Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Hesitation from accel. between shifting quickly at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Hesitation from accel. between shifting quickly at high rpms

Hey guys I'm posting this b/c I searched all over the internet and this site for the problem I am having and couldn't find anything on it, so I am sorry if I am repeating a post that already exists.

I have an '07 Scion tC in manual transmission with about 6,000 miles on it. The car is well broken in and has had it's oil changed once. My mods are an Injen CAI and a Megan racing cat-back exhaust so far. I have called my Toyota/Scion dealer to ask if this is a known issue with the '07 tCs and they informed me that they had never heard of it. (Don't know how accurate that is)

But anyway, here is the problem: I lined up with my friends '98 Honda Prelude w/ the H22 v-tec motor and we both took off in first gear. I brought first to just about 6,200 rpms and shifted quickly into second, giving wide open throttle. The car had a loss in power and it felt like my fuel pump shut off. After about one second I felt a buck and then the rpms began to rise again.This caused the prelude to pull ahead until my car was able to accelerate after the pause. I'm not sure if this is a feature all tCs have and if anyone was experiencing this problem?

It's not my shifting b/c I had a couple other guys drive it and they experienced the same problem. It also happens from 2nd to 3rd under fast shifting and high rpms.

Thanks for any replies
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have enough gas in the car? If you're really low on gas and are sloshing the fuel around in the tank the power can drop for a few moments and catch up again when fuel re-enters the line. Likely not the case if this has happened multiple times - but a thought at least (and it's not good for the fuel pump either).

Your CAI, it's specifically for an 07, right? If you have one for an 05-06, you'd have problems (actually, it probably wouldn't even fit correctly). And who did the install? Was the battery disconnected and then reconnected after the install? Did you let the car idle for a few minutes after you were done?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

I have always had enough gas in the car b/c I'm real particular about always keeping at least a quarter of a tank in it.

My Injen CAI is for the '07 as the mass air-flow sensor has been re-located. I did the install myself and made sure to disconnect the battery and connect it after I was finished.

I also remember coming across a thread from an owner of a celica gt-s referring to the same problem. Trying to locate a possible fix for this problem?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar problem like this, i was lined up with a 9p civic at a red light the cross light turned yellow so i rev'ed up to about 3500 rpm till my light went green and i floored it and dumped the clutch. Well i was a car ahead by the time i got across the intersection and i barely went over into the red rpms ( about 6500 or so) and my car just cut off for like 2 seconds and i want to say that all my gauges reset like when you first turn over the key they all flipped and such, well the other car slowed down and we were going about 40 and i was in 4th and we were going to do a rolling start and at the third honk i dropped into 3rd gear adn punched it i heard a knock and i wasnt going any faster so im pretty sure it kicked out of gear on that one but it happend right after each other so i thought i would say something about it. but im still trying to figure out why my car "died" then came back
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Hmm that story sounds a little different then mine. Sounds like your car shut off completely momentarily due to some kind of either mechanical or electrical failure. My car remains on and the gauge needles do not flip up and down as they do when you turn the ignition on. As for your third gear problem I would agree with you and say it wasn't fully engaged and kicked out of gear. Can you relate to the problem I am having? Does your car bog down for a short second and then start to accelerate again due to fast shifting and WOT at high rpms?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it has slightly but not as bad as your explaining so sorry for completly miss reading your post lol
Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 PM

That's fine don't worry about it. Has this problem ever happened to you? If not, I see that you also have an 07 tC manual so if you wanted to go out and see if your car does the same thing it would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

sounds like all of you are hitting the rev limiter.....if you are too high in rpm, the engine will cut fuel, until you're in the operating rpms, and the engine will cut out, until you shift or release the throttle......this is done so you don't over rev your engine.....when you race, sounds like you're not anticpating reaching redline, and you do know that you are losing power as you go above 5500 rpm to redline.....
Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no i didnt know that, is that because you hit the end of the power band? im not a racer by any means ha but thanks for the tip
Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
sounds like all of you are hitting the rev limiter.....if you are too high in rpm, the engine will cut fuel, until you're in the operating rpms, and the engine will cut out, until you shift or release the throttle......this is done so you don't over rev your engine.....when you race, sounds like you're not anticpating reaching redline, and you do know that you are losing power as you go above 5500 rpm to redline.....
ah u beat me to it. yeah u guys are shifting way too high in the RPM band...to get the most out of your car...you shouldn't shift after 5800 rpm's...you don't necessarily lose power...but ur not gaining any more and the car is pretty much standing still for the next 5-800 rpms. Just learn the correct shift points and you should be ok
Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the rev limiter is there so you dont shell your engine. It keeps the average joe from running it way over redline until it goes boom ;)
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on the 07's if you shift to late this will happen. i have had the same exact thing happen. if you hit the limiter in first then shift to second it hesitates a bit. shift a lil earlier and you'll be ok. the 07's power is a little more linear towards the end but you still don't gain anything shifting past 6,000rpms. try to shift at 5500- 5800rpms and you'll be a lot happier and so will your engine/tranny.

and for the people who have 05-06's the rev lmiter acts differently on the 07-08's. when you hit it, it feels like you hit a wall, the engine just stops revving and stays at 6500, it doesn't bounce like the prior years or like most other cars do.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea im gonna agree with the other guys on rev limiter. cuz mine chearps second real hard and chearps third quickly and i shift 5900. especially in first you have to pay close attention it comes very fast..
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostaddict
yea im gonna agree with the other guys on rev limiter. cuz mine chearps second real hard and chearps third quickly and i shift 5900. especially in first you have to pay close attention it comes very fast..
yea 2nd gear is easy but its hard for me to chirp 3rd since i put on the ingalls engine damper. i have chirped 2nd pretty nicely shifting even as low as 3,000-4000 though.

just shift earlier. i like my high R's but the tc isn't like a honda with v-tec, it makes all of it's power long before 9000 rpms.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exactly. you can still feel VVTI and with an intake their the pitch change so its cool but i agree Vtec is amazing and especially boosted vtech oh boy i loved that lol off topic but how do you like the ingalls? a lot of vibration or what??
Old 08-22-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
on the 07's if you shift to late this will happen. i have had the same exact thing happen. if you hit the limiter in first then shift to second it hesitates a bit. shift a lil earlier and you'll be ok. the 07's power is a little more linear towards the end but you still don't gain anything shifting past 6,000rpms. try to shift at 5500- 5800rpms and you'll be a lot happier and so will your engine/tranny.

and for the people who have 05-06's the rev lmiter acts differently on the 07-08's. when you hit it, it feels like you hit a wall, the engine just stops revving and stays at 6500, it doesn't bounce like the prior years or like most other cars do.
there is your answer! But I have no trouble shifting after the redline, but shifting before 6500 is a must. I must be 100% sure I'm off the gas before shifting. If not......... just shift earlier.
ALso.... if youre used to Honda transmissions and their willingness to be shifted fast, forget about that in the tC.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostaddict
off topic but how do you like the ingalls? a lot of vibration or what??
i like it a lot. it does make a little more noise and vibrates a bit at idle (only with the A/C on) and a bit when accelerating from idle sometimes(depends on how you take off). i don't mind it though, it has it's advantages. when i first put it on i was a little shocked at how i felt a bit quicker acceleration. greatly reduced wheel hop, a bit more traction, and a lot better shifts. i kept missing 3rd when shifting in the upper rpm's before i had it because the engine was moving so far.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanx for all the replies guys. I realize now that the hesitation is def. b/c you are too high in the rpms. Although it's pretty hard to shift before redline in first b/c the rpms jump up so quickly, I'll def. be watching closely to shift before then.

I'm so used to other cars being able to slam a gear quickly with no hesitation (my '91 Accord with H23 swap).

Does anyone know of a way to override that fuel cut? I'm not necessarily saying getting rid of the rev limiter altogether b/c that wouldn't be too smart. Just something to stop that hesitation b/c it's pretty annoying.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well you'll never be able to shift as "quickly" as a honda, or any older car, cause our cars are "drive by wire" which always has a slight delay....however this delay is so minimal it doesn't make that much of a difference.....you can get rid of the rev limiter, by gettin some engine management, but why....i would learn how to drive the car so you can shift approaching redline....but then again, why are you going that high so often? lol...remember the tC is NOT a sports car, and never will be regardless of the amounts of mods....even in my z, its drive by wire and feels the same, except i can set my redline on my car with a push of a button to a certain extent, but i just leave it at 7500 rpm, lol
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 PM

I see that you had a scion tc with the ZPI stage 0 kit. Did that trip a CEL? and if so what was it from and can it be avoided?

Quick Reply: Hesitation from accel. between shifting quickly at high rpms