Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help..Manual transmission wont go into gear..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 AM

Default Help..Manual transmission wont go into gear..

Need help diagnosing my issue. I think my transmission crapped out on me today.... or could it be a clutch issue??

I can't get it to go into any gear. I played with it for a little bit and finally got it to go into gear but the shifter seems like it binding on something.
the car moves when its in gear but it doesn't shift smoothly.. sometimes it wont go into gear..sometimes it will.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-28-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have problems with all gears, it sounds more like a clutch hydraulic issue. Have someone press the clutch in while you look at the clutch slave cylinder at the front of the transmission bell housing. You should see the piston moving out when the clutch is pressed. Also check for leaks at the slave and master cylinder. If all looks well, bleed the clutch (and brakes while you're at it) with fresh Dot 3 or Dot 4 fluid.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
If you have problems with all gears, it sounds more like a clutch hydraulic issue. Have someone press the clutch in while you look at the clutch slave cylinder at the front of the transmission bell housing. You should see the piston moving out when the clutch is pressed. Also check for leaks at the slave and master cylinder. If all looks well, bleed the clutch (and brakes while you're at it) with fresh Dot 3 or Dot 4 fluid.

I hadn't thought about doing this so i was hoping this might be the cause. but Unfortunately it looks like my slave cylinder is working as it should. It moves when i press the clutch pedal...
Old 02-23-2015, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may also have a bent shift fork inside the transmission.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Greg S
You may also have a bent shift fork inside the transmission.

is tranny replacement only option or can this fork be replaced by me. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but never opened up a tranny before.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcer904
is tranny replacement only option or can this fork be replaced by me. I'm fairly mechanically inclined but never opened up a tranny before.
The fork can be replaced, but take in mind I'm guessing here. As for DIY I'm not sure. I watched my mechanic replace my clutch a couple weeks ago. Lets just say I'm not going to tackle it anytime soon and I'm very mechanically inclined. If it wasn't my daily then I would go for it but not if I wanted it back together at the end of the day.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a great thread in the tech/DIY section that details how to disassemble the tranny. I used it to install a quaife LSD. FYI, I'm not saying it's impossible, but the clutch forks are pretty beefy. It would take quite a bit of effort to bend them.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM

hmmmm.. i wont be able to tear it down till this weekend. crossing my fingers it might be something i can fix.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM

I came across this thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-176208/page2/
seems like these guys are saying it might be a broken pressure plate spring on aftermarket clutch but I have a stock clutch.....hmm.. and thread never mentions what finally fixed the problem..
Old 03-02-2015, 10:28 PM

ok well, after further inspecting I think this was the problem a chuck of metal from my oem clutch disc broke off. I'm guessing that this metal got jammed somewhere in the clutch mechanism not allowing me shift. some photos below..

I bought a new clutch from pepboys but it was a cheap clutch to get me going again. I hope i didn't make a mistake of buying a cheap clutch.. luk brand from pepboys( seemed a lot less heavy duty than the oem toyota clutch)
Attached Thumbnails Help..Manual transmission wont go into gear..-123.jpg   Help..Manual transmission wont go into gear..-12331.jpg   Help..Manual transmission wont go into gear..-qwe2.jpg  

Last edited by tcer904; 03-08-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:35 AM

Default problem still not solved..unfortunately

okay so. finally got a around to getting everything back together and guess what. the problem still exists.. so just spent all that money on another transmission put in a new clutch.. and still have a problem not being able to shift......

good news now though is i have an FSM to help troubleshoot. I'm still having the same problem I can't shift gears when the car is started.. but when the engine is off.. i can shift the gears..???

i'm going to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders.. and hoping that fixes this problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:29 PM

so this morning i messed with it some more.. trying to diagnose the problem..

here's another thing i noticed today...

If i pump the clutch pedal a few times.. it will allow me to shift.. while the car is running.. however..just one press of the clutch pedal doesn't allow me to shift to any gear. I wish I would have done this before i pulled the tranny and the clutch.(even though the clutch needed replacing anyway)

so really the only thing left here to to replace the clutch master cylinder.. while i'm at it might as well change out the slave cylinder at the same time..
Old 03-28-2015, 08:46 PM

Default problem fixed

so i finally got around to installing the new slave and new clutch master cylinder.. and everything seems to be functioning as normal now..

so all this time it was a bad clutch master cylinder.. well least i'll have a spare manual tranny now and another motor to start my turbo build up..

by the way it helps to have one of these pneumatic evacuator/bleeder also.. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8374_200008374.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sucks you had to do all that, but glad you were able to fix the problem. I actually have a spare trans myself (from an 03 Camry), which I am almost done installing a quaife LSD. Hopefully it'll be in in a few months, and my turbo kit shortly after.
Old 04-05-2023, 10:09 PM

Default Same problem.

Hey man, this is almost 10 years later, I don’t even know if you’ll reply or even see this anymore. You did good except for the trabsmission part, probably didn’t need to replace it. But the clutch was broken so there’s that. The slave and master cylinder may or may not have needed replaced. I bought a 2006 with a spongy/soft pedal. I replaced the clutch master cylinder, that fixed the problem halfway, but now the gears were a little hard to get in, they would still go in. I drove it a little like that, then one time I parked it on a hill and put it in gear since e-break doesn’t work. I think that made it worse because now gears are not going in, even with the car off is really hard. I bleed the slave cylinder and adjusted it indiside where the pedal is, still no good. But now reading this thread, I think it’s either the pressure plate springs, the forks or (like it happened to you) the clutch is broken. Either of all of those the transmission and clutch have to come out so I’ll just replace all of it in the process. But I appreciate you taking the time to try and help us all.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jose21
Hey man, this is almost 10 years later, I don’t even know if you’ll reply or even see this anymore. You did good except for the trabsmission part, probably didn’t need to replace it. But the clutch was broken so there’s that. The slave and master cylinder may or may not have needed replaced. I bought a 2006 with a spongy/soft pedal. I replaced the clutch master cylinder, that fixed the problem halfway, but now the gears were a little hard to get in, they would still go in. I drove it a little like that, then one time I parked it on a hill and put it in gear since e-break doesn’t work. I think that made it worse because now gears are not going in, even with the car off is really hard. I bleed the slave cylinder and adjusted it indiside where the pedal is, still no good. But now reading this thread, I think it’s either the pressure plate springs, the forks or (like it happened to you) the clutch is broken. Either of all of those the transmission and clutch have to come out so I’ll just replace all of it in the process. But I appreciate you taking the time to try and help us all.

i have the same issue. Please help. Mine still goes through the gears while.off though