Go Back   Scionlife.com » Scion tC First Gen » Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge » Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
5 Year Member
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to SoulXquisite
Default Low coolant Level - got a small question to ask.

My coolant tank is below the low mark, which it should be i think, but i decided to check to see if i did have coolant after about 30 mins of driving or so, but still the reservoir tank looked the same before I started driving. I was wondering if this is normal? I have the pink oem coolant and distilled water.

-my next question is if i were to top off my coolant is it from the radiator cap or in the reservoir tank? Tried looking on the forum and found someone saying to fill the reservoir tank?

-any help would be greatly appreciated

=)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
SL Member

You top off the tank, not the radiator. Check to see if your water pump is leaking.

100k mile club!
Vlad1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
5 Year Member
SL Member

FTR, OEM coolant is pre-mixed and shouldn't be diluted further.
jnaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
5 Year Member
SL Member

from the tank, u do the radiator is you want to flush it
fiendskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Resovoir tank
Tsudo 4-2-1 header w/spipe & cel eliminator, Tsudo Midpipe w/xtra resonator, TRD exhaust, Raceland CAI with cooling plate, Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, Ingalls ETD, TRD Lowering Springs, NST Underdrive Pulley, Raceland Front Strut Bar, Ingalls Rear Strut Brace Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, ES Front Sway Bar Bushings, Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, Carbon Fiber B-Pillar Appliques, Mod Express 6000k Hid's, NST Radiator Diversion Panel, OBX Pedal Covers, Foglights, Tints, Stoptech Slotted Rotors,TWM shift ****.
KillaSpiceTSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
SL Member

Location: Living in the Omaha, NE area, traveling all over the continent

The "low" mark on your reservoir indicates that if you're coolant level is below that line then it is too low and you need to add more. If you're just topping it off, then you should add it to the reservoir while the motor is running, however, if the reservoir is ever empty then you should check the radiator first (after the motor has cooled). If you can't see any coolant in the radiator or the reservoir then you need to find out where it's leaking from. In this situation the best way to fill it is to start the motor (when the engine is cool) with the radiator cap off. Fill the radiator as much as you can and then let it sit for a few minutes, then fill it again, wait, fill, wait, fill, etc... until you can't add anymore. This will help work the air bubbles out of the radiator and cooling system. You can also try bouncing the car to shake the bubbles out faster. Once the radiator is full, put the cap back on and fill the reservoir up past the "low" line.

FYI, you had the right idea with using distilled water, however what you should look for is de-ionized water, although most distilled water is de-ionized as well. Really though, it's alot easier to just buy the premixed 50/50 coolant, just make sure you get the right type.

If you've lost a little bit of coolant over a long period of time, then it's probably nothing to worry about. If it's losing a noticable amount of coolant in less than a month or so, then you probably have a problem. If you can see the leak and it's not the water pump, then you can keep driving it indefinitely, as long as you don't let it get too hot or run completely empty. If you can't see the leak, then it might be internal (such as a blown head gasket) and needs to be diagnosed immediately.

Hope this helps!
'89 Nissan 240SX, '96 Dodge B150 (Cargo Van), '98 Audi A4, '83 Datsun 280ZX, '85 Pontiac Firebird, '69 Chevrolet C1500 (pickup), '95 Pontiac Grand Prix, '71 Ford Gran Torino, '70 Datsun 240Z, '90 Nissan Stanza, '92 Nissan 240SX, '83 Dodge Ramcharger, '79 Saab 900 . . . I think that's all...so far.
Since I can only list Toytoa products in my avatar

Last edited by Un4Scene; 07-11-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Add more detail
Un4Scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
5 Year Member
SL Member

Send a message via AIM to SoulXquisite

-i don't think there is a leak, just filled the reservoir tank and did some spirited driving to hopefully get the coolant circulated. and so far its still on the full side. Ill check again when i head to work later. As for the coolant being pre-mix, it does have the water, but my dad(he is the one that bought the coolant previously) stated that the parts guy said it wasn't pre mixed. Odd 0_o
Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
SL Member

Because toyota parts guys are soooo knowledgeable. Toyota super long life 50/50 coolant comes premixed(even though it's 50/50).

100k mile club!
Vlad1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Premium Member
5 Year Member
Trader

SL Member

i think it even says so on the gallon tank as well....

Past:
2007 Scion tC RS 3.0--- SOLD on 3/29/2014
2010 VW Jetta limited----sold
1998 Plymoth voyager lol---wrecked and donated.

---------
I will never leave a fallen comrade....
RusWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2007, check, coolant, distilled, driving, fill, level, low, photo, reservoir, scion, tank, tc, topping, water, xa