Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

The COMPREHENSIVE thread on NST (NonStopTuning) Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure what you're asking. Lightened inertial mass and underdriving are both solid principles which free up horsepower.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ground_assault
Originally Posted by adg016
If your car is a serious track car, do ask Mike about the underdrive WP and Alt pullies. Street-only...not really necessary.
so are you saying that i wouldn't feel a difference like did when i installed the crank pulley? i just want to know if it is worth it or not..my car is an everyday driver but maybe after i get a supercharger i would like to take it down to the track..maybe race against some other automatics lolz
You will DEFINITELY feel some nice gains by switching to NST pulleys.

What Dan was referring to is the fact that we have the ability to build different custom pulleys (other than what we sell for street cars) that will provide exceptional gains for RACE CARS. Cars that will never see street use, cars made to be driven on race tracks only.

For 99.99% of those who post on ScionLife, we have been building the pulleys that we offer on our website since January 2005. These pulleys are ALL specifically designed to give you the best of both worlds... street use and track use.

Go with NST and go home happy
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

is there a DIY on crank pulley install anywhere? i know how to do it, just need some tips on the best way to take it off, i dont have acces to air tools, but i have all the sockets and wrenches needed as well as a pretty big breaker bar! lol
Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
is there a DIY on crank pulley install anywhere? i know how to do it, just need some tips on the best way to take it off, i dont have acces to air tools, but i have all the sockets and wrenches needed as well as a pretty big breaker bar! lol
Here is a good installation guide of the Underdrive Crank Pulley on the 2nd gen xB...
The installation process for the Scion tC is the same...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...028679#4028679

Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Damn thats a good DIY! The guy who did it knows his stuff.

Anyways, I ordered from NST directly on a Wednesday and expecting it to be at my door the following week, I received it Saturday!

Install was very straight forward and I hope that my fellow xB owners have an easier time installing these with my DIY.

For the price, you really can't beat the performance that was felt gained by just the pulley alone. I was always afraid of the crank pulleys because I had owned a HEMI truck before and had seen horror stories of aftermarket pulleys on V8's, but after reading and doing research on I-4's and such, I have no problem installing crank pulleys on any of my lesser cylinder cars.

All-in-all, great product, great price for power!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

still havent installed my pulley yet, was about to attempt the install when i heard a weird rattle, nothing related to the NST pulley, but as of right now i have a very nice looking paperweight, lol

hopefully toyota will find the problem and ill be installing this soon!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

on another note, why are the people on yoursciontc.com so damm negative about the crank pulleys? i mean damm, people cant mention a pulley over there without getting flamed to oblivion!

i have yet to hear of a pulley being the direct cause of engine failure, jeeezzz

lol
Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
on another note, why are the people on yoursciontc.com so damm negative about the crank pulleys? i mean damm, people cant mention a pulley over there without getting flamed to oblivion!

i have yet to hear of a pulley being the direct cause of engine failure, jeeezzz

lol
You're right. There are a group of people who have never seen NST pulleys in person, much less done any testing with them, nor have personal experiences with them... who claim that they will lead to premature wear and tear on the engine.

And then you have another group of people who have been using NST pulleys on their own cars for the past several years. 100% of these people have been happy with their pulleys, 0% of them have had any problems. You can find their testimonials on the following forums...

www.ScionLife.com
www.YarisWorld.com
www.Club4AG.com
www.8thCivic.com
www.MicroImageOnline.com
www.XR-Underground.com
www.86garage.com
www.houston240sx.com
etc etc etc

Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, Snopes is an entire website devoted to urban legends. The reason it exits is because a certain segment of the population spreads misinformation based on half-truths or no-truths. Something about certain people's human psychology seems to perpetuate this.

But again, the fact that an entire website exists to debunk any number of myths tells you everything you need to know about just how many are going around.

Best advice is to use your own brain and do plenty of research from RELIABLE sources. If something doesn't make sense or seems fishy, it probably is. If you don't know much about an area or topic to even know whether to be suspicious, find an expert(s). The trick is knowing who does and who does not have copious knowledge on the subject matter.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^jesus Dan, you just made my brain hurt a little, lol

but i think i got your point, thanks! lol
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NST FTW.

Underdrive crank and overdrive alternator here (damn you ridiculous water pump location!). Still going along just fine.

Throttle response and acceleration were noticeable improved immediately after install. And I would seriously hesitate to say that about any "bolt on" mod. I'm still trying to convince myself there was a reason to install my intake - but I would definitely recommend the pulley set.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i bought your pulley 3 years ago....and after a lot of research i took it off, and to my surprize the tooth was chipped and could have caused a lot more problems in the long run...thank you for taking my money
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

^tooth? what the hell are you talking about, lol?

NST pulleys don't have "teeth" are you talking about a cam gear?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metalranger33
yea i bought your pulley 3 years ago....and after a lot of research i took it off, and to my surprize the tooth was chipped and could have caused a lot more problems in the long run...thank you for taking my money
I'm not sure I understand your post entirely... but if you are referring to the keyway on the crank pulley, this is not something that sounds normal. This should definitely not be an issue if the pulley is installed correctly.

The pulley must be installed perfectly straight. Jamming the pulley onto the end of the crank snout at an angle, or applying too much pressure via the use of a hammer or mallet to slide the pulley on could potentially, theoretically, lead to such abnormal wear.

I am not suggesting you did a poor job of installation, just pointing out some possible causes for what you described.

We have members that have been running these pulleys since 2005. No one has EVER posted any problems due to NST pulleys.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck with all your future projects!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any other user reviews from NST pulley owners would be MUCH appreciated. Please don't be shy to post your positive feedback if you have any! We would certainly appreciate it.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I Have known Mike and NST for your almost two years now and I have all the pulleys you can get of a tc I have had the crank pulley for about 2 years and over 20,000 miles on them. Have not a problem what so ever. They look good and perform good too. So I recommend anyone out there that want a little extra power and looks should get these pulleys.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From http://www.myspace.com/nonstoptuning

NonStopTuning (NST)
web: www.NonStopTuning.com
phone: 281-917-0221
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member

I installed my CR-Lite a couple of days ago. Installation was very easy. The hardest part was getting the belt back on by myself.
On first look the pulley is well made. Upon closer inspection I found a burr where the timing mark was punched. This was large and sharp enough that I think it would have damaged the edge of the belt. I was able to fix it easily with a flat file so not a big deal. The belt tracks straight without any noise.
Throttle response is greatly improved and the rpms come down much quicker. The engine runs smoother and is a little quieter. When I installed my intake I gained power but there was a dip in the midrange. The powerband feels more even now.
Overall I'm happy with the pulley and recommend it for the reasons given earlier.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Garage1217 has rolled NST pulleys for YEARS, even before scion existed! STELLAR product!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome pics! Some of those pulleys are very old school!!!

Quick Reply: The COMPREHENSIVE thread on NST (NonStopTuning) Pulleys