Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

PCV Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Default PCV Questions

I am having a problem with my tc burning oil. I have a 2005 with around 171k miles.. I started noticing that my car was starting to use a little bit of oil. As time went on i noticed it was getting worse.. I replaced the valve and it seemed to help. The valve started making a bunch of noise about a week in. I bought the valve for napa. I just assumed it went back being a aftermarket one. So i ordered a new valve through my work from Toyota. Now after about 2 months its back to using about a quart every 1k to 1500k. I am also noticing a lot of oil in the tubing going from the valve cover to the intake. So my question, is there to much pressure in crank causing a bunch of blow by pass the valve? Also i notice my car has a strong rich smell coming from the exhaust after its warmed up. NO check light is on but im feeling like the cat might be getting bad alone with maybe the o2 sensor. I don't have a scan tool to hook up and look at the o2 graphs but i'm just kinda assuming from the smell.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Try doing a compression test, you can buy a tester for less then $20 or borrow one from autozone.
When you replaced the valve, did you look at any of the tubing and clean if necessary? It can get gunked up and clog.
Is there white smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Old 01-26-2015, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

White smoke would be antifreeze. Gray/blue smoke would be oil. Do a compression test, maybe your piston rings are going bad
Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Default Smoking

No there is no smoke coming from my exhaust. Just a strong rich smell. It does have a cat back tsudo system. Gas miles is between 28-30.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Doesn't seem to be using any antifreeze.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a compression test. That'll take piston rings out of the equation if its not rings
Old 01-28-2015, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota has been issuing letters to owners of tc1's for oil consumption. If you haven't gotten one, contact them and have them check your VIN. If it's covered, they'll ask you to take it to a dealer for an oil consumption test.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:08 AM

Ok thanks I will do that for sure! I have another question now about my 02 sensors.. I looked up on the data stream on my scan tool. There was an option for a af sensor 1/2 volts __ the reading for that stayed around 3.35v during idle and would drop as low as 2.0v and go up to almost 3.7v during 2000rpms. it would then level off to around 3.4v. o2 sensor 1/2 volts ___ it really did about the same as the other one.. i have a feeling that the front o2 sensor is getting bad.. i have no check engine lights, but i notice it smells rich. I do have a tsudo catback system so i dont know if that would cause it to run rich either. Thanks for the help. I plan on doing a compression text tomorrow after work and ill let you guys know what i found out.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's about normal for the O2 sensor readings. I keep mine up on my tablet with the Torque app and that's where it reads most of the time except when in gear decelerating then it slams to 5 volts and the a/f goes to about 18.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 AM

Alright I'll check again tomorrow. Just seems a little sluggish to change. I always thought the rear O2 sensor sould always change and never level off. I could be wrong. I haven't kept up on my O2 knowledge.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xxmanrd92xx
Alright I'll check again tomorrow. Just seems a little sluggish to change. I always thought the rear O2 sensor sould always change and never level off. I could be wrong. I haven't kept up on my O2 knowledge.
Oh, I misunderstood. Yes, it should constantly be changing. Mine sits around 3.2-3.5 most of the time but is fluctuating all the time, so yes I would have it checked out or changed.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 AM

Ok so I think i fixed the o2 sensor problem.. today I ordered a OEM sensor from Toyota and installed it after work. After the car warmed up I hooked up my scan tool to watch the charts. Within minutes i noticed a big change.. at idle the volts ranged from around 2.3 to almost 4. As soon as i held it at around 2600 rpm it flat lined around 3.2 -3.5. I then took it out for a drive and at around 60mph it stayed around that 3.2-3.5 volts.. Also after taking a little glance at the intake i noticed everything was really loose i tightened everything and cleaned the MAF sensor as well. Car seemed to idle a little better and i noticed a different smell coming from the exhaust after just a 30 mile drive! Now back to the oil problem.. As i was glancing under the hood i noticed a little oil on the back of the valve cover.. I looked a little closer and noticed A LOT of oil running down the back of the motor on the passenger side next to the VVT sensor.. I took out all the coil packs and noticed oil starting to leak a little.. So maybe thats where some of my oil is running off to.