Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Leaking Tranny Fluid from CV Axle/Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 AM

Default Leaking Tranny Fluid from CV Axle/Transmission

So after following this write-up: http://clubsciontc.com/forums/diy-in...post-id-533171
I replaced my passenger side CV axle. Drove it around the block, then again for a few miles, and it's still leaking transmission fluid. Where it's leaking is from what looks like where the shaft's end meets the transmission seal. Any ideas on this?

One possibility is that I overfilled. I put in 2.4 - 2.6 quarts, and I'm thinking there could be residual oil unaccounted for.

Another possibility is that the seal is damaged. Which I'm praying NO.

Another possibility is the axle has not seated properly (how can I ensure?)

Another possibility is the gear oil I used was a synthetic (mobil), and I'm not too sure that's what was previously used (it's a manual transmission).

Any help is MUCHO appreciated!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the shaft should just slide in and seat properly unless its not properly bolted to the support brace which im sure you did. the type of oil shouldn't cause the leak and you filled it the right amount. unfortunately it does sound like there is some sort of sealing problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had my old car that leaked at that point, it was the axle seal that was torn
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 AM

Anybody know how to properly remove and re-seat the transmission/axle seal? I've seen a few topics on this forum, but no conclusive and detailed information.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

i haven't personally done it myself, and i need to. i broke my seal when replacing my clutch, and it drips a tiny bit of trans fluid.

but, i have been told it's a pain in the ____ to change out the seal.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 PM

if it was like on a corolla 2001 just remove de cv axle remove the seal like you want and to put the new one in place take a socket that is the same sime as the seal and hammer it in place, please be easy on hammering!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, scenario; if it is the dreaded seal, how does one replace it? I dont believe I have seen photos of this anywhere on here.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its definitely the seal. taking cv's out of the trans just once can mess them up enough to cause them to start to leak you gotta take the axle out again and rip the seal out of the transmission and lightly hammer it back in til its all the way in. then slide your axle back in and tada. might be harder to do in your driveway. you gotta detach your tierods and shocks as well i would do it like they did

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138067

just so you dont have to take the axle off of the knuckle and just pry it off from the trans side
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplylibet
its definitely the seal. taking cv's out of the trans just once can mess them up enough to cause them to start to leak you gotta take the axle out again and rip the seal out of the transmission and lightly hammer it back in til its all the way in. then slide your axle back in and tada. might be harder to do in your driveway. you gotta detach your tierods and shocks as well i would do it like they did

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138067

just so you dont have to take the axle off of the knuckle and just pry it off from the trans side
The writeup you linked to here will help for the driver's side but if you read the OP this is the pass side which this method will not work due to it being longer and having the carrier bearing.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this is an old thread but this came up in a search for how to replace the axle seal. I just did this and it was pretty simple, here is how I did it.

1) Loosen lug nuts on passenger wheel.

2) Raise front of vehicle and place on jack stands.

3) Remove transmission drain plug and drain fluid. Replace and tighten drain plug when empty.

4) Remove passenger wheel.

5) Remove brake caliper and ziptie to spring out of the way.

6) Remove brake rotor and place on towel so it wont get scratched.

7) Remove speed sensor and ziptie to spring to keep it safe.

Remove 2 nuts and 1 bolt from lower ball joint.

9) Remove pin and castle nut on tie rod and hammer out joint.

10) Mark then remove 2 lower strut bolts making sure you can put them back in exactly the same or your alignment will be jacked up.

11) Remove 2 bolts on carrier bearing.

12) Remove entire axle assembly as one piece making sure not to bent the shield on the inboard end.

13) Remove 2 sprung bolts on front and 2 bolts on back of S-Pipe.

14) Unplug OS sensor then remove S-Pipe.

15) Pop out axle seal from transmission. It will want to fall in then just pull out on it's side.

16) Rub transmission oil onto outside and inside of new seal.

17) Push seal into transmission. I was able to push mine in by hand. Stop when flush with outside of transmission housing as there is no lip to stop it from going all the way inside.

1 Reassemble everything in reverse order making sure not to bend the shield on the inboard end of the axle. Use blue thread locker on the 2 nuts and 1 bolt on the lower ball joint.

19) With vehicle back on the ground and level, remove the reverse switch on the top of the transmission and the hand slicer bracket next to it.

20) Remove the fill plug on the front of the transmission and place drip pan underneath.

21) Using a long funnel, fill the transmission through the reverse switch hole until fluid comes out the fill hole (about 2.6 qts).

22) Replace fill plug and remove drip pan.

23) Replace reverse switch then hand slicer bracket.

24) Clean up your mess and enjoy!

I may have missed some little details because I just wrote this from memory. The bulk of it is here.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by csorrows
I know this is an old thread but this came up in a search for how to replace the axle seal. I just did this and it was pretty simple, here is how I did it.

1) Loosen lug nuts on passenger wheel.

2) Raise front of vehicle and place on jack stands.

3) Remove transmission drain plug and drain fluid. Replace and tighten drain plug when empty.

4) Remove passenger wheel.

5) Remove brake caliper and ziptie to spring out of the way.

6) Remove brake rotor and place on towel so it wont get scratched.

7) Remove speed sensor and ziptie to spring to keep it safe.

Remove 2 nuts and 1 bolt from lower ball joint.

9) Remove pin and castle nut on tie rod and hammer out joint.

10) Mark then remove 2 lower strut bolts making sure you can put them back in exactly the same or your alignment will be jacked up.

11) Remove 2 bolts on carrier bearing.

12) Remove entire axle assembly as one piece making sure not to bent the shield on the inboard end.

13) Remove 2 sprung bolts on front and 2 bolts on back of S-Pipe.

14) Unplug OS sensor then remove S-Pipe.

15) Pop out axle seal from transmission. It will want to fall in then just pull out on it's side.

16) Rub transmission oil onto outside and inside of new seal.

17) Push seal into transmission. I was able to push mine in by hand. Stop when flush with outside of transmission housing as there is no lip to stop it from going all the way inside.

1 Reassemble everything in reverse order making sure not to bend the shield on the inboard end of the axle. Use blue thread locker on the 2 nuts and 1 bolt on the lower ball joint.

19) With vehicle back on the ground and level, remove the reverse switch on the top of the transmission and the hand slicer bracket next to it.

20) Remove the fill plug on the front of the transmission and place drip pan underneath.

21) Using a long funnel, fill the transmission through the reverse switch hole until fluid comes out the fill hole (about 2.6 qts).

22) Replace fill plug and remove drip pan.

23) Replace reverse switch then hand slicer bracket.

24) Clean up your mess and enjoy!

I may have missed some little details because I just wrote this from memory. The bulk of it is here.

Hey which part did you buy to fix this? Is your transmission automatic?