Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Megan Drift Spec melting bumper..

Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM
SL Member

Default Megan Drift Spec melting bumper..

I know this has been covered before and I searched trying to find answers... with that being said, I just got the Megan Drift spec for my 07 tC, and its literally melting the f*** out of my bumper. I know many people have this problem but mine seems pretty bad for some reason. I tried zip tieing it over and such, but it seems it raised the exhaust and now it burned the top . Wondered if anyone had any suggestions before I go to an exhaust shop and see what they can do. Heres a little vid before I moved it over even more just so yall can see whats going on (its significantly worse now)
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can get a cf heat shield..i have the same exhaust,and my bumper is melted also im gonna pick up that heat shield
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I'm not an exhaust guru at all, so hopefully some of the Ol Gs will shime in with a better suggestion than mine

I had a Tsudo exhaust, angle back, no issue, then I changed to SRS cat back exhaust and kept my axle back tsudo exhaust, first thing I notice is that the SRS, and Megan exhaust pipes are a bit shorter than OEM or Tsudo

on my SRS cat back i was running a spacer, looks like an exhaust gasket, but its stainless steel and its about 2" thick, that alow me to push the exhaust back some.

I recently changed my s pipe (was runing an ebay spipe) and I switch it to SRS, which is almost identical to megan, and guess what, it was short, needed to run another 2" spacers (came with it)

then I got a custom set up with magna flows cats, resonator so I havent faced this issue.

try running a spacer first, specially on the connection of the mid pipe to the axle back...see if that pushes the exhaus out a bit...

if not an exhaust place can bend your axle back a bit, so its not pointing to your corner of th bumper but i woudnt recomend that, since you have stock back bumper I would just get the exhaust shield, maybe your cheapest fix...

just to weld custom exhaust hangers to move your exhaust some, it may run you 50+, if you were in Philly, i'll introduce you to Scott's Exhaust, so he can hook you up with some exhaust work.

before custom exhaust

after - HKS axle back, custom pipes

Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI
First pic is an SRS axle back
2nd pic is actualy older than the first and thats my Tsudo exhaust

3rd and 4th pic show my HKS exhaust, notice a few black stains on the bumper, but it is not burnt or melted at all, just once every 2 weeks it gets stains since i'm runing an antifouler on my spipe, runs a bit lean...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i have that same exhaust and it was melting my bumper 3 days after i had it, Get the heat shield, i paid 80 bucks for mine.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

C12 Carbon Components actually has them for 59.99 now
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

there 60 bucks is nothing, better than getting undr your car and hoping it dont fall on you!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 AM
SL Member

Looks like im going to have to buy a heat shield I guess. This is really depressing me lol, I love driving around town and then I gotta get out and inspect the damage of what it might have done. Either that or try a spacer or something, my car was pretty much immaculate until this... damn you megan racing haha.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 AM
SL Member

I got the exhaust over a good bit to the middle so where it shouldnt burn anymore, but im just still trying to figure out if it is still. Hard to tell if its just what was left over from it being burnt for the first couple of days, or if its still chipping away at it. Regardless im going to fork over the money for that heat shield. Oh yeah I got one more question, when I do get the exhaust situation straightened out, is there a way to repair the areas that were melted, if so how?

Last edited by SWtCinNC; 07-17-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your worried about it causing any more damage, get some exhaust wrap and wrap the end of it until you get the heat shield. Or for a permanent solution, have a muffler ship rebend the piping a little to where it doesnt burn the bumper
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 PM
SL Member

Alright, thanks for the suggestions!