based off your question... just depends on if you want an easier install or the absolute most HP gain, albeit only ~1-2HP over AEM/TRD.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well there are several install guides on here hopefully making for an easier install if i get the Injen. thanks for you help though
Old 05-29-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i thought the trd was CARB approved?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wut about weapon r i have heard the best things from them
Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

i was installing my injen intake today and i dunno how dumb i am but i couldn't get the dang tube to go into the fender... i had the wheel off but i didn't want to remove the bumper cuz i was in my driveway.... any ideas or a helping hand to make it a "Cold Air" thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2006, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think that most people say that it is easier to remove the bumb dont know much but i was reading them i dont like that idea much either bro
Old 05-31-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is why I would reccomend AEM or TRD. They use smaller diameter piping for an easier install and still provide a neglegible difference in HP compared to Injen. You need to take off the bumper for your Injen install though It's just alot of screws really... not that bad.

Oh, and none of the intakes are "CARB Approved" to my knowledge. The best you'll do is possibly CARB Exemption from AEM's and likely TRD's intakes.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

but in clearwater they dont car so i dont care ima go with weapon r as soon as i can find a good price its just short ram so i dont have to remove bumb thats how i role lol
Old 05-31-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Beware of Weapon R... it was popular in the beginning because it was the sole intake that offered decent gains, however their product quality has been questioned and criticized several times (just search). I've heard of the possibility of internal components of their intake design becoming loose and even getting sucked into the manifold. Just a precautionary advisement... you make the decision.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jaski21
This is why I would reccomend AEM or TRD. They use smaller diameter piping for an easier install and still provide a neglegible difference in HP compared to Injen. You need to take off the bumper for your Injen install though It's just alot of screws really... not that bad.

Oh, and none of the intakes are "CARB Approved" to my knowledge. The best you'll do is possibly CARB Exemption from AEM's and likely TRD's intakes.
thats what i meant. carb exempt. thanks!
Old 05-31-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anyone have some numbers for an ARC induction box? I read some losses through the butt dyno after switching from injen CAI to ARC but im not sure how much.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

really when i do the search i get 22 pages on weapon r and i look thro the first like 2 then i start to look somewere else lol add lol
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of comparison in HP differences are there in AEM and Injen?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

um read the thread man, injen is +2 on TRD, does it rly matter?!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Weapon-R intakes.

I know this has nothing to do with tC intakes... but Im offering my opinion on Weapon-R intakes... I installed a short intake on my GF's 94 Celica.. and the movement of the engine caused the bracket to break.. and upon inspecting the filter itself.. the plastic housing had a ka-jillion tiny cracks in it.. like the plastic was deteriorating. So now my opinion on Weapon-R is like its pretty much buying a cheap ___ intake from APC.
tCheesy

you guys can hang me or castrate me for posting in the wrong place if I did.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by heyitznosaj
Anyone have some numbers for an ARC induction box? I read some losses through the butt dyno after switching from injen CAI to ARC but im not sure how much.

HCI dynoed it at 3hp and 5 ft lbs i believe
Old 07-02-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've been looking into the Injen CAI but i have noticed that it does not have a bypass valve. I have heard the AEM bypass will work but i question that seeing as how the piping is a different size. Also (and this might be showing my ignorance) but i've noticed on a couple of sites that the injen is made for a 5-spd, i have an auto so will this make a difference? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot or something. I read this forum regularly but i have never posted to a forum before...don't really know the procedure.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AndrewGene
I've been looking into the Injen CAI but i have noticed that it does not have a bypass valve. I have heard the AEM bypass will work but i question that seeing as how the piping is a different size. Also (and this might be showing my ignorance) but i've noticed on a couple of sites that the injen is made for a 5-spd, i have an auto so will this make a difference? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot or something. I read this forum regularly but i have never posted to a forum before...don't really know the procedure.

I have an auto tc and i have the injen cai and there isnt any problem with it, you can get it on ebay......it should say in the title it will work for an auto also or it will be in the description.

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion tC Intakes