Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default clutch issue

I replaced the clutch in an 05 scion tc. It will now (while started) not go into gear.

So I had it towed to a shop (tranny shop), and they have taken out the parts I put in, and they said that all work I did was fine!, but they put in a close to OEM clutch kit from autozone... still no dice.

So they replaced the master cylinder, and slave cylinder. Someone had taken the slave apart and put a bolt in there to extend the rod..... but they do not want to do that, they say that they need to put in a factory spec. from toyota clutch kit and that should take care of the problem.

Any ideas guys / gals, if this is true????
Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Need more info. With the engine off, will it cycle through gears? When you say won't go into gear, do you mean it physically won't shift into gear? Or shifts into position, but doesn't engage when you let the clutch out?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member

Sorry. Yes car starts fine. While off it will shift just fine. When running it will not go into gear. .. almost like it's not disengaging to allow it to go into gear.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, the fact that the slave was modified points to someone having had this problem in the past. Perhaps the Fork is bent? have they tired replacing it? Even just a slight bend would cause problems. By changing clutches AND not replacing that extender, they kinda changed 2 things at once. Which sucks when you're trying to pinpoint a problem. The Slave replacement might have worked if they had left the extension. If you can purchase a new fork (that you can return if unused), then you could compare it to the one in your car to see if its correct. Then install if necessary or, return if not needed. Other than that, perhaps you were sold the wrong throw-out bearing? If its just a few thousandths of an inch too narrow, it will affect engagement, or the wrong diameter. As it will contact the Clutch Pressure Plate in a different location and that will affect how far the pressure plate is retracted.

Hope Something of what I have said helps. Let us know.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member

Ok. Update....

Had it towed to another shop. They said that the release arm could possibly be bent or worn out, that it could also be where it pivots. I drove it back to its owner this evening... does anyone know if at 70mph, the rpms were at 3k. Is that normal?
Old 11-28-2014, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

How do I find a new throw out bearing arm.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member

Default Transmission

I had same problems when i installed act clutch kit with disengaged. Took it to trans shop paid thought they fixed it they didnt. Duno if u figured it out. Yet but what i did was where your clutch pedal is underneath u can adjust that little fork so i took that off and welded a couple of nuts onto it that would Thread onto master cylinder or slave i forget but the one that goes onto the firewall and that worked perfect or u can get extended pushrod one that goes into rubber boot.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had my clutch replaced and Im having this same problem. My engagement is all over the place tho. Sometimes its so low that the clutch doesnt fully disengage, and it wont go in/out of gear. Other times its so high that I accidentally end up in the 4k-5k RPM range waiting for it to grip. My mechanic says its because its a hydraulic clutch and there's nothing he can do... Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's strange. If the engagement point changes, that suggests a problem in the hydraulic system. You may have air in the system, a leak somewhere, or the master or slave cylinder could be failing. You can sometimes tell if the master is failing by looking at where the pushrod of the MC comes in through the firewall (behind the clutch pedal). If it's failing, you may see evidence of leaking fluid.

The slave cylinder you can check by having someone press the clutch pedal while you observe the piston that pushes on the clutch fork. It should extend and retract freely, and should remain in the extended position while the pedal is held down. You can also check for signs of leakage around the slave cylinder, particularly around the rubber boot that goes around the piston.

Besides that, trace the clutch line from the SC to MC and check for any leaks. It's possible that a line or fitting was damaged when the SC was moved to take out the transmission for the clutch install. I can't really think of anything else without actually seeing the car. Start with the easy stuff like bleeding the system and checking for leaks.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bb thanks for the info. Ill definitely check out those spots. Another symptom is that its making a clicking feeling/sound in the pedal, its even audible with the radio off. IDK if the original poster is having these same problems, I dont mean to steal his thunder.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

The clutch fork or release fork is supposedly bent a bit. so to properly fix, I need to get a new one of those, and of course add the right longer push rod in the slave.

Anyone know where I can get just the fork I guess its called the throwout bearing arm or fork.

I am thinking about creating a Facebook group, anyone intersted? Let me know email me at jasen.yhwhdesign @ gmail.com