Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Problem: MAF Cleaning & Oil Change

Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Problem: MAF Cleaning & Oil Change

I disconnected the battery then the MAF sensor. I spray on MAF cleaner. Did the oil change: Didn't miss a step. Then I realize I miss the other side of the wires so I spray once more. Did 10 sprays each time (Just like what the directions stated.) Waited another 10 minutes.

Reconnected the sensor & battery....

Now my engine is idling below 500 RPMs and the needle is jumping. I tried disconnecting battery and connecting again (about five times.) One of the times, it was above 500 but I remember A/C switch is always on when you turn on the air system. So I turned on the air to turn off A/C and it dropped under 500. Ran rough again. One of the times, the car did stall and CEL came on.

--------

I forgot when do MAF cleaning; do the air filter. So I'm hoping thats the problem. I am cleaning the CAI filter @ this moment.

Or am I screwing up the torque with the battery?

Please any thoughts?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wait did you spray the sensor ot the wiring clip?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its gonna take a few miles for your Ecu to learn itself again. the more you disconnect it the more you start over. I had the same issue yesterday . I disconnected my battery to redo my amp wires. and it was idleing way way to low. but after i drove it for a while. and it went back to normal.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, thats correct skakemokid. the reason for that is because scion tc's uses flybye wire . and eleminated the idle control valve, the ecm has learn value capability and will adjust idle by opening throttle plate as needed. the more carbon builds up on the throttle plate the lower your idle will get but ecm will adjust throttle plate before you'll ever notice any changes, but only capable to adjust for a small % . so when ever removeing or disconnect your battery your eraseing all its learned values and will return to factory specs and will cause low idle or stalling may even turn engine light on
Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cmcpride
yes, thats correct skakemokid. the reason for that is because scion tc's uses flybye wire . and eleminated the idle control valve, the ecm has learn value capability and will adjust idle by opening throttle plate as needed. the more carbon builds up on the throttle plate the lower your idle will get but ecm will adjust throttle plate before you'll ever notice any changes, but only capable to adjust for a small % . so when ever removeing or disconnect your battery your eraseing all its learned values and will return to factory specs and will cause low idle or stalling may even turn engine light on
sir,
You are the man!
I knew it relearned it, but didnt know why. Thanks so much for the info.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All better now!

I didn't idle the car long enough for the computer to reset when disconnecting the battery.

Apprently: MAF, CAI filter clean, and Royal Purple oil change is a deadly combo! I barely can keep the speed at 65 when driving on the country roads
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar issue after cleaning my MAF, though it cleared up once I reconnected the sensor to the harness.