Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Help! Shifter won't move horizontally..

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Exclamation Help! Shifter won't move horizontally..

Was driving the other day, and my shifter locked up. It stuck between 5th and Reverse, but the transmission seems to be stuck in first gear... I've removed the center console, and inspected the equipment and cables to find that the lateral shift cable is locked in place and has maybe 1/8th of play back and forth... Got under the hood, and inspected the connections to the transaxle, the cable connections seem fine but the selecting bellcrank assbly is locked in place. I am unfamiliar with this transmission and would appreciate any help in getting this figured out. Clutch was replaced less that 500 miles ago, and it seems to be in working order.
2008 Scion tC, 5spd manual transaxle, basic. Got just under 60k on it and hoping warranty will cover or I can repair myself.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First thing I would do is unhook the cable from the transmission and see if it moves. That will tell you if the cable itself is bad or not. If everything with the cable is good, then I'm afraid your trans has to come back out.

Before that I'd try making 100% sure the system is properly bled just too take it out of the equation.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks for your time my friend, will definitely try those both, though I don't believe the system would need bled since it's been a couple of months since the clutch was changed out, but stranger things have happened. I probably won't have a chance to get to it until this weekend, but I will update then with the results. I really appreciate the input, it's been driving me up the wall since I can't find anything similar to the problem on the net. Now have a copy of the toyota scion repair manual, but it's a little like greek to me... lol <Fingers crossed>
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a problem. Wish I could do more to help. I'm actually dealing with crap because of my clutch so I've got to tear my trans out again also. Such a pain in the ___..lol
Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 AM

right there with ya. All this while trying to keep up my p/u too... Good luck with the clutch, hope all goes well.